" the FAU strength program is substantially more rigorous than Texas"

JFKFC

http://fauowlaccess.com/floridaatlantic/burnt-out-orange/10383/2018/08/13/

BOCA RATON – Having once played at a prestigious Power Five program, former Texas Longhorns DeAndre McNeal and Marcel Southall thought they knew the hardest a conditioning program can be.

They were in for a surprise.

“I was shocked. It’s a whole different level than Texas,” Southall said of strength and conditioning coach Wilson Love’s “fourth quarter” workouts. “It got me back in shape, pushing me to a different level that I haven’t been pushed before.”

The 6-foot-3 Southall shed 20 pounds since stepping foot on campus this summer, reaching his ideal playing weight of 270 pounds.

He credits that physical transformation to the “fourth quarter” workout program.

“It was just a different beast that I haven’t seen before,” said Southall, redshirt-sophomore defensive tackle. “It got my body right, I haven’t felt this good since high school.”

The year before Southall’s arrival, another former Longhorn and JUCO transfer completed the journey from Austin, Texas, to Boca Raton. He has an idea why the two conditioning programs are different: the mindset behind them.

McNeal says FAU’s coaches constantly harp on the importance of being accountable: if any offensive player messes up, the entire unit is punished. It’s a vastly different philosophy than at Texas where he said the mindset was “a little bit more relaxed” around organized workouts.

McNeal recalls his new teammates trying to warn him about the difficulty of Love’s workouts. He shrugged them off, not expecting too much of a challenge considering he’d already experienced a Power Five training regimen.

He was quickly proven wrong, determining that the FAU strength program is substantially more rigorous than Texas’.

“Oh yes, by far,” McNeal said. “The fourth quarter program is no joke, I can definitely say that.”

McNeal, who prior to coming to FAU never ran a 100-yard sprint test before, said he’d “never seen a football field get turned into a track field,” until beginning Love’s workouts.

It’s a football axiom that hard work in the summer creates winners in the fall.

McNeal watched FAU’s conditioning program do exactly that last season, watching the Owls “accelerate even more”, as his team stays fresh late in the season while their opponents are breaking down.

The 2017 Owls were a prime example of that late acceleration. After starting 1-3, they finished the season on a 10 game win streak, including a victory in the conference championship and Boca Raton Bowl.

Taking notice of FAU’s strong finish, other programs tried to lure Love, who came with Kiffin from Alabama, away from Boca Raton. Coach Lane Kiffin wasn’t about to let his first hire as FAU coach walk away.

“As you continue to just look at your program you realize that that really is probably the most important coach that you have, maybe comparable to the coordinator on the opposite side of the ball as you as head coach,” Kiffin said.

Kiffin increased Love’s salary and added “associate head coach” to Love’s title, a rarity in college football.

“I also think it’s part of appreciation for that role – not just here but anywhere,” Kiffin said.

52 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Never heard of either one of these guys...so there is that.

I'm not even sure McNeal made it in? Even if he did it was the previous regime and he couldn't have been here for more than a semester. 

52 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

were they comparing Love to Yancy or to his predecessor?

Southall was a part of that amazing (lol) DL class in '16. I'm pretty sure he transferred last summer before fall camp started. I'm not sure McNeal ever enrolled so no idea how he'd know what the S&C program is like. 

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'm not even sure McNeal made it in? Even if he did it was the previous regime and he couldn't have been here for more than a semester. 

Southall was a part of that amazing (lol) DL class in '16. I'm pretty sure he transferred last summer before fall camp started. I'm not sure McNeal ever enrolled so no idea how he'd know what the S&C program is like. 

McNeal played quite a bit as a freshman, but made no meaningful contributions. He was actually here a whole year, suspended right before fall camp of his sophomore season and decided to transfer.

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

McNeal played quite a bit as a freshman, but made no meaningful contributions. He was actually here a whole year, suspended right before fall camp of his sophomore season and decided to transfer.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Southall announced his intention to transfer in May 2017. He didn't even go through a summer with Yancy.

Well that's what I get trying to remember meaningless people while trying to wake up and surl.

50 minutes ago, Nuge said:

So much for "The Pit".

Yeah we were definitely sold that Moorer was a step up from Wiley (and from Maddog) and bought it hard.  Same, more broadly with Strong vs. Brown.  How far we have fallen.  Or how gullible we are.

I assume there is at least a grain of truth to Moorer being an upgrade over prior S&C, etc.

Edited by TwiceHorn

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah we were definitely sold that Moorer was a step up from Wiley (and from Maddog) and bought it hard.  Same, more broadly with Strong vs. Brown.  How far we have fallen.  Or how gullible we are.

