Will Ferrell + John C. Reilly = Holmes and Watson (Dec, 2018)

atomheartbevo

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Shoulda waited for cable.

Anyone that has high expectations for a Will Ferrell movie should always expect disappointment. The guy is extremely hit or miss. Same with John C. Reilly.  That's because both these guys are very experimental and aren't afraid of trying anything. But when it works, it really works. 

Anyone that has high expectations for a Will Ferrell movie should always expect disappointment. The guy is extremely hit or miss. Same with John C. Reilly.  That's because both these guys are very experimental and aren't afraid of trying anything. But when it works, it really works. 

I heard a little clip recently with WF talking about how Elf could have been a complete miss, but he just embraced the character and went for it and they found magic. He’s definitely willing to take chances.

5 hours ago, Kyle said:

I've come to terms that I'm the only middle aged white guy that does not really get Will Ferrell. The wife loves him. But her favorite movies are the Replacements, Remember the Titans, Legally Blonde, Miss Congeniality, and Grease.

I’m really at a complete loss as to what your race has to do with anything. 

21 hours ago, Kyle said:

I've come to terms that I'm the only middle aged white guy that does not really get Will Ferrell. The wife loves him. But her favorite movies are the Replacements, Remember the Titans, Legally Blonde, Miss Congeniality, and Grease.

I go beyond not getting Ferrell to actively avoiding his movies. The couple I've watched portions of seem like one of those one gag Saturday Night Live skits where they take a one off gag and make it into a fifteen minute skit, except the movies last over an hour. 

For me, even in an absurdist movie, I have to believe the character. I believed Gene Wilder in Willie Wonka and Young Frankenstein. I believed Christopher Lloyd in Back to the Future. I believed John Belushi in Animal House. I believed Jeff Bridges as the dude. Ferrell's never come across to me as anything other than a guy half assing lines for a Saturday Night Live skit. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

I go beyond not getting Ferrell to actively avoiding his movies. The couple I've watched portions of seem like one of those one gag Saturday Night Live skits where they take a one off gag and make it into a fifteen minute skit, except the movies last over an hour. 

For me, even in an absurdist movie, I have to believe the character. I believed Gene Wilder in Willie Wonka and Young Frankenstein. I believed Christopher Lloyd in Back to the Future. I believed John Belushi in Animal House. I believed Jeff Bridges as the dude. Ferrell's never come across to me as anything other than a guy half assing lines for a Saturday Night Live skit. 

I think maybe you hit on the same thing I feel. Ferrell always comes across to me as a guy acting like a moron for cheap laughs, but his movies too seem to be way more obvious vs. the subtlety in some of the others you mentioned.

On 12/31/2018 at 8:33 AM, Richard Kimball said:

I believed Ron Burgundy. I thought that was an outstanding character.

I've always found him funny and all but his last movie, i think it was The House, was just god awful. It was just so fucking lazily done. This looks the same.

6 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I believed Ron Burgundy. I thought that was an outstanding character.

I've always found him funny and all but his last movie, i think it was The House, was just god awful. It was just so fucking lazily done. This looks the same.

I thought The House had some funny moments. It wasn't great by any stretch ...

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Good WF movies:

Anchorman

Step Brothers 

Elf

Old School

The Other Guys

OK:

Talladega Nights

Bad:

Anchorman 2 

Holmes and Watson

Daddys Home 

Daddys Home 2

(I haven't seen all the ones listed as bad but it was obvious,  as well as some that are left off)

anchorman 2 is hilarious. 

40 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Conceptually Anchorman 2 was good. but just so much more filler. Also, most of the characters were caricatures of the original caricatures.

True. 

There is a director’s cut of Anchorman 2 that was on Netflix a couple of years back which was much better than the theatrical version. 

15 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

This movie is bad.  Really, really bad.  Imagine a parody written by Michael Scott. And then imagine he only used his B and C-level material and jammed in a bunch of obvious political jabs and stale cultural references.  It’s fucking awful.  

evidently there were a TON of re-writes and re-shoots for it. makes sense with the final result

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Im in the minority, but Elf is fucking awful. Cant stand that movie

Every white chick i know loves that movie tho

I think with the caveat that it's a Christmas movie and it's something to throw in the rotation to give you some time before you have to start again with Rudolph Elf is great.  As a stand alone movie, I am with you that you aren't missing anything.

This movie is bad.  Really, really bad.  Imagine a parody written by Michael Scott. And then imagine he only used his B and C-level material and jammed in a bunch of obvious political jabs and stale cultural references.  It’s fucking awful.  

IMDb agrees and that’s even with the token paid 10/10 ratings up front.

874ffa771bb877d0a11102fd9d8eb865.jpg

This is pretty clearly an example of a movie that was sold and green-lit on its premise alone, with no one so much as bothering to read the script, if there even was one.

"The Step Brothers in Victorian England riffing and ad-libbing, playing the famously intelligent Sherlock and Holmes as stupid, oblivious, and crass...say no more, who do I make the check out to?!?" 

Edited by aggie08

5 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

ok then tell me how awesome the house was please...or should i spend those 2 hours on something else?

No just don't put movies into a good or bad category if you haven't even seen them. Easy enough. 

Most recent Will Ferrell movies have been like fine wine. You consume it then immediately regret the money you spent. 

On 12/30/2018 at 9:16 AM, Underdog said:

As if Step Brothers, Talladega Nights wasn’t  enough of a precursor to how much this was going to suck. 

I'm not sure if I am reading this right.  Are you suggesting those were bad movies?  Step Brothers is the greatest comedy of this century.

On 1/1/2019 at 2:13 PM, BrickHorn said:

401303d73cdc3d216bc8d1560c29822c.jpg

Edited by Sbbruin

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m thinking, but not coming up with a will Ferrell led movie that I enjoyed. 

Hes good in smaller roles or ensemble casts. SNL had the right amount of WF. Old school had the right amount. Wedding crashes not quite enough. 

I guess anchorman is more of a lead than ensemble and I liked that. 

So you didn't like Step-brothers or Talladega Nights? I'm sorry that you're so humorless. Must suck ass. 

Edited by lateshow

On 1/1/2019 at 4:42 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

Good WF movies:

Anchorman

Step Brothers 

Elf

Old School

The Other Guys

OK:

Talladega Nights

Bad:

Anchorman 2 

Holmes and Watson

Daddys Home 

Daddys Home 2

(I haven't seen all the ones listed as bad but it was obvious,  as well as some that are left off)

Other than Daddy's Home 1 and 2, I agree.  Those were far from his best works, but enjoyable enough as far as family movies go.

On 1/1/2019 at 6:56 PM, futureman said:

anchorman 2 is hilarious. 

Anchorman 2 felt like they came up with 1 or 2 half ass plots without a script and then just threw a bunch of ad-libbed shit against the wall.  As far as sequels go, it was Hangover 3 level bad.

On 1/1/2019 at 11:21 PM, longhornmatt said:

Anchorman 2 is awful, and I loved the original.  That said, I would put Daddy’s Home as ok.

This is the right answer.

Edited by Tom
  • Fuck You 1