The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

31 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Those are pretty pricy these days right?

I ended up buying a F2 with a Nikkor SC 50mm F1.4 for $225.

went and took a look. going for over $1000. wow. once again, kicking myself for not getting an M6 and Pentax 67 years ago

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, naija said:

went and took a look. going for over $1000. wow. once again, kicking myself for not getting an M6 and Pentax 67 years ago

That last 67 is like gold now.  I love my 6x7, especially that 105mm lens.  Considering buying and adapter so I can mount it on my EOS R.

Alright, some odds and ends...

Shot this with my phone in Santa Fe.  Not a great angle, but had I stopped and squatted down, surely he would have looked up from his book, which I didn't want.

spacer.png

I should have taken a shot of the sign across the street for the cafe of the same name.  It appeared in this season of Better Call Saul.

spacer.png

Near Grants, NM.  Pentax 6x7 Ektar 100

spacer.png

Shot this with the Pentax the day we got back from NM just so I could send the film off the next day to be developed.

spacer.png

Was down in the Eagle Ford for work...Runge house being reclaimed by nature...

spacer.png

Different angle of King of Wings in NM...

spacer.png

Today at the Englewood yard.  I am pretty burnt out on graffiti, but it is always there.  Plus, I tend to go down there often in the hopes of running into travelers.  No luck today.

spacer.png

5th Ward scene...

spacer.png

• Like 8

Nice.

I have some babies, too. I don’t hardly drive since I WFH, so some kind of warbler (I think) made a nest in my vehicle wheel well. Not as cool as screech owls, though.

Was kinda surprised they hatched since I noticed them the last time I drove and was away from home, but that was before they hatched. Since I park in the same spot, guess momma found em easily enough again.

454f05f90c590687fb73349c125a01cf.dng
a6af3ca2aef9382b2e6e908a2067f5c5.dng
549c7584afd07a14fe925f0fbe09738f.jpg

• Like 5

Finally tried scanning MF on my rig.

Definitely not as easy as scanning 135 slides, but it does work. I scanned each 6x7 frame (these are from my Mamiya RB67) using two overlapping shots, and stitched them in LightRoom. Depending on the crop they ended up at about 45-50mp each. I also finally busted out the macro rail I bought a month ago (didn’t need it for 135 scanning). It works well.

I only have a handful of reversal film images (2 rolls), but here are a few examples. I think they turned out well. I have posted the lab scan versions of these before, so sorry that they aren’t new. I could do the same with color negative film, but I haven’t bought Negative Lab Pro yet.

There’s some dust I missed cloning out (need to to a better job making sure the film stays clean next time), and some of these are kind of uninteresting, but this is a test more than anything. The goal was to be as good or better than the lab, and I think I did accomplish that. I also MUCH prefer my processing to the lab’s. It seems like the Noritsu scanners they are using leave a green cast/WB.

Ekatachrome E100 | Mamiya RB67

52074464265_5b1d26b5aa_4k.jpg

52072938902_8a6e42a4b9_4k.jpg

52073985253_9f310b9935_4k.jpg

52073985201_51e6ba0491_4k.jpg

52072943862_09f45ed95c_4k.jpg

52074218594_700184481a_4k.jpg

52074219339_c098e68d35_4k.jpg

52074219919_211cb4c0d5_4k.jpg

52074060573_3aa7c0e766_4k.jpg

52074068231_bfedee1f0f_4k.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

I've been going out so much I haven't kept up with what I shot. Mostly half-assed identification shots in bad light, but a few decent ones here and there.

purplegallinule.jpg

willetcreep.jpg

marbgodwitwillets.jpg

marbledgodwit.jpg

marbledgodwitflight.jpg

pipingplover.jpg

semipalmplover.jpg

baldeagletlp.jpg

I have some non-bird nature stuff taken while birding, but I figured I would post that stuff in one thread soon when I sort them out.

• Like 5

On 5/14/2022 at 10:19 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Finally tried scanning MF on my rig.

Definitely not as easy as scanning 135 slides, but it does work. I scanned each 6x7 frame (these are from my Mamiya RB67) using two overlapping shots, and stitched them in LightRoom. Depending on the crop they ended up at about 45-50mp each. I also finally busted out the macro rail I bought a month ago (didn’t need it for 135 scanning). It works well.

I only have a handful of reversal film images (2 rolls), but here are a few examples. I think they turned out well. I have posted the lab scan versions of these before, so sorry that they aren’t new. I could do the same with color negative film, but I haven’t bought Negative Lab Pro yet.

There’s some dust I missed cloning out (need to to a better job making sure the film stays clean next time), and some of these are kind of uninteresting, but this is a test more than anything. The goal was to be as good or better than the lab, and I think I did accomplish that. I also MUCH prefer my processing to the lab’s. It seems like the Noritsu scanners they are using leave a green cast/WB.

