Killer pig

BabaYaga

13 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Not sure what the guy with a shovel could have done differently. I've been bull rushed by a boar in a cage. Tremendous amount of energy.

Roger that.  Been charged as well.  Turn the blade of the shovel and swing for the eyes and snout.  Like you're trying to chop it off.  Gets their attention real F'ing quick.  Not swatting like you are trying to kill flies on it's back.  Or better yet, grab both hind legs and pull them out from under it.  Did that once hunting with dogs & knives.  

F'ing pigs.  And what stinks, is shooting them like we all do just increases their numbers.  All we're doing is removing barriers to entry for the little ones.  Helicopter hunts, help a little (and cost prohibitive).  Trapping works if it's continuous (hell of a lot of hard work).  I'm not going to stop shooting them....but it's throwing pebbles at the ocean.  

34 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Roger that.  Been charged as well.  Turn the blade of the shovel and swing for the eyes and snout.  Like you're trying to chop it off.  Gets their attention real F'ing quick.  Not swatting like you are trying to kill flies on it's back.  Or better yet, grab both hind legs and pull them out from under it.  Did that once hunting with dogs & knives.  

F'ing pigs.  And what stinks, is shooting them like we all do just increases their numbers.  All we're doing is removing barriers to entry for the little ones.  Helicopter hunts, help a little (and cost prohibitive).  Trapping works if it's continuous (hell of a lot of hard work).  I'm not going to stop shooting them....but it's throwing pebbles at the ocean.  

I was "charged" once, but in reality I think I was just in the way. 

Crept a feeder and started shooting them....one somehow spun out of the mass and ending up running at me.  He was hauling ass and I side stepped and shot him with a rifle from my hip as he went by. 

He was close enough that I could smell hair burning from the muzzle blast hitting him.

It was an hour before I could drink a cup of coffee without shaking so bad I spilled it.  Was I charged, probably not....but if he had hit me and flipped his head up into my leg he certainly could have sliced me open.     

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I was "charged" once, but in reality I think I was just in the way. 

Crept a feeder and started shooting them....one somehow spun out of the mass and ending up running at me.  He was hauling ass and I side stepped and shot him with a rifle from my hip as he went by. 

He was close enough that I could smell hair burning from the muzzle blast hitting him.

It was an hour before I could drink a cup of coffee without shaking so bad I spilled it.  Was I charged, probably not....but if he had hit me and flipped his head up into my leg he certainly could have sliced me open.     

You just described perfectly what so many of my range instructors have preached for YEARS on stress inoculation and operating your weapon under duress and with a spiked heart rate.  After that Adrenalin dump, your fine motor skills disappear.  GONE.  Being charged by a pig set me on the path towards figuring this stuff out as well.  Just hours and hours of dry-fire drills and range time.  That *&^%# shot timer that seems simple, but completely messes you up each and every time.  Aggressive forward lean, arms locked, high/neutral thumb, etc.  And that's all mag #1.  The reload is where things really start to pick up speed.  This is also why I tell all my friends with home defense questions to start with a platform that has a longer sight radius.