The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

@Patricio Swayze this conversation made me think of your recent endeavors in book publishing. First 40 minutes or so are about the guests business bio but the conversation turns more to the nuts and bolts of getting published by niche companies doing smaller runs of books. MinorMatters, this lady's company, has a business model where they do not print unless/until they have 500 presales. Anyway, if you've got some time to sit and watch/listen to some folks talk about photography books and publishing, I found it interesting.

• Like 1

A few more from the zoo.  There's an elevated observation platform at the giraffe exhibit and underneath that is a vending machine area. Normally this area is blocked from a view of the giraffes by trees but now with a lot of the trees being bare I noticed a small viewing port. So some giraffe paparazzo/creeper style photos and one of what looks to be a giraffe with a giraffe growing out of his ass.
DSC_5887_00001.thumb.jpg.510e934947eb6805ceffce94135fdb36.jpg
DSC_5896_00001.thumb.jpg.f929a9973bab4601bf27bd5854fce8fb.jpg
DSC_5866_00001.thumb.jpg.9d5837818ea4a84ddfda99afb568e708.jpg
DSC_5859_00001.thumb.jpg.4c72e3a25d6b8178647c4a793f068687.jpg

The light here is fantastic. Nice shots.

2 hours ago, nycHorn said:

The light here is fantastic. Nice shots.

Thanks. The zoo hours are such that the only time you can get anything even approaching golden hour lighting is during the winter near the solstice right before the 5 o'clock closing. Also the way that the place is laid out/oriented it just doesn't lend itself to good natural light photos. If I get a chance I'll try some of the lion exhibit soon. I noticed this past week that the lions are spending some time in the sun late in the day but the direction of the light is more directly behind them and so a bit tricky. 

The other day I went to check out an vacant church.  I decided to not try to get in as the only way in was visible from a busy road.  I then noticed an abandoned house behind it with an open window.  I looked in and immediately realized it was the former house of hoarder.  I walked around front and saw that the house next door was also abandoned, door wide open and car in the driveway (obviously not moved in a few years).  I went ahead and entered both.  The hoarder house was insane, I hadn't seen one this bad in a very long time.  I never at any point touch or even saw the actual floor of the house.  I climbed over boxes, trash, furniture, etc.  It was exhausting and hard to breathe.  I took a few photos and left to check out the other house next door.  This one was not a hoarder, but obviously people had squatted in.  Not a lot of vandalism, but the house was structurally compromised (massive holes in the roof, collapsed floors).  I decided to return the next day with a friend and his girlfriend.  We sifted through both houses to see what we could find.  The hoarder house, we discovered, was last occupied by a deaf librarian.  The second house was owned by a gay nurse (I found his obit).  He likely lived in that house for the last 45 years.  It appears that neither had next of kin or anyone that cared to look through the houses for valuables.  However, the value of the lots is probably close to $1 million together.  The craziest thing is, the nurse died in 2018 and the power was still on.

Hoarder house:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nurse's house:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, CHIEF said:

These were just off my phone, but it is the beautiful clear sky with the thunderstorms that just rolled through on their way through Ft. Worth and Cleburne:

TStorm.png

TStorm2.png

CHIEF

I remember a sky a bit like that in '99 just before the Cash America building had all of its windows blown out. 

44 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I remember a sky a bit like that in '99 just before the Cash America building had all of its windows blown out. 

That was kind of strange time in my life. I had grown up in the DFW area, had family that lived in the vicinity of the tornado path. But, I was living in Austin, and it hardly made the news. It wasn't until I saw Weather Channel documentaries that I really realized how bad it was. Yet, when the F5 hit Moore, OK, it was all over the DFW news channels.

CHIEF

I am kind of shocked by the response to my book.  I decided rather than leave it open to sales, I am going to just make it a limited release.  I only have a few more available until its closed out.  I didn't expect to sell as many as I did...but the comments people have made to me about it or my photography has floored me.  I kind of needed this since I am having a hard time finding a job.

Then my younger brother, the best brother anyone could ever have, approached UH libraries about adding some of my photos to their permanent collections.  I read the curators reply and was so happy.  I am not sure what all will happen with that, but it sounds like they are very interested. 

Anyways...I have been out shooting here and there.  I really want to hit the road though.  Just tough to do right now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I really hope it meets expectations. Obviously you have seen most of the photos, but seeing on a page is different...at least to me. And I hope there is a flow to it that is enjoyable. Thanks.

