Surly Parents: After 172 Episodes, Dora the Explorer goes live-action/big-screen

atomheartbevo

Should just start a "movies Surly parents are going to get dragged to" thread.  Even though it doesn't come out for a year, it's clear this thing will make a lot of money.  Be interesting to see if they are targeting new viewers to Dora (my 5 year old loves it) or the teenagers who grew up with it.

"Dora the Explorer stars Isabela Moner (Transformers: The Last Knight, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Instant Family) in the film’s title role. Having spent most of her life exploring the jungle with her parents nothing could prepare Dora for the most dangerous adventure ever – High School. Always the explorer, Dora quickly finds herself leading Boots (her best friend, a monkey), Diego, and a rag tag group of teens on a live-action adventure to save her parents and solve the impossible mystery behind a lost Inca civilization."

First production picture.  

vd3frt3gximwasbk376i.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Hard pass if Big Red Chicken is not in this.

They have the monkey and her cousin Diego.  At the very least, they'll make a nod to it (would be funny if they ate chicken in a scene).   They do mention "key casting announcements are forthcoming" so I'm guessing they are adding more, but the CGI characters probably won't be mentioned.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/965135-first-dora-the-explorer-movie-photo-as-production-begins

Seventeen-year-old actress Moner is joined in the film by one of Mexico’s biggest stars, Eugenio Derbez (Overboard, Instructions Not Included, How to Be A Latin Lover), who plays Alejandro, a mysterious jungle inhabitant who tries to protect the teenagers from the marauders. The film also features big screen newcomer Micke Moreno (Escobar: Paradise Lost), in the role of cousin Diego; Nicholas Coombe (Spy Kids: Mission Control, Midnight Sun) as Randy, a fellow high schooler who develops an immediate crush on Dora; Madeleine Madden (Picnic at Hanging Rock, Tidelands) as the school’s snooty class president, Sammy; and Academy Award nominee Adriana Barraza (Babel, Amores Perros, Thor, The 33) as Dora’s grandma, Abuelita Valerie. Temuera Morrison (Green Lantern, Moana) will play the role of Powell. Additional key casting announcements are forthcoming.

I always felt sorry for cartoon Dora and her massive head when they drew Diego and the other kids on the show relatively normal.  Live action Dora's got some physical qualities that seem to set her apart too but I can't quite put my finger on them, at least without an indictment 

22 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

I always felt sorry for cartoon Dora and her massive head when they drew Diego and the other kids on the show relatively normal.  Live action Dora's got some physical qualities that seem to set her apart too but I can't quite put my finger on them, at least without an indictment 

It reminds me of the new Netflix reboot of the Sabrina the Teenage Witch series (remember the original with Melissa Joan Hart?).

When you see that photo of the new Sabrina wearing a negligee while being prepared to marry Satan...just something about it feels off.

All these kids shows are no longer kids shows or something.

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Be interesting to see if they are targeting new viewers to Dora (my 5 year old loves it) or the teenagers who grew up with it.

Based on that production photo, it's pretty obvious they're going after the teens. 

Edited by Rimbo

On 8/14/2018 at 9:38 PM, futureman said:

she was smoke in sicario 2.  underage, probably.  but now we’re good. 

uh... no sir:

On 8/14/2018 at 2:37 PM, hayden_horn said:

so i was, uh, curious, and turns out that girl is 17 years old. so i, uh, have no other commentary at this time.

Chris-Hansen-Take-A-Seat-Meme.jpg

you don't cast a 17-year-old as Dora if you're aiming for the TV show's current market. Because Dora, in the show, is, like, 7 or something.

The plot has her in high school. Probably the same time her original fans are there.

Obviously copying the success Disney had with high school themes, it's working title is "HSM".

*High School Mariachi.

On 8/16/2018 at 12:45 PM, Rimbo said:

depends on your state

Anyway, point being, you don't cast a 17-year-old as Dora if you're aiming for the TV show's current market. Because Dora, in the show, is, like, 7 or something.

Actually, and it sucks that I know this(father of 3 under 10), the latest Dora is a early/pre-teen Dora.

2 hours ago, woohorn said:

The plot has her in high school. Probably the same time her original fans are there.

Obviously copying the success Disney had with high school themes, it's working title is "HSM".

*High School Mariachi.

And they probably don’t want 7 year-old girls strapping on a backpack and sneaking out a door and heading for the nearest green belt for adventures. I could see that happening. 

I would watch the hell out of this if they had her in some kind of plot inspired by the Uncharted games where she’s killing baddies in the jungle while looking for El Dorado.  Would be hilarious. 

• 7 months later...

Any chance, she ends up venturing to North Korea where she accidentally eats the whole Paw Patrol gang before being shot off on a rocket to her certain demise.  So that I don't have to hear about this shit after I come home from work?  

See Peppa Pig, that's a show about female empowerment with good lessons and decent music. 

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

no swiper ????

Voiced by Benicio Del Toro, so they are saving the reveal for later on.  

Holy shit.  Danny Trejo is the fucking monkey.  

I have to see this based on that casting.  That and Eva.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

Any chance, she ends up venturing to North Korea where she accidentally eats the whole Paw Patrol gang before being shot off on a rocket to her certain demise.  So that I don't have to hear about this shit after I come home from work?  

See Peppa Pig, that's a show about female empowerment with good lessons and decent music. 

No hate for Daniel Tiger?

On 3/24/2019 at 12:46 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Wish there was a lot more Eva Longoria.  

Matter of fact, just have Eva play a 40-something Dora and I’m in.   

This looks so fucking bad. And either Eva was told to round it out a little bit or she has let herself go. 

I want to see this version, disappointed it hasn't been posted yet:

Edited by ztejas

• 4 months later...

Here's a review from the Hollywood Reporter...

Dora seems committed to projecting a pre-sexualized version of youth, while throbbing unacknowledged beneath the surface is something a bit more real, its presence rigorously ignored. 

The film reviewer, btw, is 69 years old but something was throbbing in his loins.