The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

14 hours ago, LTbear said:

Fantastic spot. Denali is an incredibly beautiful, wild, and unforgiving world. The landscape is so different from anything south of Canada.

It's an amazing place.  Driving home from work last night I saw 2 caribou, 2 moose, and a grizzly bear along the highway.  A good night for critter viewing.  

If you ever get up this way, give me a holler.  I can give you the locals tour.  My wife and I live off the grid if that type of thing interests you.  We can throw some moose back strap on the grill and listen to the wolves.

Thanks for the pics.  That goes for everyone who posts their shots.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

If you ever get up this way, give me a holler.  I can give you the locals tour.  My wife and I live off the grid if that type of thing interests you.  We can throw some moose back strap on the grill and listen to the wolves.

Absolutely will do, and that sounds like the perfect evening. I plan on coming up there one of the next two summers. 

2 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

It's an amazing place.  Driving home from work last night I saw 2 caribou, 2 moose, and a grizzly bear along the highway.  A good night for critter viewing.  

Thanks for the pics.  That goes for everyone who posts their shots.

That sounds awesome.  Talk more about living off the grid.  Aren't the winters brutal or are you going to say the best thing about the cold is that you can always add more layers, whereas with the heat, you can only take so much off.  Pretty sure I fucked that up but am interested.  

Staghorn Plantation, outside Durham. Very interesting place -- in the late stages of the slavery economy, the plantation owners build dormitory style housing for their slaves in hopes of appearing more humane. In one sense, it worked great: productivity soared. In another, though, it failed miserably. No one bought the "kinder, gentler" slavery malarkey.

May be an image of tree and grass

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 9:51 PM, Mdhorn said:

That sounds awesome.  Talk more about living off the grid.  Aren't the winters brutal or are you going to say the best thing about the cold is that you can always add more layers, whereas with the heat, you can only take so much off.  Pretty sure I fucked that up but am interested.  

The Winters can be a challenge.  It gets cold...very cold.  But after 13 years this native Texan has acclimated.

I can write pages about where and how we live.  Anything in particular you are interested in?

2 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

The Winters can be a challenge.  It gets cold...very cold.  But after 13 years this native Texan has acclimated.

I can write pages about where and how we live.  Anything in particular you are interested in?

Mostly just getting away from people.  After some reading, I'm pretty sure I'd die up there. Although I love a good fire and clean living, I've always had thin blood and prone to really hate the cold.  I enjoy hearing and watching the local foxes cry when they mark their territory here, I can't imagine hearing wolves.  I've heard lions bring down a cape buffalo followed by hyenas but can't imagine the howl of wolves.  That's pretty freeing and has to be satisfying thinking you're far away from the maddening crowd.    Plus, I'm pretty sure my wife would leave me.  That would be a hell of a proclamation.

Edited by Mdhorn

Got invited to go shoot some pictures for a friend who was doing a scouting report on a baseball player at a local high school. Challenging. Changing lighting, umpires and shit constantly getting in the way, changing locations kept fucking with my meterinig/settings. Had fun but it had a steep learning curve. Kid didn't do anything noteworthy in the game, he's leadoff hitter and plays shortstop. 

DSC_8648_00001.thumb.jpg.666ae1b151038e9a55a93ec161184dbf.jpg

WEAVER_JPEG.thumb.jpg.8f9d497237e9915de9f4a5cde5a8e512.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 5/7/2021 at 9:37 PM, Mdhorn said:

Mostly just getting away from people.  After some reading, I'm pretty sure I'd die up there. Although I love a good fire and clean living, I've always had thin blood and prone to really hate the cold.  I enjoy hearing and watching the local foxes cry when they mark their territory here, I can't imagine hearing wolves.  I've heard lions bring down a cape buffalo followed by hyenas but can't imagine the howl of wolves.  That's pretty freeing and has to be satisfying thinking you're far away from the maddening crowd.    Plus, I'm pretty sure my wife would leave me.  That would be a hell of a proclamation.

If you truly hate the cold, Interior Alaska is not for you.  Normal Winter temps are anywhere from 20 to 40 below zero, with a few 50 and 60 below days mixed in.  The coldest I've seen was 72 below.  The Northern Lights make the cold worth it.  If you've never seen them, layer up and get outside.  They are otherworldly.

The wolves are my favorite critters in the woods.  For some reason they speak to my soul.  Grizzly bears are a close second.  It's always a thrill to see a bear.

4 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

If you truly hate the cold, Interior Alaska is not for you.  Normal Winter temps are anywhere from 20 to 40 below zero, with a few 50 and 60 below days mixed in.  The coldest I've seen was 72 below.  The Northern Lights make the cold worth it.  If you've never seen them, layer up and get outside.  They are otherworldly.

