Restaurants from your childhood that don’t exist anymore

Longboard Horn

Y'all are mostly talking about chains. The gone restaurants of my childhood were mostly one-offs, one family running them, parents, then kids, then the grandkids ditched that life. Unless you passed through my town, you never would have heard of them.

The main chain I miss is Judy's. Wendy's clone based out of Nashville, it might have been run by the Wendy's dude's brother. Anything I could have gotten in a Judy's, I could go down the street and get from Wendy's now.

But it wouldn't be Judy's.

Edited by RDCanecutter

Oh man purdy's. Only one I knew of was at plano Rd and Campbell in Richardson. Were there more? It wasn't bad food, wasn't good food, but a good place to kill time. I always liked fudd's more.

No love for Purdy’s? It was Fuddruckers before it was cool.
is Mr. Jim’s pizza still around? Best Chinese food carton of Pepsi money could buy.

The Drumstick

in Denver metro.  Cheesy family dining with a badass train that went around the dining room's perimeter at ceiling level. 

Edited by slorch

The only thing i remember from that place was the banana pudding.  I'll see your Bonanza and raise you Sirloin Stockade for shitty steakhouse family night.  

Had sirloin stockade about 7 years ago in some shitty town in South Mississippi. Terrible

20 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Had sirloin stockade about 7 years ago in some shitty town in South Mississippi. Terrible

K Bobs were decent.  I once ate at the one in Ft. Stockton Texas.  Apparently Selena(s) had eaten there the day before and signed the wall by the register.  It was a big fkn deal for that town.  

8 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

I don't think The Feed Bag exists anymore.  There was one in Plano and one in Uptown (Dallas) for the longest time.  Big ass steak cut fries that were the bomb.  Decent burger, too.

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

the feed bag was awesome.  had lunch at the one in plano a bunch in HS.

tumblr_ofl7mz215M1r2amcuo1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slorch said:

The Drumstick

in Denver metro.  Cheesy family dining with a badass train that went around the dining room's perimeter at ceiling level. 

94th Aero Squadron

On the main runway of Stapleton.  

http://barthworks.com/aviation/aviation_historic_artifacts/1980_1982_94th_aerosqadron_restaurant/1980_1982_94th_aerosqadron_restaurant.htm

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

There are 14 total -- one in Borger, one in Monahans...and the rest are mostly in the upper midwest (IL and IA), with a few on the east coast.  How far the mighty, Monte Cristo-cooking have fallen.

Ah, the Monte Cristo!  Sandwich of choice for Americans who love imminent hot diarrhea.  

9 hours ago, RPM said:

BWW.png

Did you see Beef on Weck on the menu? You ate at Buffalo Wild Wings, the hollow corporate shell of the restaurant started in 1982 as Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck. You ate at BDubs, not bw-3. I'm referring to the latter. Trust me, there's a huge difference. 

14 hours ago, ftf82 said:

K-Bobs in Clovis is outstanding, Salad Wagon and all. I will fight you if you disagree. Even has a bar to catch part of the game if driving through on a fall Monday evening.

There was a K-Bob's on 290 in Oak Hill back in the day. The Salad Wagon was legit.

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck hasn't been around in a good 20 years or more. And they never had a store in Texas. You never ate there. 

29 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Did you see Beef on Weck on the menu? You ate at Buffalo Wild Wings, the hollow corporate shell of the restaurant started in 1982 as Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck. You ate at BDubs, not bw-3. I'm referring to the latter. Trust me, there's a huge difference. 

When they opened on 6th street in Austin, they were Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck -- I distinctly remember reading the description of their name and "weck" on the menu.  Now, that was 20 years ago or so, and they became BW-3 shortly thereafter, but when they opened, weck was a thing.

Hamburgers by Gourmet, Westheimer, just inside the loop in Houston.  Best burger ever (up there with Mad Dog & Beans for me).  I read on TOS that there was another location or two, but that one is burned into my taste bud memory.

Edited by dcbc

I can go Houston old-school here.

Yamin's pizza on Gessner just north of the SW fwy -- owned by a family of one of my long-time school-mates.  Pretty good damned pizza, first place that I put away a whole (small) pizza by myself, as a growing boy.

Ludy's pizza -- damned sure nobody knows about this one.  It was at the entrance of my neighborhood -- Braeburn Valley West -- when we moved in, circa 1974.  It was great, in a strip center next to Sunny's food mart, and was the first restaurant that I remember being upset about it closing.

