Restaurants from your childhood that don’t exist anymore

Longboard Horn

33 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I think there is a don Pablo's in Grand prairie still. Steak and Ale was a good one, I miss checkers. I know they still around but not in Dallas. That was my after school spot

I saw a commercial for Checkers the other day and my first thought, “Those are still around? Haven’t seen any in Dallas.”

Edited by Longboard Horn

54 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Used to love Shaky's.  They had these great breaded fried potatoes and chicken with your pizza.  Brilliant.

Come out to the coast, we’ll get together, have a few laughs while we eat pizza and fried chicken at Shakey’s.

Theres 2 that I know of... in fact I just had it 2-3 months ago.

20 minutes ago, G650 said:

Still have a few here in VB.

Yeah I thought they still had some locations, the ones up here in the Richmond area are Shoneys in name only it seems, not in the old school atmosphere.  And ya gotta have that huge ass Big Boy out front.

Shoneys Hot fudge cake....... mmmmmmmmmmmm

38 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah I thought they still had some locations, the ones up here in the Richmond area are Shoneys in name only it seems, not in the old school atmosphere.  And ya gotta have that huge ass Big Boy out front.

Shoneys Hot fudge cake....... mmmmmmmmmmmm

I remember New Year's 2000 (well, vaguely remember) rolling into Shoney's for the breakfast buffett the following morning and eating 6 full plates a food. No idea where I fit it all.

That location however has sadly been one of the ones that has closed. It is a pretty good local restaurant now though.

54 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Are there any Jim's left in SA?

Absolutely there is.

In Houston's 2nd Ward/East-end area I remember eating Rally's every once in a while, and I must have been like 6-7 years old, but I remember a drive-in that might have been Rally's or might have been something else, but we would go there often and get onion rings and those are cool memories. Probably somewhere off Navigation kinda near the ship channel, as we lived off Navigation/Canal.

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Yeah but they were racists fucks.

I still remember the "Whites Only" sign on their front door in the 60's.

I'm not quite that old, so I dont remember anything like that. I remember it from the late 80's/early 90's. I then remember them selling it to to someone else, and the quality just wasnt the same after that. Makes me wonder how many times it changed owners, though

Sambo’s, Burger Chef, Farell’s ice Cream Parlour

I was a night waiter at Sambos, and it’s successor, Seasons. You probably saw me and our stoned chef at 3 in the morning on your way back from a strip club. You also saw the strippers there.

One night we were cleaning out the storage room and found the old Sambo’s mascot costume. One of our chefs went dancing around the restaurant in it during one of those 3 am late customer rushes. Fortunately, the mascot was a tiger.

1 hour ago, DanRydell said:

Holiday House

Time Out for Burgers

Mr. C's

Willie's

Five Star Smokehouse

C-5 Steakhouse

I see Dan Rydell grew up in Westlake too. Loved Holiday House and the alligator/crocodile they used to have there. I remember when Mr. C’s went out of business and everything was priced from the year they opened (1969 i think)- was getting burgers for $1, shakes for $.25. 

miss the buffalo chicken sandwich from Bennigens.