The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

I have the Canon 5D Mark IV and the Canon 50mm F 1.2 lens.  I have been blown away by the low-light capability of this combination.  Here are some shots, all handheld, that I took while walking around Austin one night a couple of weeks ago.  Mind you I'm not saying these are great photographs, or even interesting, but you can see what the camera can do in these situations.

i-5gmWDSL.jpg

i-hRshJt6.jpg

i-FHshzjw.jpg

i-CcQKJhk.jpg

i-VVzmV9N.jpg

i-rVfbZMD.jpg

i-rMNCMRF.jpg

• Like 7

On 7/19/2018 at 10:34 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

I have the Canon 5D Mark IV and the Canon 50mm F 1.2 lens.  I have been blown away by the low-light capability of this combination.  Here are some shots, all handheld, that I took while walking around Austin one night a couple of weeks ago.  Mind you I'm not saying these are great photographs, or even interesting, but you can see what the camera can do in these situations.

i-5gmWDSL.jpg

i-hRshJt6.jpg

i-FHshzjw.jpg

i-CcQKJhk.jpg

i-VVzmV9N.jpg

i-rVfbZMD.jpg

i-rMNCMRF.jpg

Those are some cool night pictures. How much of that ability is the F 1.2 lens?  Novice questions but how do you this?  What mode etc?  Obviously no flash,  how do you get such photos without suffering blurriness from a prolonged shutter speed?  Thanks. I’ve got a more entry level Nikon dslr if that matters in you explanation. 

• Like 1

Those are some cool night pictures. How much of that ability is the F 1.2 lens?  Novice questions but how do you this?  What mode etc?  Obviously no flash,  how do you get such photos without suffering blurriness from a prolonged shutter speed?  Thanks. I’ve got a more entry level Nikon dslr if that matters in you explanation. 

Not HE but I will answer.

Yes, the aperture matters a lot. It’s also a full frame sensor which brings in about one stop worth of light more than say a crop sensor. We also call stops of light just simply “stops” or “EVs” (exposure values). Going up or down a stop means either doubling or halving the amount of light.

Also, high ISO on these newer camera sensors is pretty great.

I have the same camera, and I was able to get acceptable results handheld even at f4.0 in Carlsbad Caverns (pics above). In my case, the lens I used also has Image Stabilization. Nikon calls theirs VR (Vibration Reduction).

For example, shooting at F1.2 gives you about 3.5 stops over an F4.0 aperture. If you shot with ISO 3200, that would be 5 stops over a base ISO of 100. That would allow you to bring in 8.5 more stops of light (which is about 384 times as much) for the same given shutter speed as shooting at F4 and ISO 100, allowing you to keep the shutter speed relatively high. When you bring Image Stabilization into the mix, it allows for compensation of a certain amount of stops as well. A lens might have an IS value of 3, meaning that it can compensate for about 3 stops worth of vibration when shooting handheld. So, if you were going to shoot a night scene handheld at 1/160, using IS, you could shoot it at about 1/20, and then adjust you ISO to be lower for better IQ. Somewhere in there, you can find an acceptable result with your variables.

Also, this chart makes all those values and variables pretty easy to understand.

c56b1a114bcd655d095c74841251619f.jpg

• Like 1

What he said.  My F 1.2 lens doesn't have image stabilization, but it gathers so much light and the camera is so good with regards to noise that, for the most part, I'm able to steady myself well enough without a tripod.  If I get myself into a good position by leaning up against something, squatting down etc...  I can remain steady down to about an 1/8 second.  At ISO 3200, when things aren't moving, that works.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 9:29 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Not HE but I will answer.

Yes, the aperture matters a lot. It’s also a full frame sensor which brings in about one stop worth of light more than say a crop sensor. We also call stops of light just simply “stops” or “EVs” (exposure values). Going up or down a stop means either doubling or halving the amount of light.

Also, high ISO on these newer camera sensors is pretty great.

I have the same camera, and I was able to get acceptable results handheld even at f4.0 in Carlsbad Caverns (pics above). In my case, the lens I used also has Image Stabilization. Nikon calls theirs VR (Vibration Reduction).

For example, shooting at F1.2 gives you about 3.5 stops over an F4.0 aperture. If you shot with ISO 3200, that would be 5 stops over a base ISO of 100. That would allow you to bring in 8.5 more stops of light (which is about 384 times as much) for the same given shutter speed as shooting at F4 and ISO 100, allowing you to keep the shutter speed relatively high. When you bring Image Stabilization into the mix, it allows for compensation of a certain amount of stops as well. A lens might have an IS value of 3, meaning that it can compensate for about 3 stops worth of vibration when shooting handheld. So, if you were going to shoot a night scene handheld at 1/160, using IS, you could shoot it at about 1/20, and then adjust you ISO to be lower for better IQ. Somewhere in there, you can find an acceptable result with your variables.

Also, this chart makes all those values and variables pretty easy to understand.

c56b1a114bcd655d095c74841251619f.jpg

Thanks for this response.  I can't justify $700 for an F1.2 or even $400 for an F1.4.

I think I'm gonna get an F 1.8 lens and see what I can do shooting still objects at night with a tripod and slower shutter speed. 

On 8/31/2018 at 9:45 PM, Lhorn said:

Thanks for this response.  I can't justify $700 for an F1.2 or even $400 for an F1.4.

I think I'm gonna get an F 1.8 lens and see what I can do shooting still objects at night with a tripod and slower shutter speed. 

man those are cheap prices for f/1.2 or f/1.4 lenses

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff, man. Which Antelope did you visit, again? I’ll be going to Upper after Havasupai next month.

Thanks. Actually, we didn’t go to upper or lower antelope. They were all booked up, but it was for the better because they are packed with tourists. We did two different canyons. One called Secret Canyon and another called Canyon X. Honestly, Secret Canyon was the better of the two. Here is the tour company:

http:// https://horseshoebendtours.com

Thanks. Actually, we didn’t go to upper or lower antelope. They were all booked up, but it was for the better because they are packed with tourists. We did two different canyons. One called Secret Canyon and another called Canyon X. Honestly, Secret Canyon was the better of the two. Here is the tour company:

http:// https://horseshoebendtours.com

Awesome. I see those Canyon X signs every time I pass through there and I very nearly stopped last time.

We are doing the photo tour. It’s expensive af but I guess if I’m going once it’s gonna be worth it. Same with Havasupai.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a shot of this quick little hawk I've been seeing around for a couple of months, the Cooper's Hawk. I was driving up and saw it drinking from a puddle and it flew up to a branch. I ran into the house and grabbed my camera, had to change the battery, then back out the door to see if by any chance it was still in the same spot. I was able to sneak up on it for just a couple of seconds before it took off.

coopershawk.jpg

• Like 2