The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

I saw the specs of the R5 and thought I should hold off on a new body until I could take it for a spin.

Swayze, you’re using EF mount lenses with the adapter on your R? Do you see any downside to that? I can’t see myself reinvesting in focal lengths I already have.

53 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

I saw the specs of the R5 and thought I should hold off on a new body until I could take it for a spin.

Swayze, you’re using EF mount lenses with the adapter on your R? Do you see any downside to that? I can’t see myself reinvesting in focal lengths I already have.

I have one RF lens, the 24-105mm.  It is a really great lens.  But yes, for the most part I am using EF lenses with an adapter.  It is kind of pain in the ass.  I wanted to get the wide angle RF, but it is expensive, and now that I have been laid off, I don't see it happening for awhile.  Because the RF 24-105mm is such a great lens, I rarely pull the 50mm out anymore for portraits.  So I end up leaving the adapter on either my 100-400mm (for shooting birds, candid street shots, sometimes trains) or my 12-24mm (landscape and urbex type stuff).  But even then, when I see something that I want to shoot, and it has to be fast, I just hope I have the adapter on the right lens, or it adds another 20 seconds to the whole process of swapping the lens out and I might miss the shot.  Anyways, maybe one day I will have all the RF focal lengths, but not anytime soon.

Caught this guy today.  Shot at ISO 1600 with that RF lens.

49799497836_59b64d9582_b.jpg

• Like 6

I rather like my EF 24-105 II, as well. It doesn’t rate all that great on DXOMark (which is only numbers on a screen anyway), but the colors/contrast and IS are great (does 4 stops).

I just picked up a 70-200 2.8 III and thought about dumping the 24-105 for a 24-70, but I think I’m going to hold off on that because the 24-105 is such a good walk-around lens.

The R5 having IBIS makes it more enticing though. I am wondering if the IBIS can work with the IS in the lens and “stack”.

The RF/EF debate is an interesting one for sure.

R5 is overkill if you don't shoot video. And even then you better be shooting video on a regular basis and semi-professionally to start. Most home setups aren't exactly fluid with 4K video. At 8K expect to re-invest in a significant amount of hardware to maximize any of that. For stills photography, there are other cameras out there to match, and Canon will almost certainly come out with a separate camera that is more focused on stills but borrows quite a bit from the R5. There is also the question of sensor technology with Canon. They've lagged behind Sony and Nikon especially in dynamic range, so it remains to see how that side of the equation will turn out. But with photography GAS, I expect many people who don't need it will get it anyways. 

The IBIS in the R5 is expected to work with the OIS in the lenses.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:25 AM, DougO said:

I'm using a 500mm lens. It's a combination of having decades of experience with long lenses and moving objects and acquiring a lot of knowledge and experience in birding in recent years. I usually start with a base ISO of 400 and try to shoot at least 1600 shutter speed when possible for most birds. Perching birds you can shoot at much slower speeds, lower ISO or poorer light, but you have to be really patient, still and quiet. I crop quite a bit, but today's DSLRs have enough resolution that allow you to do so and still maintain a high res image. As far as focus points, it varies quite a bit on the particular subject and activity, whether I'm shooting perching birds on more open paces, or small birds in brushy spots, or flying birds and constantly moving birds.

which 500mm, the f/4 or f/5.6?

R5 is overkill if you don't shoot video. And even then you better be shooting video on a regular basis and semi-professionally to start. Most home setups aren't exactly fluid with 4K video. At 8K expect to re-invest in a significant amount of hardware to maximize any of that. For stills photography, there are other cameras out there to match, and Canon will almost certainly come out with a separate camera that is more focused on stills but borrows quite a bit from the R5. There is also the question of sensor technology with Canon. They've lagged behind Sony and Nikon especially in dynamic range, so it remains to see how that side of the equation will turn out. But with photography GAS, I expect many people who don't need it will get it anyways. 

The IBIS in the R5 is expected to work with the OIS in the lenses.

Definitely, though we haven’t heard the photo specs yet since that event was video-centric. The newer Canon sensors are comparable in low light at high ISO, they just aren’t quite as good at native ISO (though I’m betting this one will catch up).

Compared to the A7RII, which released one year before the 5DIV, the 5D is only .3 EVs “worse”. The A7RIII, which came out a bit over a year after the 5D, is 1.1 better. Sony even has the A7RIV out now, but the sensor is about the same as the III. I think a lot of it is just that Sony releases stuff on a much quicker timeline than Canon does.

But this does seem to be kind of a rehash of the 5DII release, which revolutionized the market quite a bit. This seems like it will do the same.

Finally, my Yashica arrived. This is my 3rd. The first, was not as good shape as I had hoped. So I bought a GL. It never arrived. Lost somewhere in customs in LA. This one is in good shape but a little bit of fungus in the lens. Looking into getting that cleaned. Have some shitty expired Fuji in it now to see how much the fungus is affecting the image and also just to get used to shooting with this camera.

