The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And you know that it has seen you dozens of times.  Magnificent.

It was amazing how absolutely still, silent, and camouflaged she was. You could easily see how you could walk by them all the time and never have a clue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, LTbear said:

After living and hiking in the mountains for so long, knowing they're out there but never seeing one, this really felt like seeing a ghost.

IMG_20220115_163509.thumb.jpg.d6cedf083e92922da490e1293c519cb8.jpg

Whoa!! I do a lot of hiking and I am usually alone. I have come across black bears before but never a big cat.

Just how far away were you? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn, those are awesome. I really like birds-of-prey.

Up here now we have eagles living on the river's edge. We didn't have that when I was a kid. Next door, in the pin oaks, there are hawks. In Pennsylvania I think we now have 12 different types of hawks. They are cool, noisy (in a good way) and beautiful.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Assuming that this is in Badaling, China?

Yup. I went over to Taiwan to visit my brother so we took his boy with us over into Red China.

We also hit Guam for a few days to relax and swim. I took 11 flight in 14 days that trip. The first time I had been there was in 1986 when my brother and I backpacked through Asia. It's kind of nice in the winter because there were very few people at The Wall so we could meander as we liked. But, it was pretty cold.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Yup. I went over to Taiwan to visit my brother so we took his boy with us over into Red China.

We also hit Guam for a few days to relax and swim. I took 11 flight in 14 days that trip. The first time I had been there was in 1986 when my brother and I backpacked through Asia. It's kind of nice in the winter because there were very few people at The Wall so we could meander as we liked. But, it was pretty cold.

Been to China numerous times and have been all over it. I have some pics somewhere of the Wall that I took in the far remote areas where all that are there are the farmers. It looks nothing like what is in your pic.

Edited by mininghorn88

2 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Been to China numerous times and have been all over it. I have some pics somewhere of the Wall that I took in the far remote areas where all that are there are the farmers. It looks nothing like what is in your pic.

That'd be cool to hit some of The Wall out west but, time just never permits that. Our first trip back in 1986 we were not on a tour. We had backpacks and the clothes we wore. Half of our backpacks were filled with toilet paper. We were in some crazy places where I guarantee that a good portion of the people we saw had never seen a white person, in person.

All in all, it was a great trip that I think was done at the perfect time, before tour groups ran roughshod over everything. We ended our trip on the beach in Phuket.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:08 AM, Lat22 said:

Technically, I didn't take the photo.  My Gamecam did.  We killed all of the fish in our pond in order to remove invasives before restocking.  Here's part of what showed up to eat them.  Outside of Richmond.

PICT4858_H_202201162130THKSz.jpg

PICT4859_H_202201162130mTUiF.jpg

Ummm....how did you kill the fish?

19 hours ago, LTbear said:

706759023_IMG_20220206_0629485.thumb.jpg.cbebfffcafe23b435f78c850d4ac8777.jpgradio-collared wolf in Yellowstone

Went to Yellowstone in October 2020. Came across the "wolf fanatics" looking through high-powered Hubble Telescope type lenses.  I got my binoculars out but could not spot them.  Fortunately the people shared their scopes with us so that we could see them.  Just hearing them howl sent a chill down your spine.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Went to Yellowstone in October 2020. Came across the "wolf fanatics" looking through high-powered Hubble Telescope type lenses.  I got my binoculars out but could not spot them.  Fortunately the people shared their scopes with us so that we could see them.  Just hearing them howl sent a chill down your spine.

Annoying background noise from one truck on the road that wouldn't shut off, but you can here them here

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LTbear said:

Annoying background noise from one truck on the road that wouldn't shut off, but you can here them here

Awesome stuff.  For the week I was there I got up every morning and went out to the Lamar Valley and never saw a one--nobody did.  Even saw the official followers that new them by number.  Listened to stories and saw a few grizzlies but no wolves.  That would've been amazing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Awesome stuff.  For the week I was there I got up every morning and went out to the Lamar Valley and never saw a one--nobody did.  Even saw the official followers that new them by number.  Listened to stories and saw a few grizzlies but no wolves.  That would've been amazing.  

Lots of luck involved. I've been to Yellowstone 30 times in the past year, and on 5 occasions I've seen wolves within photographic distance. 

22 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Lots of luck involved. I've been to Yellowstone 30 times in the past year, and on 5 occasions I've seen wolves within photographic distance. 

I would be even more worthless if I lived anywhere near Yellowstone that I could visit  often. I have only been twice in my life but I find it such a beautiful and wild place that would never get old.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

I would be even more worthless if I lived anywhere near Yellowstone that I could visit  often. I have only been twice in my life but I find it such a beautiful and wild place that would never get old.

It never does. Each trip is different.

I've decided to get back in the game and start up a mirrorless setup. Selling all my "old" gear if anyone here is interested (take whatever price you see on the links below and knock off $25 if you're in Austin). Gotta raise some funds to pay for this dang hobby:

Nikon D700 - https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1743461

Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR ED - https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1743463

Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG for Nikon - https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1743465

Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG Art for Nikon - https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1743466

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

I've decided to get back in the game and start up a mirrorless setup. Selling all my "old" gear if anyone here is interested (take whatever price you see on the links below and knock off $25 if you're in Austin). Gotta raise some funds to pay for this dang hobby:

Nikon D700 - https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1743461

Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR ED - https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1743463

Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG for Nikon - https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1743465

Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG Art for Nikon - https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1743466

Dang, I probably would have bit on that 70-200. 

I studied long and hard on mirrorless options, but just ordered a used D500 in excellent condition to get me down the road a few more years. Nikon loves people people in niche markets in a vice and squeezing hard. It took them ages to upgrade the D300, and now we're at the end of the line of DX format pro-ish sports and wildlife cameras with a model that's nearly 6 years old and the last copies running out fast.

The size, ergonomics, battery life and the Z electronic viewfinder are major concerns for me and the kind of stuff I do. And they just recently released some major DSRL big lenses in the last couple of years, which is weird. A lot of people aren't going to be happy having to use funky adapters on this huge investments.