Will Ferrell + John C. Reilly = Holmes and Watson (Dec, 2018)

atomheartbevo

The film stars Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Lauren Lapkus, Rob Brydon, Kelly Macdonald, Rebecca Hall, Ralph Fiennes, and Hugh Laurie. Guy who is writing and directing it directed Get Hard and wrote Tropic Thunder.

Lot of potential in the cast and premise.  Just hope Ferrell and Reilly aren’t past their prime.  I’m not expecting approaching Step-Brothers.

Holmes-And-Watson.jpg

C1V0dbWUQAA6m5U.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

4 months out and no trailer.?

First official image came out a few days ago (leaked images before now), so I’m guessing soon.  There was a brief teaser shown back in April at a cinema industry event.

Brief synopsis from Deadline if anybody is curious  

Spoiler

If Warners couldn’t pull off a Sherlock Holmes three-quel, it looks like Sony is going to pull off a hysterical Sherlock Holmes and Watson period parody. We see these crackpots go wild in jolly old England, cracking a case of killer bees and battling them in a room. It provided one of the standout moments in a Sony sizzle reel 

2 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Looking forward to see how Hugh Laurie compliments this cast. He started out in comedy and not really seen that way here in the states. So in. 

He'll always be Bertie Wooster, or the Prince of Wales in the Black Adder series to me.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 7:35 AM, SmokeyTheBear said:

Looking forward to see how Hugh Laurie compliments this cast. He started out in comedy and not really seen that way here in the states. So in. 

I know it was a medical drama, but Laurie was pretty funny as House, even if it wasn't his homecooked style of comedy.

34 minutes ago, Tom said:

I know it was a medical drama, but Laurie was pretty funny as House, even if it wasn't his homecooked style of comedy.

Oh for sure. Ironic, crass, cut you without you knowing comedy and I loved it. That's why I can't wait to see more and played against comedic actors, and even more by Ferrell and JCR. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, bluto said:

agree with bschool, hardly a laugh at the trailer as the comedy genre continues its prolonged march through the desert. 

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I gave up at 1:25.  Looks terrible imo.  

Yep. Looks like it was written by the same people who did "Ass".

32 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

Shit.  I was all in and laughed at the pics in the first post.  Trailer was exactly what I did not want.  Those guys are genius when subtle but terrible with slap stick.  Actually all slap stick is pretty terrible.

When has Will Ferrell ever been subtle?

26 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

When has Will Ferrell ever been subtle?

lol  good point.  i suppose subtle is a poor word choice but the scenes from say talledega when they are praying are 100x more funny to me than when he is running around the track thinking he is on fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

I think will Ferrell's slapstick is one of the most annoying things i can think of. I'm in for jcr though.

I'm on this boat. The movies where he's the sole comedic star do nothing for me (Elf and Blades of Glory come to mind), but he knows how to put together an ensemble and surround himself with funny people. I wouldn't say that his movies succeed in spite of him--he definitely has his moments in small doses--but I will say that I typically find more laughs from his costars.