Work in print hits different, I totally agree. I need to order some more of my own prints, speaking of.

I would recommend anyone here to get some fine art prints made of a few of their favorite photos. Use something nice, like Hahnemühle Photo Rag. As close to 300ppi as you can get and brighten it a bit from what you see on the computer screen. You’ll be happy.
  • Like 1

I bought a $400 dye based Epson inkjet printer last year and have been playing with it some. Bought some sample packs of Red River papers and tried most of the Epson papers. I've found several I like and though they're not "fine art" papers some are pretty hefty and have very nice finish qualities. Holding a print is, to me, when a photo is finished. Word of caution; ink ain't cheap, lol. Whatever, that's just part of having a hobby.

Not a good photo in and of itself but thought I'd post it anyway. The zoo tries to maximize the relatively small footprint that they have so they will frequently combine compatible animals in a single exhibit. In with the giraffes are some Greater Kudus and a couple of African Crowned Cranes. The zoo had 3 kudus a year ago, one male and two female. Then the male got sick and died. Not long after during a routine exam it was discovered that he'd left a progeny behind to carry on in his place. Baby kudu was born months ago but was just put on exhibit recently. I was taking pictures and was not prepared for what happened. The little scamp decided to gallop! You don't see much of that in a zoo. Most of the animals just kinda loaf around and the most excited they get is at feeding times. So out of the blue this little bugger goes bolting across the plains. I pretty much missed the shot due to slow shutter speed and not having a faster focus finger but whatever, baby kudu.

KUDU.thumb.jpg.9498940abfc56abb25c5c241ebb21a06.jpg

Saved me the price of a trip to Afria. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Anton, did you receive your book yet?  I saw that a few people out of state received theirs, so I hope the Texas folks all got theirs.

I did!!

I am legitimately very impressed, man. It is absolutely incredible work.

The materials feel and look very quality, too. I am totally digging it.

Thanks again.

Also, I bet you had fun packing all of that media mail, lol.
  • Like 1

I did!!

I am legitimately very impressed, man. It is absolutely incredible work.

The materials feel and look very quality, too. I am totally digging it.

Thanks again.

Also, I bet you had fun packing all of that media mail, lol.

Man...that means a lot to me that you like it. It’s a great feeling when other photographers appreciate one’s work. Thank you.

Haha, yeah, packaging it all up was not that fun. But it just snowballed. Now I have to do that last batch.
  • Like 1

Do you have a link to an order form? I didn't see it. 

I didn’t have a link as I was taking pre-orders and buying them personally to bring the price down. I also intended it to be a limited edition of 100. However, there are a few people who are still interested, but unfortunately it is likely not enough to get a price break (I need 10). Right now I think I have 3. I am away from my computer right now but can give a link later for anyone. It would be best if I could get 10 to get a bit of a break on the unit price. Thanks for the interest.

19 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I didn’t have a link as I was taking pre-orders and buying them personally to bring the price down. I also intended it to be a limited edition of 100. However, there are a few people who are still interested, but unfortunately it is likely not enough to get a price break (I need 10). Right now I think I have 3. I am away from my computer right now but can give a link later for anyone. It would be best if I could get 10 to get a bit of a break on the unit price. Thanks for the interest.

Sounds good. Mark me down for one in the event that you get to ten. 

OK...so I don't think I want to try and get another 10 orders and do all the signing and shipping again.  I intended this to be a limited edition of 100, but I am already over that.  However, if anyone is interested, I am going to leave this link up for a couple of days.  I am setting the price at the unit price (which means I am making no profit) of these last few sales.  Honestly, I only made maybe $3 per book on the other sales.  Who knows how much in gasoline I spent traveling Texas and the Southwest taking them.  So if interested, please follow this link to purchase.  Thanks for the consideration and support:
https://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/9056146/e433f65e28fc309d6c1556d144ae13b4daea509b
Got a few flicks today...
50903187896_fcb9899d72_b.jpg
50903306937_55db24d021_b.jpg
50902481573_e2104d217c_b.jpg

Man, those are incredible. I am jelly. I gotta go find them cool birds.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Anton Chigurh said:

Man, those are incredible. I am jelly. I gotta go find them cool birds.

