The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

On 4/19/2022 at 1:46 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

No skills or equipment,  just looked up and thought the moon behind the clouds looked cool

Screenshot_20220419-134533_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f78ada9a9454dece16671562548f04c8.jpg

I'm a fan of cloud photos and have occasion to do a lot myself. That's a nice one with the moon behind it. But vertical photos tend to make me ragey. Try turning the phone sideways. There's probably a simple app to re-orient it for posting.

• Hook 'Em 2

This one was taken in Spring of 1990. Just six months after the Berlin Wall fell. My German cousin and I drove over from their town in the west. It was a fun day. All of the street names were not changed back from the East Berlin, i.e. Communist names so we had a bit of trouble getting around. One thing we did notice was all of the East Berliners taking microwaves, boom boxes, TVs, etc. back to the east. I do regret that summer not going back to see Roger Waters perform The Wall, at The Wall.

Reichstag.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/23/2022 at 12:00 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I am still editing photos from my recent trip.  Haven't sent off my film to be developed yet.  Have a friend in Marfa that is going to try and develop a roll that I TOTALLY fucked up and needs to be pushed 4 stops (yes, you read that right).  I am not expecting anything from that roll, but giving it a shot.  Anyways, about to edit some more photos, but here are some more...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The black & white photos are really cool. I also really like the train.

Just a cell phone pic, but little guy was struggling with a new mama - cousin bottle fed him back to health in a pen with mom.  He's doing better and she's "taking" to him now so we hope for the best.  She'd let him out and he'd run all over the place, but never too far and followed her like a puppy.

image.png.47fc06e8aedf5b6809fcbf32740f274c.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 10:44 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

More of my BS.  Sorry if I accidentally re-post anything.  Some from my trip to NM, some from a business trip to the Eagle Ford.

spacer.png

spacer.png

These two in particular made me think of Fandango, but they all speak to me.  Thank you for sharing the fruits of your talent with us.

9 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

These two in particular made me think of Fandango, but they all speak to me.  Thank you for sharing the fruits of your talent with us.

Thank you.  Really...these days people can scroll through thousands of images and have barely any emotional reaction to them.  I am glad that some of my photos are reaching folks on that level.  I did post the mission at San Elizario.  That is where the wedding in Fandango takes place.  I actually took a shot of the gazebo and mission in the background.  More of a snapshot for myself that I was there.  Anyways, look me up some time.  Arthur Andersen Dallas.

Here are a few more shots from the trip.  Hopefully I don't repost any...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Thank you.  Really...these days people can scroll through thousands of images and have barely any emotional reaction to them.  I am glad that some of my photos are reaching folks on that level.  I did post the mission at San Elizario.  That is where the wedding in Fandango takes place.  I actually took a shot of the gazebo and mission in the background.  More of a snapshot for myself that I was there.  Anyways, look me up some time.  Arthur Andersen Dallas.

Here are a few more shots from the trip.  Hopefully I don't repost any...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I see you got by Wheatland on your trip...nice shot

6 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Assuming that these are all in Yellowstone or the Tetons.  Are you having to get off of the beaten path for these shots or are you able to see them from just driving around?  Incredible is an understatement!

Little bit of both. I see a lot from near roads and trails, but some just wandering out into the hills. 

I have been possessed to dip a toe into the mirrorless world, for various reasons. I ordered the Nikon Z Fc, which is the one that looks like an old manual focus camera from the 80s. I didn't get it for that reason, it was just down to the cheapest, smallish one I can keep in a bag or coat pocket when I'm carrying the big gear around, so it was between that and the Z50. The Z fc is two years newer, otherwise almost identical specs, and I think it will be more comfortable for my fat fingers without the built-in grip so close to the lens. I'm getting the adapter so I can try it out with my other stuff, maybe the less weight will come in handy. 

I may also be coming into a humongous Z lens in the near future as well, so I would have something to hook it up to.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

Also a few years back. Waiting for our train to arrive for us to head to NYC for the Big East Tournament. It took a couple hours more by train, than it did to drive but, the train left us off at Penn Station, right next to MSG so we didn't have to worry about parking or traffic. And, you could bring your own cooler on the train, which we did for some snacks and drinks.

That picture is looking east from the Greensburg Amtrak station.

