2018 Atlanta Braves Thread

ATLLonghorn

I think we can flirt with .500 if Newcomb can throw strikes. Teharan is having a great spring and usually follows up shitty years with good ones, so he’s due. Folty and McCarthy should be serviceable with a couple young guys waiting in the wings for 5th spot, so Newcomb being a sub-3.50 ERA guy is key to us being around .500. 

The lineup should be fine...especially when Acuna comes up. Could be really good if Swanson lives up to his #1 pick status (I’ll take a .280, 15-20 homer guy). I’m expecting Albies to have a big year.  

29 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

I think we can flirt with .500 if Newcomb can throw strikes.

Newcomb's WHIP and walks per nine inning rate has gone up every step up the ladder he's gone in his career. I'm not holding my breath that suddenly he becomes someone who throws strikes consistently. 

7 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Oh yeah, we officially signed Ryan Flaherty and Peter Bourjous. Championship, mother fuckers!

Talking Chop wrote a WHOLE lot of words about these two, but the last paragraph sums it up best. 

Ryan Flaherty and Peter Bourjos aren’t going to make the team worse but this feels like adding green food coloring dye to a batch of broccoli. You’re not really adding anything that isn’t already there, but you aren’t going to make the broccoli taste worse, either.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/3/26/17165176/atlanta-braves-sign-peter-bourjos-ryan-flaherty-opening-day-2018

Nick Markakis hit 8 home runs and slugged .384. Brian Stinker hits him clean-up. He hits a walk-off home run. It's the very definition of better to be lucky than good.

Doesn't matter. 162-0 here we come!

(also, thank Gabe Kapler for pulling Nola after 68 pitches for no reason)

Breaks tend to even out over the course of the season for most teams.

Stinker got lucky with Markakis on opening day. Last night they somehow survived the 10th inning with Bourjous, Shane Carle, Flaherty and Culberson batting without making three outs to get to Inciarte who can actually hit, but he flew out weakly to center to end the game. It's crazy how stuff like that works out.

If Tucker continues to hit...what do you do in the OF when Acuna comes up?  Logical choice is to somehow move Markakis, but he’s been swinging the bat well and adds some veteran leadership.  

I see Tucker being a younger/cheaper Markakis, but with more power (.270, 25+ homers) so certainly don’t want to see him in a platoon or bench role.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Heading to a Braves game in early June, any recommendations to hit up/eat before the game?

Also, looks like plenty of hotels are within walking distance of the stadium just looking at Google maps?

I have yet to make it to the new ballpark, but there are a few restaurants in the Battery.

Pretty much everyone but Inciarte hitting and we’ll be adding Acuna to the lineup pretty soon (maybe our 2nd best hitter behind Freeman).  If we can keep our pitching respectable, .500 maybe easier than I thought because I don’t see the offense dropping off much with the addition of Acuna and Inciarte coming around. 

4 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Joey Bats signed to a minor league deal to play 3B. 

Why not??  Only cost $1M (if they call him up) and would be a nice filler until Riley is ready. Maybe we get lucky and he hits 25+ bombs for us??