The wolves are my favorite critters in the woods.  For some reason they speak to my soul.  Grizzly bears are a close second.  It's always a thrill to see a bear.

That’s more than enough cold for anybody. I’m out. But agree with you on wolves. They’re smart social, really have individual personalities and mate for life. There’s definitely something mystical about wolves. I can watch bears all day long.  They just go about their business unless people interrupt them. Unfortunately people bother everything.There’s prob something really freeing about nice days after crazy adverse weather conditions.

Edited by Mdhorn

There was a street art thing this past weekend, local artists covered 3 blocks of Austin avenue with chalk art. Street was closed Saturday and Sunday, cones put up around the art to keep folks from walking on it, vendors aplenty blah blah. Heavy rains yesterday plus a couple days of traffic on top of the artwork. Providing context because it's pretty much just a snapshot without it. Probably still is even with context, lol. So temporary street art with Hippodrome theatre built in 1914. Some sort of juxtaposition of the temporary and the permanent blah, blah. An excuse to get out with camera at night pretty much. And like a lot of what I'm still doing is more research than anything.

DSC_9132_00001.thumb.jpg.b16f79e515a6cd09d3101d3f1780e6e2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Physically how far were you from the wolves?

"Too close" is the best answer. I was walking along a road between vantage points. I saw this one a hundred yards away, walking straight down said road. I started taking pics, just knowing that any second he would veer off into the brush. Except, he never did - he just kept waking, straight at me. Hard to describe my mind at the time; it was screaming to get out of the way but to also not move suddenly, that surely it's going to veer, etc. All in seconds and really my brain just froze. In the end, I was slowly backing up, and had gotten to the right shoulder of the road when the wolf got to the same section of road, straddling the dividing line. It stopped and looked at me for a few seconds, not even ten feet away, then walked off into the brush. Insane. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

"Too close" is the best answer. I was walking along a road between vantage points. I saw this one a hundred yards away, walking straight down said road. I started taking pics, just knowing that any second he would veer off into the brush. Except, he never did - he just kept waking, straight at me. Hard to describe my mind at the time; it was screaming to get out of the way but to also not move suddenly, that surely it's going to veer, etc. All in seconds and really my brain just froze. In the end, I was slowly backing up, and had gotten to the right shoulder of the road when the wolf got to the same section of road, straddling the dividing line. It stopped and looked at me for a few seconds, not even ten feet away, then walked off into the brush. Insane. 

Awesome experience.  Glad you survived.  I have had close encounters with moose and bear while hiking.  Coming across wild animals can be both thrilling and scary at the same time.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Doug, I need help with an ID on this one.  They were fishing in the Katy Prairie...

spacer.png

Eastern Kingbird. I had one on my fence a couple weeks back, very elegant looking flycatcher.

easternkingbird2.jpg

Edited by DougO
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Dude, you are killing me with these pics. I was up in Yellowstone and GTNP this past October and this is making me want to go back now.

I've been 6 times in 4 weeks. Nowadays I can't imagine living anywhere else. 

2 hours ago, LTbear said:

Three hours north of Yellowstone

I work remotely due to Covid.  I can work from anywhere.  I am looking to avoid the oppressive East Texas heat this summer.  Got a spare bedroom or sofa?  I am honest, dependable, hard-working and self-sufficient.  I wouldn't be in the way.  I just need a place for a base of operations.

21 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

I work remotely due to Covid.  I can work from anywhere.  I am looking to avoid the oppressive East Texas heat this summer.  Got a spare bedroom or sofa?  I am honest, dependable, hard-working and self-sufficient.  I wouldn't be in the way.  I just need a place for a base of operations.

I can understand the desire to escape the oppressive East Texas heat (I grew up in East Texas), but my house is going to be pretty much full all summer with family and friends taking advantage of me living in Montana (understandably).

1 minute ago, LTbear said:

I can understand the desire to escape the oppressive East Texas heat (I grew up in East Texas), but my house is going to be pretty much full all summer with family and friends taking advantage of me living in Montana (understandably).

Ok, I guess friends and family trumps complete strangers even if he is a fellow Horn!!! lol 

Have been watching a hawks nest and the three little ones are almost all grown up.  Took photos with another camera but haven't looked at them yet.  I'm the worst photographer.  Couldn't figure out what was up with the outstretched wing in the last image of the hawk--has some marks on it.  And of course our local beaver.  

DSC00130.JPG

DSC00145.JPG

DSC00146.JPG

DSC00147.JPG

DSC00067.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3