Any thoughts on these colleges?

My daughter is starting at McGill this fall. Ranked 32nd best university in the world, and international tuition is something like $17k per year, much less than out-of-state tuition at any good state university in the US.

10 hours ago, Shmitty said:

the absolutely best school for linguistics and studying foreign languages is BYU (Brigham Young) and for good reason.   Plus tuition, housing, etc will be cheaper by a mile compared to those schools.    But, hands down, BYU has the best foreign language department in the nation and one of the best in the world.  

[jim mcmahon] But it's full of Mormons [/jim mcmahon]

It is cute that brisket is letting the kid drive the bus on this one and won't get in the way.  I assume she's paying her own tuition? 

When my kids get old enough for college, unless they get a full scholarship you damn well better believe I'm going to have some / a lot / all the say on where they wind up. 

10 hours ago, Shmitty said:

the absolutely best school for linguistics and studying foreign languages is BYU (Brigham Young) and for good reason.   Plus tuition, housing, etc will be cheaper by a mile compared to those schools.    But, hands down, BYU has the best foreign language department in the nation and one of the best in the world.  

BYU-Idaho it is then. Good thread everyone and top notch work, congrats Brisket. I'm sure she'll be ecstatic when you give her the news.

It is cute that brisket is letting the kid drive the bus on this one and won't get in the way.  I assume she's paying her own tuition? 
When my kids get old enough for college, unless they get a full scholarship you damn well better believe I'm going to have some / a lot / all the say on where they wind up. 

As the choices get narrowed down - and actual costs are better known - were damned well going to have a significant say. “How much will this ultimately cost, and how will we pay for it?” is of course a pivotal discussion.

But by the same token, it seems a waste to make her apply to places she absolutely doesn’t want to go. That said, I’m still pushing for her to expand her options.

Does she think MIT is out of reach?

Maybe, but more key is that their focus is heavily on computational linguistics (understandably), which (while she’s demonstrated some knack for it) isn’t her thing.

I’m trying to walk a fine line so as not to pressure her or amp up her anxiety, but also making sure she has some good - and affordable - options on front of her.

Honestly, my gut tells me she’ll end up at Edinburgh or McGill, but it’s early yet. We’ll visit McGill in October, and we’ll see.

32 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Maybe, but more key is that their focus is heavily on computational linguistics (understandably), which (while she’s demonstrated some knack for it) isn’t her thing.

I’m trying to walk a fine line so as not to pressure her or amp up her anxiety, but also making sure she has some good - and affordable - options on front of her.

Honestly, my gut tells me she’ll end up at Edinburgh or McGill, but it’s early yet. We’ll visit McGill in October, and we’ll see.

Gotcha.  I think they are pretty strong on more conventional linguistics as well.

I don't have any insight on those particular schools. My only advice is that, while the program she wants to pursue is important, to not let her become fixated by it. Because there's a decent likelihood she will completely change her field of study. So she needs to go somewhere she would be happy regardless of what she's studying.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

I don't have any insight on those particular schools. My only advice is that, while the program she wants to pursue is important, to not let her become fixated by it. Because there's a decent likelihood she will completely change her field of study. So she needs to go somewhere she would be happy regardless of what she's studying.

True, but I would wager that the lil briskette has thought it through pretty well.  It tends to be the flighty types that flip majors all the time.  The one worry I initially had was that the "rigor" of linguistics might turn her off, as engineering frequently does to budding students, forcing a major change.  But it seems she's amply familiar with it and it isn't just a cool sounding major for someone who digs foreign languages.

40 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

True, but I would wager that the lil briskette has thought it through pretty well.  It tends to be the flighty types that flip majors all the time.  The one worry I initially had was that the "rigor" of linguistics might turn her off, as engineering frequently does to budding students, forcing a major change.  But it seems she's amply familiar with it and it isn't just a cool sounding major for someone who digs foreign languages.

Perhaps. But I don't know anyone who would call me flighty and I had been certain for years that I wanted to be a journalism major when I went off to college. I was plenty familiar with it. My dad got his Bachelors in Journalism from UT, I did journalism in middle school and high school, and I had journalism internships in high school. But I dropped out of the journalism school by the end of sophomore year and I was thankful as hell that 17yo me decided not to go to Syracuse.

Edited by DanRydell
  • Like 1

It IS a concern of mine. That’s why I REALLY would prefer her to go someplace that offers some attractive alternatives.

Any thoughts on Fordham? It’s been suggested by several folks who know her. And they offer money to her kind of student.