He probably was. Problem is that when you're starting at rock bottom, barely mediocre is still a step up.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I assume there is at least a grain of truth to Moorer being an upgrade over prior S&C, etc.

Without a doubt.

McKnight is a big upgrade from Moorer, but Moorer wasn't really a problem here.

57 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I believe Wiley is head of S/C at OU now. 

This is your basic fluff/hit piece by a small school for a small school. It isn’t read by anyone outside of Boca Raton. 

Except now it’s posted here for a much larger audience, so there’s that...

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I believe Wiley is head of S/C at OU now. 

This is your basic fluff/hit piece by a small school for a small school. It isn’t read by anyone outside of Boca Raton. 

Sure enough.  What happened to Mr. Eat-your-puke?  I think I saw a reference to him being somewhere else. Edit:  haha aggy.  WTF.

Edited by TwiceHorn

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sure enough.  What happened to Mr. Eat-your-puke?  I think I saw a reference to him being somewhere else.

He is whooping it up in Collie Station.

Schmidt already nearly killed Koda Martin in spring ball, and aggy is sure he'll help Jimbo lead them to a national championship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JFKFC said:

http://fauowlaccess.com/floridaatlantic/burnt-out-orange/10383/2018/08/13/

BOCA RATON – Having once played at a prestigious Power Five program, former Texas Longhorns DeAndre McNeal and Marcel Southall thought they knew the hardest a conditioning program can be.

They were in for a surprise.

“I was shocked. It’s a whole different level than Texas,” Southall said of strength and conditioning coach Wilson Love’s “fourth quarter” workouts. “It got me back in shape, pushing me to a different level that I haven’t been pushed before.”

The 6-foot-3 Southall shed 20 pounds since stepping foot on campus this summer, reaching his ideal playing weight of 270 pounds.

He credits that physical transformation to the “fourth quarter” workout program.

“It was just a different beast that I haven’t seen before,” said Southall, redshirt-sophomore defensive tackle. “It got my body right, I haven’t felt this good since high school.”

The year before Southall’s arrival, another former Longhorn and JUCO transfer completed the journey from Austin, Texas, to Boca Raton. He has an idea why the two conditioning programs are different: the mindset behind them.

McNeal says FAU’s coaches constantly harp on the importance of being accountable: if any offensive player messes up, the entire unit is punished. It’s a vastly different philosophy than at Texas where he said the mindset was “a little bit more relaxed” around organized workouts.

McNeal recalls his new teammates trying to warn him about the difficulty of Love’s workouts. He shrugged them off, not expecting too much of a challenge considering he’d already experienced a Power Five training regimen.

He was quickly proven wrong, determining that the FAU strength program is substantially more rigorous than Texas’.

“Oh yes, by far,” McNeal said. “The fourth quarter program is no joke, I can definitely say that.”

McNeal, who prior to coming to FAU never ran a 100-yard sprint test before, said he’d “never seen a football field get turned into a track field,” until beginning Love’s workouts.

It’s a football axiom that hard work in the summer creates winners in the fall.

McNeal watched FAU’s conditioning program do exactly that last season, watching the Owls “accelerate even more”, as his team stays fresh late in the season while their opponents are breaking down.

The 2017 Owls were a prime example of that late acceleration. After starting 1-3, they finished the season on a 10 game win streak, including a victory in the conference championship and Boca Raton Bowl.

Taking notice of FAU’s strong finish, other programs tried to lure Love, who came with Kiffin from Alabama, away from Boca Raton. Coach Lane Kiffin wasn’t about to let his first hire as FAU coach walk away.

“As you continue to just look at your program you realize that that really is probably the most important coach that you have, maybe comparable to the coordinator on the opposite side of the ball as you as head coach,” Kiffin said.

Kiffin increased Love’s salary and added “associate head coach” to Love’s title, a rarity in college football.

“I also think it’s part of appreciation for that role – not just here but anywhere,” Kiffin said.

FAU must be intending to switch mascots with the USF Bulls, as this story is the dung created by the Bull, & the editor...

2 hours ago, Nope said:

Except now it’s posted here for a much larger audience, so there’s that...

1 hour ago, futureman said:

well, we’re doing our best to get it seen by as many eyes as possible.  

Ok, Boca Raton and one surly football board where it will be relegated to the second page by tomorrow. 

7 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Why would you bother posting that here and giving it more attention than it merits? Deandre McNeal is a doofus and a loser. 

I genuinely don't know enough to speak intelligently about our S&C program. I was interested in feedback from people who do know more than me. 

• Like 1