3LgEMnzd_o.jpeg

My current line up:

nAShl31Q_o.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/22/2020 at 6:00 PM, El Diablo said:

A little better. We're supposed to have bright, sunny days thru Sunday so that's good and bad. Good because I can shoot a little smaller aperture and lower ISO, bad because it means more contrast. 

DSC_9257_00001_01.jpg

That's a good one. We had a rose-breasted grosbeak pass through this week and stop for a day at the feeder. I never get the camera out in time. Although they have bully tendencies, blue jays have a fair amount of personality and peanuts are like crack to them. If you have some plain peanuts or peanuts in the shell, and put them out at about the same time everyday you can get them to come round on a schedule and they'll come pretty close after awhile for you to get on film. We had about eight jays last year that would stop by in the morning. I often would put seed out while my husband was eating breakfast. The peanuts I would place in a little clay plant saucer by the doormat on the patio. If I was late, they would take turns and hop up to the door (glass) and stare at my husband as if they were asking him, "hey! where's the lady that gives us breakfast." I had a mama cardinal bring her chicks by that would do that too.

12 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

That's a good one. We had a rose-breasted grosbeak pass through this week and stop for a day at the feeder. I never get the camera out in time. Although they have bully tendencies, blue jays have a fair amount of personality and peanuts are like crack to them. If you have some plain peanuts or peanuts in the shell, and put them out at about the same time everyday you can get them to come round on a schedule and they'll come pretty close after awhile for you to get on film. We had about eight jays last year that would stop by in the morning. I often would put seed out while my husband was eating breakfast. The peanuts I would place in a little clay plant saucer by the doormat on the patio. If I was late, they would take turns and hop up to the door (glass) and stare at my husband as if they were asking him, "hey! where's the lady that gives us breakfast." I had a mama cardinal bring her chicks by that would do that too.

I bought seed from Tractor Supply and saw peanuts there but didn't look closely to see what species they were favored by. I've had a few cardinals show up, I think they prefer the sunflower seeds. I considered a hummingbird feeder but it's probably too urban and also too late in the year to get many of them to show up now. Pretty concrete-y around here.

3 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I bought seed from Tractor Supply and saw peanuts there but didn't look closely to see what species they were favored by. I've had a few cardinals show up, I think they prefer the sunflower seeds. I considered a hummingbird feeder but it's probably too urban and also too late in the year to get many of them to show up now. Pretty concrete-y around here.

With the hummingbirds, many have passed through, but sometimes one or two will stick around. I have two right now but we are suburban. I have tried to capture them on camera, but I do not have your skills.

Cardinals do enjoy sunflower seeds, but apparently peanuts are appreciated as well. They are a little pricier, however. I dole them out sparingly. The doves in our backyard enjoy sunflower seeds and especially like white millet (no racist) as compared to the red millet which they ignore. I usually buy from our Coop so I can get each separate as I can't recall if our Tractor Supply does that. TS has a good suet brand that is frequently on sale and I have it up until the temps get really warm. I don't care for the all-temp suet much. Right now, the mamas are all over it because of their chicks.

If you keep your feeder supplied, you would be amazed at the number of urban birds you might attract. It takes them awhile to find a feeder and make sure it's safe. It helps to think like a bird and look for spots for them to perch a distance away so they can look out for predators first. I moved our feeder a couple of times before finding a spot that worked well. I also had to move it once because squirrels can jump amazingly far and figured out that the baffle at the bottom could be defeated by launching from the tree. Ten feet was the final distance. Going to take a Bob Beamon squirrel to get to the seed now. I should take pictures of the squirrels. They are more likely to freeze when startled rather than the birds who flush and fly away.

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

With the hummingbirds, many have passed through, but sometimes one or two will stick around. I have two right now but we are suburban. I have tried to capture them on camera, but I do not have your skills.

Cardinals do enjoy sunflower seeds, but apparently peanuts are appreciated as well. They are a little pricier, however. I dole them out sparingly. The doves in our backyard enjoy sunflower seeds and especially like white millet (no racist) as compared to the red millet which they ignore. I usually buy from our Coop so I can get each separate as I can't recall if our Tractor Supply does that. TS has a good suet brand that is frequently on sale and I have it up until the temps get really warm. I don't care for the all-temp suet much. Right now, the mamas are all over it because of their chicks.

If you keep your feeder supplied, you would be amazed at the number of urban birds you might attract. It takes them awhile to find a feeder and make sure it's safe. It helps to think like a bird and look for spots for them to perch a distance away so they can look out for predators first. I moved our feeder a couple of times before finding a spot that worked well. I also had to move it once because squirrels can jump amazingly far and figured out that the baffle at the bottom could be defeated by launching from the tree. Ten feet was the final distance. Going to take a Bob Beamon squirrel to get to the seed now. I should take pictures of the squirrels. They are more likely to freeze when startled rather than the birds who flush and fly away.