Danver's hamburgers on Gessner just before the SW fwy -- think Fuddruckers before Fuddruckers.  Good, thick burgers, and a huge fixings bar so you could make it the way you liked it.  My dad LOVED that place, as did my wife's dad -- we didn't know each other back then, but we can guarantee that we were there on the same Saturday night at least once, probably much more than once.

Mr. Steak -- a cheap steak joint.  Really cheap.  But when I was little, my family was pretty po, and my dad liked steak.  So, we went there a good bit.  I think it was on Fondren, between Westpark and Westheimer.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When they opened on 6th street in Austin, they were Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck -- I distinctly remember reading the description of their name and "weck" on the menu.  Now, that was 20 years ago or so, and they became BW-3 shortly thereafter, but when they opened, weck was a thing.

Lawyers, man. I don't know about a bw-3 in Austin or when it was opened. Let's assume your memory is accurate. That would've been a corporate franchise with sauce made elsewhere, not in house. I don't know what their Buffalo chips were like. (They totally suck now.) Did you have their Weck rolls? What were they like?

You mean they adopted the standardized corporate name of Buffalo Wild Wings shortly thereafter. Weck is the third W in bw-3. There wasn't a quick, clean separation in the transformation from one to the other. And RPM wasn't talking about some old Austin franchise that you could raise as a technicality to refute my assertion that bw-3 wasn't in Texas. (Jesus, I used to think I was anal retentive.)

When I first ate there they had one store. They opened a second store on south campus that was 2-3 blocks from my first apartment. We used to get 10¢ wings on Tuesdays, take them home, and watch Moonlighting. My first apartment after school was not far from their third store (the oldest remaining -- the first two are gone). The changes started happening in the mid-90's. They were more noticeable in the new stores than in the older ones. As in any corporate enterprise dealing in volume, the small sacrifices of quality in favor of cost-cutting accumulate over time. 

Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck was at its best when they were all locally owned and locally operated. Those days are long gone. That's the restaurant that doesn't exist anymore I was talking about. Jesus. 

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I ate there a year ago for breakfast, and it was glorious.

We sat outside on a BEAUTIFUL Santa Barbara morning.  (Show me a prettier place and I'll kiss your ass).  Anyway, we were really enjoying the food and the view, until some dipshit on a Harley with straight pipes had to pass by revving his engine as loud as possible to compensate for his tiny cock.  

44 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

We sat outside on a BEAUTIFUL Santa Barbara morning.  (Show me a prettier place and I'll kiss your ass).  Anyway, we were really enjoying the food and the view, until some dipshit on a Harley with straight pipes had to pass by revving his engine as loud as possible to compensate for his tiny cock.  

There's no other kind of morning in SB

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Hamburgers by Gourmet, Westheimer, just inside the loop in Houston.  Best burger ever (up there with Mad Dog & Beans for me).  I read on TOS that there was another location or two, but that one is burned into my taste bud memory.

another place that i don't remember if it was actually good or not, luke's hamburgers, which is now the sex toy shop next to the galleria.  lots of good memories of hitting it up on the way back from the astros or astroworld. 

14 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

there's still one in columbus, ohio, just on the east side of the airport (where you can see a sud aviation caravelle used for fire training). 

Edited by elfenix

24 minutes ago, Big D said:

Anyone from Denver remember The Hungry Farmer? Cool place.  Of course we always went to Casa Bonita, which I think is still around thanks to South Park.

97_DA32_C0-_C328-4559-80_F7-41_A3576645_

Used to be Don's Hungry Farmer in Texas.  I remember eating at one on the south side of San Antonio with my grandparents (they had come in to SA for a VA appointment).  It was a real country cafe sorta thing, but also had damned fine cheese enchiladas, IIRC.

Yep still there. We stop there on our way back from trips out west. Glad I'm not the only one

K Bobs were decent.  I once ate at the one in Ft. Stockton Texas.  Apparently Selena(s) had eaten there the day before and signed the wall by the register.  It was a big fkn deal for that town.  

From Southeast Texas during my childhood, Channel Inn, Dorothy's Front Porch, Boondocks, Shep's.

From my early adulthood in Austin, I used to love Cafe Spiazzo in the little strip mall by 2222 and Mopac. It was a great place to bring dates.