SDC12458.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Pretty bummed.  Got the scans back for a few rolls of film.  The Cinestill 50D I shot on my AE-1 are mostly ruined.  The lens my dad bought with the camera body in 1979 is likely useless now.  I think the culprit is grease from the aperture blades.  But ultimately my fault for leaving the camera in my truck.  So now, I am going to have to buy a replacement 50mm 1.4.  Anyways, I also got two rolls shot on the Pentax 6x7.  Pentax shots are Ektar 100 and the Canon shots are Cinestill 50D.  Here are a few that I liked...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

Pretty bummed.  Got the scans back for a few rolls of film.  The Cinestill 50D I shot on my AE-1 are mostly ruined.  The lens my dad bought with the camera body in 1979 is likely useless now.  I think the culprit is grease from the aperture blades.  But ultimately my fault for leaving the camera in my truck.  So now, I am going to have to buy a replacement 50mm 1.4.  Anyways, I also got two rolls shot on the Pentax 6x7.  Pentax shots are Ektar 100 and the Canon shots are Cinestill 50D.  Here are a few that I liked...

They are pretty easy to take apart if you want to try to fix it. I fixed my FD 50 1.4 SSC myself that suffered from that issue.

Let me see if I have photos of it.

You’ll need this:

Neewer Camera Lens Openning Repairing Tool Kit Includes: 10-100mm Lens Repair Set with 3 Tips, 6 Screws and 2 Hexagon Wrench for Canon Nikon Sony Olympus DSLR Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0734PH87W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WYPBQT7HT5THXVZ8QXJ2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And something like this, BUT you can probably find a grommet or something similar in the hardware section at Walmart. I think that’s what I did.

Japan Hobby Tool Vacuum Pad Camera Parts Opener for Camera Lens Repair Made in Japan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013HFYKK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NM8185HTWMYDXBPPCJ9V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • Like 1

Found them.

You use the rubber stopper thing to remove the trim ring, then the spanner to remove the ring that holds the outer element, which then just kind of comes out. Then the aperture assembly comes out. I think I just soaked it in acetone (nail polish remover), but can’t remember for sure. Manually actuated it a lot to work the acetone between the blades to dissolve the oil, waited for it to dry, then re-assembled.

204da97926e6beb9844b0e1284ce38ec.jpg

2fbdec76b5d484156d9f23b867071cdb.jpg
4769eb503f154cb5217e0bda62564fa2.jpg
0528efc8757729453b9888c72785ff15.jpg
a2188b38cce7a1aedc99ab365dc68c5e.jpg
fd77fc4a8fb252e4e62d7c8ebd3f634a.jpg
22378f70140a081700f60206b5eff298.jpg
58cc0f58f0995097e615ae2bc245157f.jpg
7ed8fd24287e5d2a2a02b308019d3193.jpg

• Like 2

First mirrorless experience not going that great. I hate the viewfinder, hate the freeze up after each exposure. Got a lot of work to do to make this useable. I'm sure the huge lens is awesome but I can't use it for shit like this. Wish I could put it on my D500. There goes my retirement fund.

On 5/4/2022 at 7:23 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also took a picture of the Native American abandoned gas station in December of 2020.

On 5/6/2022 at 12:00 PM, DougO said:

First mirrorless experience not going that great. I hate the viewfinder, hate the freeze up after each exposure. Got a lot of work to do to make this useable. I'm sure the huge lens is awesome but I can't use it for shit like this. Wish I could put it on my D500. There goes my retirement fund.

which one did you get

19 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have been wanting to add a mechanical camera to my collection for some time.  There is a very good chance that I buy a Nikon F2 before the end of the weekend.  I know, I have a problem. 

I have a Nikon FM3a. One of the most technologically marvelous analogue cameras ever made. Just was a bit too late in the game. A shutter that goes all the way to 1/4000, works with or without a battery.

20 minutes ago, naija said:

DougO saw above that you got the Nikon Z fc. That's just a bad fit for what you wanted in a mirrorless. There really isn't an APS-C option that can be considered in the same line as a D500. 

Right, that's the problem. Nikon doesn't take care of my particular sliver of the market niche, the long lens sports/wildlife enthusiast. It was either the Z fc or the Z50, and neither really fit the bill. Still, I really don't like the electronic viewfinder, which they all have. Not sure how much better the top of the line stuff has, but I can't even think about pumping another 6 Gs into a Z9. 

have you considered Micro 4/3rds for that particular purpose if you want to go mirrorless? There is really no timetable for Nikon DX pro cameras in the mirrorless world. And given their strategy with DSLRs, waiting for DX mirrorless lenses could be even longer

I have a Nikon FM3a. One of the most technologically marvelous analogue cameras ever made. Just was a bit too late in the game. A shutter that goes all the way to 1/4000, works with or without a battery.

Those are pretty pricy these days right?

I ended up buying a F2 with a Nikkor SC 50mm F1.4 for $225.