Ekatachrome E100 | Mamiya RB67

Great results. I would shoot more if I ever got around to developing and scanning at home

• Like 1

If any of you have been looking at Affinity Photo, Publisher or Designer software it is 50 percent off the rest of the month. They're like $27 each, one time purchase for keeps, and all pro quality and rated very highly.

I bought the Photo version a while back, but haven't played with it enough to get comfortable. It's very similar to Photoshop but has a couple of things that you have to get used to, and I haven't put in the time with concentrating on getting out during migration season. If you liked Photoshop before they went subscription cloud bullshit, I think Affinity is the way to go. It has great tools if not equal to PS, pretty dang close, and maybe better at some of them. 

I think I'm going to get the Publisher software and do some layout stuff I've been wanting to mess around with, maybe even the Designer, which is a sub for Illustrator.

If you're a lightroom guy, which probably the majority is nowdays, it's probably not your thing, unless you just want an alternative to check out for different stuff, which for the price is highly do-able.

I'm still using Gimp for my quick photo editing, but there are some things about it just just aren't' up to snuff. The sharpening seems to always be grainier looking than PS, for one thing. The retouch tools seem difficult to calibrate to be easily useable. Can't beat the price, though. 

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I need these kids to move out.

I am thinking they are Carolina Wrens.

fc3f3ae5a8400b72601d2d1cd0d4ca80.jpg

Most likely some kind of wren, Carolina, House or Bewick's (in this case maybe Buick's?).

Nesting period is 10-17 days. So if you can hold on for a week or so while longer the birds would greatly appreciate it and will be done.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

Many years ago a storm knocked a mockingbird nest out of a tree by the back porch and it was full of baby birds. The nest was wrecked. I scooped up the birds and reconstructed what was left of the nest as best as I could and put it on a cardboard box about the right size. I put the chicks in it and they seemed OK. I secured the box/nest in the fork of a cedar tree next to the spindly crepe myrtle it was originally built in (terribly choice for a nest, mockingbirds apparently not good at engineering and stuff). The parents accepted the nest and the family was back together! They seemed happy in their new modern digs. I was so proud to have saved them from tragedy. 

A couple of days later I checked and it was empty. No way those chicks were anywhere near ready to fly off. I assume snek or some other evil was the culprit. I resumed feeling that life sucks again, back to normal. 

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Many years ago a storm knocked a mockingbird nest out of a tree by the back porch and it was full of baby birds. The nest was wrecked. I scooped up the birds and reconstructed what was left of the nest as best as I could and put it on a cardboard box about the right size. I put the chicks in it and they seemed OK. I secured the box/nest in the fork of a cedar tree next to the spindly crepe myrtle it was originally built in (terribly choice for a nest, mockingbirds apparently not good at engineering and stuff). The parents accepted the nest and the family was back together! They seemed happy in their new modern digs. I was so proud to have saved them from tragedy. 

A couple of days later I checked and it was empty. No way those chicks were anywhere near ready to fly off. I assume snek or some other evil was the culprit. I resumed feeling that life sucks again, back to normal. 

Ha--came home one day and the baby mockingbirds are running around in the road so I scoop them up and put them back in the nest on the porch column.  Later I see a huge blacksnake wrapped around the column.  I most likely fed the blacksnake which made me sad but life, man.  How can you know all these things?  Guess it's more a look before I leap thing thing.   

Posted in CYHMWT but someone suggested posting here instead.

I have a Canon T3i that is ~11 years old and I’m interested in replacing it. I’m a simpleton that uses mostly a prime 24mm lens and sometimes the kit zoom lens, which are satisfactory for my purposes. Mostly pics during travel, landscape stuff, architecture, artistic nudes in nature, etc.

Looking at mirrorless cameras but not entirely opposed to another DSLR. Probably APS-C since that’s what I’m used to. Would like to spend under $1500 for camera and a lens. Video isn’t too important because I have an iPhone and a 4K Gopro for that.

Sony seems to be the leader in the mirrorless arena but their APS-C a6100/6400/6600 models are backordered everywhere due to an apparent chip shortage. I also think the ergonomics are pretty terrible because the cameras are almost too small with a poor grip for my hand.

Fuji has some models with high ratings - XT30, XT3, XT4. They have the same ergonomics issues for me, and the XT4 is in the price range of some full frame cameras.

Canon and Nikon have the best ergonomics because their mirrorless models are basically smaller DSLR bodies. Canon has the M50 Mark II which seems like a decent entry level camera but their M mount is about to be phased out in favor of APS-C R mounts. Nikon has the Z50 which also seems like a decent model and I can get it with a 16-50mm kit lens for $1200.

