Restaurants from your childhood that don’t exist anymore

Longboard Horn

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My childhood best friend lived at that end of the neighborhood, at the dead end of Spellman. Blew through a lotta quarters at Scoops and Games.

As for Lalo’s, that was the first place I had linguini al pesto....and I went to high school with the son of the family that owned it, the Portos.

Wait. I lived on the dead end of Spellman. Who was your friend?

The Portos.   That’s right.  Wow. 

21 minutes ago, Mr.Hovis said:

Are there any of the Steak n Egg places left? There were a few around DFW at one point. Not sure if the they were a regional or national chain. Food was meh, but open 24/7 so an option for drunken dinning.

The one on Sage in Houston is long gone.  I enjoyed going there late night though.

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

Not exactly a restaurant, but does anyone remember Neal’s Ice Cream in Houston from the 80s?  First “craft” ice cream I ever had, and first Ilatian Ice I ever had.

I remember when Steve's replaced Swensen's on Westheimer and Voss.  Both were delicious. 

2 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Not exactly a restaurant, but does anyone remember Neal’s Ice Cream in Houston from the 80s?  First “craft” ice cream I ever had, and first Ilatian Ice I ever had.

Neal came and spoke to my high school magnet program ( business administration).  He got in a bit of trouble when he told an an anecdote about how clueless he was when he started the business. He said someone asked him what emulsifier hecwas using and he said “I thought ‘shit, I don’t even know what an emulsifier is.’”

The pearl clutchers in the teachers’ group gasped and it got silent.  He wasn’t invited back the next year. 

23 hours ago, Whitman said:

I think there are still about 5 or 6 of them off of 95 around the Richmond area .  I know one is down on the NC line in Emporia.  Friends and I would tempt fate and do their breakfast buffet years ago and then within an hour have to stop again for what we called "The Shoney's Shove".    

Yeah they're really just Shoneys in name only now.

My family was in the service and I moved around Europe a lot so the only place that resonates with my childhood is a place called Schwartz Katza. All the staff knew slight of hand magic to entertain kids and I never saw the same trick twice.

Edited by Doc Reeves

8 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

In the DFW area there was one called Next Door. On Josey Lane in Carrollton. There was a phone at the table you ‘d use to call in your order. Don’t remember much else about it though.

There was one in Richardson too, on Coit, between Arapaho and Belt Line in Promenade Center. Fucking loved that place way back when.

addvertisement_1.jpg

Menu.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Charlie's was at Grisby near Highway 6.  That, and Roznovsky's original location were my childhood burger joints.  

I think there was more than one.  I recall there being one farther west on I-10.  Roznovsky's was great!

Anyone remember Pipe Organ Pizza?

• Like 1

There's one right off of 635 in Balch Springs.
How do I know this?
Because in a fit of what was clearly self-loathing, I stopped there and picked up road food heading home from a client meeting.  Batter dipped fish, hush puppies and fried okra.  Eaten with my free hand, seasoned with shame.

Free hand? Shame?

So you are with the right hand, jacked with the left, and steered with the kneee?

On 8/14/2018 at 11:37 PM, Lhorn said:

Used to love Shaky's.  They had these great breaded fried potatoes and chicken with your pizza.  Brilliant.

Mojos.  And they were breaded in this ridiculously salty powder that would add 30 mmHg to your diastolic upon ingestion.  At least they weren't frozen.

17 hours ago, dcbc said:

I think there was more than one. I recall there being one farther west on I-10.  Roznovsky's was great!

Anyone remember Pipe Organ Pizza?

brookshire, in a little white building on the north side of I-10.  used to eat there after little league sometimes. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I think they’re called jojos - at least they are in the Midwest. And I just found that out a coupla years ago.

there was a jo-jo's cafe on I-10 at wilcrest in houston.  ate there for after church breakfast every few months or so.  it's a denny's now. 

19 minutes ago, elfenix said:

there was a jo-jo's cafe on I-10 at wilcrest in houston.  ate there for after church breakfast every few months or so.  it's a denny's now. 

No, goddamit!  The battered potato wedges are called "jojos."  I'm talking bout the taters, not a restaurant!

There also used to be a RESTAURANT called Jojo's -- there were several in Houston, including one we frequented on Braeswood.  They often featured a big round window into a courtyard as an architectural signature.  And in Austin, the same restaurant was called Coco's -- there was one at Anderson and Mopac.

We gots to keep this shit straight, understood?  It's important!

On 8/18/2018 at 10:18 PM, Rusty Shackelford said:

Also some of y’all mentioned Panjo’s Pizza. I don’t know if it’s the same as Houston, but they have one that has been open in Corpus for 50 years

One in Rockport as well.

+1 on Showbiz Pizza. That animatronic Gorilla gave me nightmares, but I still loved that place as a kid

Edited by immortal13

On 8/18/2018 at 9:18 PM, Rusty Shackelford said:

Also some of y’all mentioned Panjo’s Pizza. I don’t know if it’s the same as Houston, but they have one that has been open in Corpus for 50 years

Panjo's in Corpus is great. I don't think the interior ever changed the 25 years I lived in Corpus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

+1 on Showbiz Pizza. That animatronic Gorilla gave me nightmares, but I still loved that place as a kid

They made the band here into a shit copy when Chuck E Cheese took over. Fats will always be the real band leader yo.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, po elvis said:

Monterey House in Plano in the late 70's. I want to say it was at Park and Custer, but could be wrong. I don't know if the food was good or not, but it seems like it was the only mexican food restaurant around back then, besides taco bueno, etc.

My parents used to always take us the Monterrey House on Burnet Road just south of 183 back in the late 70's through the mid 80's. Can't remember much about the food either other than the big brown sugar bombs that were always in the chip baskets. We'd always grab several of those for the ride back home. I'm sure my parents hated us gorging ourselves on these and the massive sugar high that came with it. 

16 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

My parents used to always take us the Monterrey House on Burnet Road just south of 183 back in the late 70's through the mid 80's. Can't remember much about the food either other than the big brown sugar bombs that were always in the chip baskets. We'd always grab several of those for the ride back home. I'm sure my parents hated us gorging ourselves on these and the massive sugar high that came with it. 

That's right. I remember those candies now too.

34 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

Molinas always had big bowls of Pralines.  We'd hit those up hard when we left.