The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

Feeling nostalgic and going through some of my old pics from a different life in which I still tried to care, and rock music was still alive in central Texas. Here's AJ Vallejo at a joint called Cutter's in Killeen/Harker Heights back in 2002. These were among my first digital photos, using a Nikon D100. Earlier in the same year I was shooting film and scanning negatives. Digital has come a long way since. I was mostly using manual focus lenses with it, when I could see worth a shit. Most of the pics from those archives look pretty soft, due to both manual focus challenges and the relatively primitive digital tech of the day. But some of them sharpen up fairly decent. I really miss shooting concert stuff. I still would if there were any bands out there worth the trouble of rustling credentials, battling city traffic and fighting drunk assholes off from the front of the stage while I'm trying to shoot.

Vallejo02.jpg

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Cool shot Doug.  A few years ago I shot a small club show.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Would be nice to do that again.

Saw a Swainson's Hawk today...

spacer.png

Got a roll of Tri-X 400 back.  I think I need a new wide angle lens for my AE-1.  Some images seem out of focus in strange areas of the frame.  I also feel like many of the photos are overexposed.  I recently shot some Ektar, and loved the results.  Maybe it is just this film?  I was also not happy with the shots I did with a red filter. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

Feeling nostalgic and going through some of my old pics from a different life in which I still tried to care, and rock music was still alive in central Texas. Here's AJ Vallejo at a joint called Cutter's in Killeen/Harker Heights back in 2002. These were among my first digital photos, using a Nikon D100. Earlier in the same year I was shooting film and scanning negatives. Digital has come a long way since. I was mostly using manual focus lenses with it, when I could see worth a shit. Most of the pics from those archives look pretty soft, due to both manual focus challenges and the relatively primitive digital tech of the day. But some of them sharpen up fairly decent. I really miss shooting concert stuff. I still would if there were any bands out there worth the trouble of rustling credentials, battling city traffic and fighting drunk assholes off from the front of the stage while I'm trying to shoot.
Vallejo02.jpg

Nice. AJ (and also Omar I think) worked at my parents’ restaurant back in the day.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, LTbear said:

'Tis not, but the last grizzly I posted on this thread was her. This pic is a huge male (600+ pounds) grizzly in Glacier National Park.

Just curious.  I was able to get some photos (with iPhone) of 399 and her 4 cubs when I was in GTNP back in October.  She is quite the celebrity.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was finally able to knock a few things of my bucket list. They hopefully will not be the last examples, but I was pretty excited to get them.

Here is the first.

f166ab1102d8dc488c0f8931e095a634.jpg
ee4b14c1b1bd67a23a973eb5f8338502.jpg
c8ab8a214ede521114596415a6dad1d0.jpg
2204b1541d4863ec34d194e2daf492c8.jpg
1fa1ac69076e07932dd206ad582bf93d.jpg
ec7328c9586302778a0463df795b8b60.jpg

-Y and V5 are still juveniles. These guys are just such magnificent creatures to see soaring down on you. I think I saw 6 or 7 different birds. It was incredible.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

The other was seeing the magnificent Pinus longaeva, or Great Basin Bristlecone. The trees I saw aren’t the most photogenic ones that exist, and the lighting was harsh, but I was just happy to be in their presence.

I had seen a few juvenile examples before (like this photo):

40903951274_d4a6dfa42c_o.jpg but never any giants.

These things are so cool to see.

51217211231_f72e91b206_o.jpg

51217214021_620bdf438b_o.jpg

51216498882_7da5cf1a66_o.jpg

51216499662_1fb709ce0c_o.jpg

51217975994_1ecb85f32c_o.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Great shots LT. we also wouldn’t mind shots if your wife.

I sold my drone, several prints and some mid century modern chairs I rescued from an abandoned YMCA and now I am close to pulling the trigger on a Pentax 67. Gonna pay out the nose as I am late to the party. Looking to get the mythical 105mm lens and trying to decide between a 45mm or 55mm for landscapes.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 11:02 AM, mininghorn88 said:

Ok, you should be limited to how many images and the frequency that you can post pics on here entirely based upon where you live!!! Jealousy is an understatement.

I'm not against home field advantage, but posting one pic per post really racks up the overall rep total.

I'm in a super rut. I have hardly picked up my camera at all this month for different reasons. Doing more work on the place, no migration, slowest month of the birding year, and lack of motivation. No we actually have consistent periods of sunlight for a change instead of clouds that never seem to part for more than a few minutes a week, but it's opressively humid and hot. My mood is teh suck. I gotta get back into gear soon.

• Like 1

I'm in a super rut. I have hardly picked up my camera at all this month for different reasons. Doing more work on the place, no migration, slowest month of the birding year, and lack of motivation. No we actually have consistent periods of sunlight for a change instead of clouds that never seem to part for more than a few minutes a week, but it's opressively humid and hot. My mood is teh suck. I gotta get back into gear soon.

I feel you man. The last month or so has been really slow for me too. Just don’t feel like getting out. It’s mostly because of my job situation. I find myself just sitting at home watching Anthony bounds in hoping to get a call from any job I applied to. Now I have the money to buy a medium format to start on a project I want to do, but it’s probably not the best financial decision…but I likely will buy it anyways.
  • Hook 'Em 1

been following some nesting orchard orioles and may post some osprey shots. Still working on getting better and can't always articulate the settings--mostly auto because I'm just too damn slow trying to adjust in real time.  But they're pretty grainy otherwise.  

DSC00395.thumb.JPG.e3883f0048404eef49c64506e02f6eb1.JPGDSC00488.thumb.JPG.2614304e1d6ba2a9d7ed7b948915231f.JPG

DSC00389.JPG

DSC00461.JPG

DSC00471.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

DSC00507.thumb.JPG.81128296c986dff2eaa3f633b464949f.JPG

someone shot this turtle with an arrow--didn't seem worth the cost of the arrow. 

DSC00450.thumb.JPG.5da4e27f93292a37020dd1886b2923b5.JPG

The osprey on the ground couldn't lift out of the water with the fish so it swam it to shore.  I've never seen this.  It then had to fight off another osprey and the fish never detached from its claw.  The other in the tree (were three total) just watched.  

DSC00440.JPG

DSC00621.JPG

DSC00631.JPG

DSC00568.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I'm not against home field advantage, but posting one pic per post really racks up the overall rep total.

Ummmm, the point is over there----->                                                                                              Would love to live where he lives (previous post was for exaggerated jealousy)

3 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Ummmm, the point is over there----->                                                                                              Would love to live where he lives (previous post was for exaggerated jealousy)

I know, right!  I’m taking pictures of birds and this guy has wolves, moose and bears in his back yard. Every walk has the chance to be good to amazing.