Or there’s a camera store near me than has a Nikon Z6 body used in mint condition for $1200. That means switching to full frame but I also get perks like IBIS.

Sorry for long post. Appreciate any input.

I have an EOS R and am very happy with it. It’s a little more than your budget, but can be found new with a very nice 24-10mm lens for $1800 I think. Or maybe go used and find it for less.

One of these gearheads in here will have better suggestions. I only replied because of tasteful nudes.

• Like 1

Not happy with my first mirrorless Nikon. About five minutes looking through the video monitor and my right eyeball is shot. I fucking hate it. And it's a terrible match for the huge lens I bought that I wish was compatible with DSLR, but never will be. As far as I can tell the lens is awesome, but I don't forsee a decent camera option to use with it for a good while. Can't throw down another fortune for a Z9 after the lens purchase. And I have no ability to check out any of the current models with my own hands and eyes. 

Camera seems OK except I just can't see shit with it, and the AF seems like a step down from my D500. Can't really tell if my shit is in focus that I think it should be in until I put the shots on the big PC screen.  And on the Z Fc the manual controls are way too easy to move accidentally. Maybe I can bypass them, but the rig is just too damn small. I don't know if the Z6/7 series have any better viewfinders. I could return the camera, but have nothing to replace it with and would cost more money anyway. 

Probably a dumb decision to bust a move on the lens, but there are thousands of people out there that wish they could get one. I didn't figure I would get it for months while they filled the first and second round orders, but I used my NPS level clout with priority order, and unfortunately, to my surprise, it worked. 

Even when I'm not cursed I'm cursed.

As I spoke about here a while back, I bought a lightly used D500 for a grand a couple of months ago and I'm damn glad did. Didn't want to pay full price for a model that's now discontinued. Like wild-turkey, I'm a DX guy. I'll be using DSLR for sports and walk-around birds probably for at least another four or five years. 

I have a small cheap zoom lens I bought used for the Z fc mirrorless, but I haven't even put it on the camera yet after almost a month.

17 hours ago, DougO said:

As I spoke about here a while back, I bought a lightly used D500 for a grand a couple of months ago and I'm damn glad did. Didn't want to pay full price for a model that's now discontinued. Like wild-turkey, I'm a DX guy. I'll be using DSLR for sports and walk-around birds probably for at least another four or five years. 

I have a small cheap zoom lens I bought used for the Z fc mirrorless, but I haven't even put it on the camera yet after almost a month.

Are you saying you have both a D500 DSLR and a Zfc mirrorless and you prefer the DSLR?

I'm starting to wonder if I should just replace my old DSLR with a current DSLR. Since I already have a Canon, that would likely mean the T8i. I can get a lot of the features I want, just without the smaller body of a mirrorless camera.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

Are you saying you have both a D500 DSLR and a Zfc mirrorless and you prefer the DSLR?

I'm starting to wonder if I should just replace my old DSLR with a current DSLR. Since I already have a Canon, that would likely mean the T8i. I can get a lot of the features I want, just without the smaller body of a mirrorless camera.

The D500 is the best camera I've ever had. My 6 year old one is getting stodgy and well past its exposure expiration date, so I got another one. There seemed to be no DSLR update in sight.

The Z fc is probably a nice camera, it gets good reviews, but going from the D500 and every other DSLR I own it is very challenging. Image quality is similar once you get it, but the viewfinder thing is tough to deal with. I can't see what I'm shooting nearly as well. I have only used it with an 800mm lens, so that adds to the challenge. Might not be as bad with a small lens, but for my eyes I just don't like the electronic viewfinder. And the external controls on the Z fc are a bit quirky.

The D7500 is another camera I use a lot when I don't want to put more wear and tear on the D500.  It's lighter, but does most of what the D500 can do with the same sensor/image qualty. AF is probably just slightly behind and you don't get as fast a frame rate. Factory refurbs of the D7500 were dirt cheap at one time, but now may be harder to find.

Higher end mirrorless may have a better viewfinder but I don't have access to one. They all seem way too small and lack the ergonomics of the D500 that makes things much quicker and easier. 

The D750 is also really good if you want to try an FX and get even wider with that short full frame lens, but I rarely pick mine up because I'm always trying to get the most reach with the DX body and long lenses.

• Like 1

A good friend of mine has a Z7ii and in my very brief inspection of it didn't seem too bad, but it was smallish. I just haven't handled enough or shot anything with it to know more. But even it has a hefty price tag and I don't think it will get me where I need to be with it.

A mirrorless would be great if the electronic viewfinder is way better than what I'm using, and could seamlessly and quickly flip from FX to DX mode with something close to the D500 pixels and quality. The Z9 by all reports seems like it could be that, plus the more manly pro build of it. But it is out of reach for a while. I hope Nikon will be filling that gap in between soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

If you like Canon and are accustomed to it and you have some Canon lenses then an upgrade used Canon DSLR body makes good sense. But see if you can get your hands on some mirrorless stuff and see what you think. It is definitely the future. I think DSLR will continue to be strong for a number of years to come, but without much/anything new coming to upgrade. 