This is mostly something I do with my Pops.  He loves photographing birds, so it is a good way to spend time with him.  He knows all the eagle nests in the area, but this one he has permission from the land owner to get close to.  Still, I am pushing the limits of my 100-400mm x 1.4.

The Osprey is a favorite of mine.  I hadn't seen one in awhile, but discovered this one the other day living in the middle of a highway interchange here in Houston.  Today we finally got some shots of him (and even more so than the eagles, this was just barely inside the usable range of my gear).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yeah, I need much more lens if I wanna do it seriously.

I need to rent a super tele some time.

Yeah, I think renting is the way to go.  I enjoy this kind of photography, but it isn't my main focus, and these long lenses are limited in the street.  One more...

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I am sure that taking some of these photos comes with some risks! I bet you come across a lot of different stuff; some good and some bad.

I see in the second photos a snapshot of a soldier. That is right up my alley especially if there is a unit patch on their shirt/uniform from WW2.

Quite a bit of risk.  But calculated.  I am glad you appreciate them.  I took this photo in an abandoned farmhouse not far from Houston.  I am thinking it was either the owner of the farm, or maybe a close relative that sent the photo and postcards.  It is sad that the next of kin didn't bother to collect these things from the house...just there wasting away.  Definitely WWII.

Edit:

I got into this about 12 years ago.  I come across a lot of interesting artifacts.  The most fascinating to me are from the 1930s-1970s.  I just posted a shot of an old bourbon bottle I found at an abandoned farm in the bourbon thread.  We are at the tail end of being able to find this stuff in "the wild" as most from this era have died within the last 10-30 years.  Some may think it is insignificant, but I think it is pretty important.

Edited by Patricio Swayze
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Quite a bit of risk.  But calculated.  I am glad you appreciate them.  I took this photo in an abandoned farmhouse not far from Houston.  I am thinking it was either the owner of the farm, or maybe a close relative that sent the photo and postcards.  It is sad that the next of kin didn't bother to collect these things from the house...just there wasting away.  Definitely WWII.

Edit:

I got into this about 12 years ago.  I come across a lot of interesting artifacts.  The most fascinating to me are from the 1930s-1970s.  I just posted a shot of an old bourbon bottle I found at an abandoned farm in the bourbon thread.  We are at the tail end of being able to find this stuff in "the wild" as most from this era have died within the last 10-30 years.  Some may think it is insignificant, but I think it is pretty important.

It is amazing what people toss aside. I collect WW2 memorabilia as seen in the Hobbies section here as well. I have pics and Western Union Telegrams stating that their husband/son has been KIA. Plus other stuff that you would think that family members would want.

It is amazing what people toss aside. I collect WW2 memorabilia as seen in the Hobbies section here as well. I have pics and Western Union Telegrams stating that their husband/son has been KIA. Plus other stuff that you would think that family members would want.

I agree. If you want, I can mail you the Army postcards from Germany I found. A couple have handwritten messages. DM me if interested.

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Y'all are going to be glad when I find a job and stop flooding the thread haha.

Aw HELL no!  You, Anton, Doug O, and the rest put art out here.  You make me want to give serious photography a try, but I don't have the talent or resources to do it, so I live vicariously through you.

I do want you to find a fantastic job, just keep the art coming, please.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Aw HELL no!  You, Anton, Doug O, and the rest put art out here.  You make me want to give serious photography a try, but I don't have the talent or resources to do it, so I live vicariously through you.
I do want you to find a fantastic job, just keep the art coming, please.

Thank you, and will do.

I have been mulling over creating a site to sell select prints. I do sell prints on request, maybe 20 or so a year. Not enough to live on obviously.

Took this yesterday, more experimenting with gear. Took it with 6 stops of ND filtration. It was pretty breezy and the river had a good bit of ripples but the angle I was shooting from really didn't do what I wanted which was smooth it out. I think this exposure was 1.3 seconds. Need to do a good bit longer exposure to get what I want. Also had the lens stopped all the way down to f22 which didn't help sharpness at all. Did use a tripod and cable release but yeah, just playing with the gear mostly. Oh, then I got home and decided the sky needed some real blue treatment so used Photoshop Elements "smart"/dummy one click fixes. Whatever. Learned a little something and plan to try something similar but with the morning sun lighting the banks of the river and the fronts of the buildings instead of late day sun.

DSC_4835_00001_01.thumb.jpg.1153825180005f3b4e757ea9a8472bc7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2