I'm using the TS "Splendid Blend" and the black sunflower seed. Mix about 4 to 1. I'll throw a bit out on the concrete deck around the pool and the feeder is near a shrub. What spills out falls into the shade of the bush and they seem to like feeding on the ground as much as anything. Spotted a dove nest earlier today but it's located such that I really can't get close enough, just see them flying in and out. As for squirrels, we don't have any, thank God. There's only a couple of large trees on the property and nothing here for them to forage on anyway. It was supposed to be sunny today but turned out overcast for most of the morning and early afternoon. It's getting too late now and the sun is coming from a bad angle for the rest of the day for photos. I did manage to get this shot right before I called it a day.

DSC_9597_00001_01.jpg

• Like 2

I love that! You picked up the feather color quite nicely.

Doves do prefer ground feeding I believe. Our white wings use a platform feeder on a pole as well as the ground. Every once in a while a ring collared dove (don't know for sure if that's the name) will stop by. Very large bird and I never see more than just the one.

Sorry to take up space discussing the birds, but I love the bird photos as much as Swayze's abandoned buildings and everyone's nature photos and all the rest. I live vicariously through all of y'alls pics.

• Like 1

It seems like the last couple of months I'm dealing with challenging ambient light situations most of the time, whether it be crappy cloudy days, getting caught at bad sun angles, and "magic hour" sunset timing that makes white balance a bit of a nightmare. You can only do what you can do.

blackchinnedhummingbird

wilsonsphalorope

pipingplover3

spottedsandpiper

downygrub

bewicksspider

summertanager2

ladderbacktlp

avocetsflight.jpg

Edited by DougO
  • Like 4

On 5/2/2020 at 6:55 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck in dead tree.
d05165230b194a068bc119115c77e05e.jpg

Reminded me of a duck that I saw on Lake Mathis (some call it Lake Corpus) back in the summer of 1980. Buddy of mine and I were down there working for his uncle. The uncle was a dermatologist in Corpus but owned this marina on the lake and also had an "A" frame lake house. House was across the lake from the marina. Anyway we spent that summer which at the time was one of the hottest ever on record in Texas, living at the lake house and taking a v bottom aluminum boat back and forth to work each day. It was probably a 15-20 minute run across the lake. Crossing the lake involved passing a small island and one day while I was alone I decided to investigate the island. Hopped out and started to walk around and it was one of the weirdest things I'd ever seen. Ducks up in the trees and the ground was just littered with duck eggs. Ducks had no fear of me at all. Of course I'm thinking I'm going back to the house, get the gun and we're gonna be eating duck real soon. So I did and we did.

Now the upstairs of the house was a rental, some old retired guy who'd worked for a wildlife agency lived up there. In the evenings we'd sit out on the boat dock and fish for whites under the lights and sometimes the old guy would join us. One summer day right as the sun was setting we're out there and these birds are flying past giving a little whistle sort of a chirp as they flew. Old guy proceeds to tell us that these are yellow footed tree ducks and this is the only place in the world that they exist. He said that when he had arrived many years ago there were maybe only a few dozen left but that they set aside a sanctuary island for the ducks and had nursed the population back by hand raising baby ducks and protecting the species. 

I can confirm that they are a tasty bird.

Anyway, shot a couple of birds myself yesterday and today but not with a gun this time. Weird, can only get one to upload. 

DSC_0933_00001.jpg

Edited by El Diablo
only one pic :(
  • Like 2

On 5/2/2020 at 1:58 PM, Player said:

Swayze (or any other Houston area shutterbugs) - you may be interested in this flyover coming up on 5/8.

e047a8cebb0a1898cf61a6de74223a47.jpg

P-51, B-25, and several more vintage aircraft.

I am trying to figure out a good place to get some shots that are not too bland.  My wife said the Blue Angels are flying over on Wednesday as well.

Here is another shot of those Scissor-tails and a couple others...

49828355907_ae1c6fe3f8_b.jpg

49839745216_fd8f429dc3_b.jpg

49840049672_0b74a914be_b.jpg

49839171893_bc6e2c077f_b.jpg

49843377168_7fb7fa62d6_b.jpg

49856378978_8b3ae344a4_b.jpg

49843918391_502b65b753_b.jpg

• Like 4

They can't all be winners.  Good opportunity with this cow bird, but I should have tried harder to get both subjects in sharper focus, or perhaps just the bird.  Then the Dickcissel (I think that is the name of the bird, Doug?) was really soft (insert Beavis laugh), and I attempted to correct in Photoshop.

49884195226_e3cc4d157a_b.jpg

49884195466_cbab3ba164_b.jpg

49884195361_3245b8c465_b.jpg

49876412706_85ab30d4ae_b.jpg

I was scanning some photos for my brother and saw this one.  Nothing special I suppose, but a memory of a time and place.  Film shot with my Canon AE-1 of my kitchen when I was living in a rowhouse in a really crappy neighborhood in DC in 2001.  Kind of a still life I suppose.

49872654136_d9f29f61fc_b.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, nice dickcissel, a very colorful one.

As far as the cow and cattle egret shot it may be one of those deals with the atmospheric distortion thing with longer lenses. It seems like you've got it focused until you see it on your screen. I get that quite often, even when it's not really hot or anything.

• Like 1