MPB.com has good prices on used stuff, better than competitors, and they aren't charging sales tax, which makes the deal even better. Their only quirk is they are slow about updating your order status after you pull the trigger, but I've had no problems with them after three purchases in the past few months.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 2

I was going to recommend MPB or KEH as well.

MPB does tend to have better prices, and both give warranties.

KEH will get your order to you super quick, though. Use NORTHRUP-1 for 5% off as well.

I am in the still-rocking-a-DSLR club. I’ll switch to one of the Canon R models eventually, but my 5DIV is still awesome, and my kit for it is good.

I had one of those cheap Chinese L bracket knockoffs, but it developed play when tightened all the way. Bought a RRS in EX condition from KEH for like $80 (those things retail for like $200+ which is insane), and damn it is a nice piece. I hadn’t realized that it clamps onto the camera lug on the side for an additional mounting point. Anyway, I’m just trying to say that I’m still investing in my DSLR because it still makes awesome images. The mirrorless stuff has made incredible strides in AF and is now way better than DSLRs there, but the IQ is still going to be about the same on your keepers, so it just depends what you are looking for.

I am hoping to send off two 120 rolls of Ektar 100, and some 135 of Kodak Gold 200 and a boutique roll of Moonshot by next weekend.  I had that moonshot loaded in my Canon AE-1, but sat it aside while I waited for my 50mm to come in.  It finally did and I have shot about half the roll.  The Kodak Gold is the test roll from my Nikon F2.  Hoping a few shots are cool, but honestly I shot it rather quickly just to see how the lens is.  I am looking at a 35mm f/2 for it.  Also, Anton, I picked up some Ektachrome.  A box of 120 and one roll of 135.  Assuming I dig how that lens is working on the Nikon, I am going to feed it that roll next.

Anyways...a few recent shots, Canon EOS R and iPhone...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

I am hoping to send off two 120 rolls of Ektar 100, and some 135 of Kodak Gold 200 and a boutique roll of Moonshot by next weekend.  I had that moonshot loaded in my Canon AE-1, but sat it aside while I waited for my 50mm to come in.  It finally did and I have shot about half the roll.  The Kodak Gold is the test roll from my Nikon F2.  Hoping a few shots are cool, but honestly I shot it rather quickly just to see how the lens is.  I am looking at a 35mm f/2 for it.  Also, Anton, I picked up some Ektachrome.  A box of 120 and one roll of 135.  Assuming I dig how that lens is working on the Nikon, I am going to feed it that roll next.
Anyways...a few recent shots, Canon EOS R and iPhone...
52091377102_df4766cdf6_b.jpg
52092647904_ccafa3edfc_b.jpg
52088837092_112485aaa2_b.jpg
52073980443_7da8ddb7ac_b.jpg

Excellent. i need to go shoot some more of mine.

If you like Canon and are accustomed to it and you have some Canon lenses then an upgrade used Canon DSLR body makes good sense. But see if you can get your hands on some mirrorless stuff and see what you think. It is definitely the future. I think DSLR will continue to be strong for a number of years to come, but without much/anything new coming to upgrade. 
MPB.com has good prices on used stuff, better than competitors, and they aren't charging sales tax, which makes the deal even better. Their only quirk is they are slow about updating your order status after you pull the trigger, but I've had no problems with them after three purchases in the past few months.

Thanks for all your input. I ordered a Canon T8i from mpb.com, and since that was well under my original budget, I added a 10-18mm IS lens. The newer sensor and processor, plus the better lens, should be a noticeable upgrade in image quality. Plus, I’ll get a touch screen, better battery life, WiFi, etc.

I wanted a new camera before a couple of summer trips (Kauai and Corsica), but I’m a little busy to be learning an entirely new camera system, so this should keep things simple for me.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Both new Canon RF APS C models have animal eye AF, which is pretty great.

I've been wanting a mythical R7 for years now, so I had my pre-order in within 45 seconds of it going live.  Should be a nice camera to back up my R5, although it might be a bit rough switching between the two with the different control layouts.  Wish the LCD was higher resolution, and that there was a top LCD, but for $1,500, it seems like a solid value.

I just got done replacing the focusing screen on my F2.  I forget which type I had in there, but it was a microprism.  I am more used to the split screen rangefinder type (like on the Canon AE-1).  So I picked up a type R screen which has the split screen and also a grid for composition.  I still need to get the first roll developed so I can see how the lens and the light meter performed.  I don't want to put another roll through it if the meter isn't accurate.