2018 Atlanta Braves Thread

ATLLonghorn

Heading to a Braves game in early June, any recommendations to hit up/eat before the game? Also, looks like plenty of hotels are within walking distance of the stadium just looking at Google maps?

The El Felix in The Battery, unless you are an absolute Mexican or Tex/Mex snob. Get the steak tacos al carbon and some margaritas.

Antico is another good choice for really good super thin brick oven pizza. Arguably the best in Atlanta. Get the meatball and ricotta (they call it the lasagna pizza).

Sport & Social for the biggest tv you’ve ever seen, and Terrapin Taproom for good local brew.

Not sure about hotels but I believe you’re correct.

Leading the NL in batting average:

Swanson and Flaherty

Leading the NL in RBI: 

Preston Tucker

Would anyone have guessed any of those 3 to lead the NL in any batting catagory at any time during the season??

The young 3B prospect, Austin Riley, is off to a fast start in the minors. Might be ready next year.

Edit - actually he’s tearing up double-A so we may see him later this year unless they want to hold him out until April of next year like they did with Acuna since we probably won’t be competing for a WS this year. 

Edited by EZ$

Two of three from Philadelphia and kinda pissed away the series opener because of bad pitching.

Albies finished a hair short of being the 4th player since 1990 to have a 1.000 OPS in April in his age 21 season with Griffey, Pujols and Harper.

Acuna has reached base safely in 10 of his 22 plate appearances so far.

The Braves set a franchise record for runs in April on an RBI double by relief pitcher Jesse Biddle in his first career at bat in his hometown of Philadelphia with his family watching in the stands.

I liked the move to hit Albies and Acuna 1-2 and move Ender to 9th.

Aside from the Cubs debacle I don't think this month could've gone much better. I really enjoy what this team has done so far.

Soroka looked the part. If Gohara does the same, do we move McCarthy or Teheran?

I read where a trade for Machado could be a possibility and he’d cost us at least 2 of our top pitching prospects and Riley (who I’d give up if we could resign Machado long term). 

Let's say Machado would definitely re-sign, if they have to give up 2 of Gohara, Soroka, Wright and Anderson I'd probably lean no. If they can do it with one of them, Wentz and Riley I'm probably a yes. If they could somehow do it with Wentz, Allard and Riley I'm all in. Seems like the first four I mentioned have separated themselves from the rest of the pitching prospects. I don't know that Newcomb will ever get his walk rate down to be more than a number three guy at best and keeping three of the four of the group at the top gives you some wiggle room if one doesn't cut at the big league level. I tend to be in favor of holding on to prospects though. Pitching prospects are such a crap shoot.

Atlanta Braves

The surprise leaders in the NL East have been raking -- they easily lead the NL in runs per game -- but they have a hole at third base, where they’ve already started four different players. Jose Bautista is the new guy at the hot corner in one of the more interesting experiments in recent years. Even if he’s adequate at a position he last played semi-regularly in 2011 (when he started 25 games there), there’s no guarantee there’s anything left in the bat after an abysmal season with the Blue Jays in 2017.

The Braves also line up as the perfect trade partner because they’re loaded in the minors with pitching prospects, something the Orioles obviously need. Ownership would have to be willing to take on Machado’s contract; you never know with Liberty Media, but any team should be willing to take on $8 million or so for 80 games of a player of Machado’s caliber. If the Braves stay in this race, they could also make a move for pitching help -- bullpen depth is a need -- but runs are runs, and adding Machado behind Ozzie Albies, Ronald Acuna Jr. and Freddie Freeman would create a scary top four.

Sizing up potential trade fits for Manny Machado

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/86136/sizing-up-potential-trade-partners-for-manny-machado

Looking like I’ll be in ATL for work in late July and planning to catch a game at SunTrust Park for the first time.
Tips/suggestions appreciated.

Looking like July 26 and I see there is a postgame Avett Brothers concert but field passes for that already appear to be sold out unfortunately.

They scored five runs with two outs. Freeman saw four 2-strike pitches, Markakis saw two 2-strike pitches and Dansby saw four 2-strike pitches. Just a flat out gutsy win.

(that said they need to go to a 4.5 man rotation and skip Teheran when they're at home)