I was dead set on being a finance major while in high school because I thought being a Gordon Geko, Michael Milken type sleazeball would be awesome af; little jail time wouldn’t be that bad in the grand scheme of things.  One accounting course that bored me to fucking tears later and I switched majors... to engineering.

I’ll never forget the counselor’s words.  “In twenty years doing this job I can count on one hand the number of students that switched from business to engineering.  If I had a dollar for every student that switched the other way, I would be retired already.”

Some times it is worthwhile to switch majors, but like others have said; there is no way a kid can be 100% certain what they want to do until they get into the program.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Not sure if this was mentioned up thread or not, but why October? You'd be better served having her go in late November or early December. It can be nice that time of year (October) and won't give her a real feel for what she's getting herself into. If the school scheduled the info session for that time frame, I get it (also clearly calculated on their part), but if not, I'd suggest letting her feel the full force of winter. They can be brutal (got my masters at Michigan). That said, I enjoyed my time up there.

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Any thoughts on Fordham? It’s been suggested by several folks who know her. And they offer money to her kind of student.

Great place to get an undergrad degree and A10 basketball is a blast. Has she had any thoughts on George Washington or American if she doesn't get into G-town? They're both well respected in the area and are big on foreign affairs.

52 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I was dead set on being a finance major while in high school because I thought being a Gordon Geko, Michael Milken type sleazeball would be awesome af; little jail time wouldn’t be that bad in the grand scheme of things.  One accounting course that bored me to fucking tears later and I switched majors... to engineering.

I’ll never forget the counselor’s words.  “In twenty years doing this job I can count on one hand the number of students that switched from business to engineering.  If I had a dollar for every student that switched the other way, I would be retired already.”

Some times it is worthwhile to switch majors, but like others have said; there is no way a kid can be 100% certain what they want to do until they get into the program.

Agreed.  Again, I'm trying to push her places with more options.

45 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Not sure if this was mentioned up thread or not, but why October? You'd be better served having her go in late November or early December. It can be nice that time of year (October) and won't give her a real feel for what she's getting herself into. If the school scheduled the info session for that time frame, I get it (also clearly calculated on their part), but if not, I'd suggest letting her feel the full force of winter. They can be brutal (got my masters at Michigan). That said, I enjoyed my time up there.

Well, a lot of the timing of visits is dictated by our calendars and availability.  But yeah, McGill purposefully scheduled its information session on October 21.

20 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Great place to get an undergrad degree and A10 basketball is a blast. Has she had any thoughts on George Washington or American if she doesn't get into G-town? They're both well respected in the area and are big on foreign affairs.

I honestly don't know about GW or American -- I know folks who have gone to both, but they're pretty damned pricey, too.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

There are some really weird motherfuckers who are linguistics majors.  I used to sit with them and listen to their utter craziness in grad seminars.  I mean, off the fucking reservation batshit.

One thing's for sure, she won't be bored listening to them.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

It IS a concern of mine. That’s why I REALLY would prefer her to go someplace that offers some attractive alternatives.

my buddy's the vball coach there.  he likes it well enough.

30 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

There are some really weird motherfuckers who are linguistics majors.  I used to sit with them and listen to their utter craziness in grad seminars.  I mean, off the fucking reservation batshit.

One thing's for sure, she won't be bored listening to them.

Well, young briskette is something of an odd duck....really likable and engaging, makes friends wherever she goes.  But, still, an odd duck.

2 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Perhaps. But I don't know anyone who would call me flighty and I had been certain for years that I wanted to be a journalism major when I went off to college. I was plenty familiar with it. My dad got his Bachelors in Journalism from UT, I did journalism in middle school and high school, and I had journalism internships in high school. But I dropped out of the journalism school by the end of sophomore year and I was thankful as hell that 17yo me decided not to go to Syracuse.

So what did you switch to and why did journalism turn you off?

My step brother got offered some kind of scholarship to Duke based on his language scores at Cole High School. Duke had some kind of linguistics something or another, but that's running on almost 20 years ago. Duke is pretty versatile if she chooses to switch gears and might be worth looking into. Also, within driving range of all the headquarters of our government agencies that would be her best shot at a career linguistics.

Interesting that I stumble across this after my answer. My step brother passed on the Duke offer to go to the doomed journalism school at A&M. It shuttered a few years after he graduated. He was working for the Victoria Advocate after graduating, but passed away shortly thereafter. Never thought to ask him why he passed on Duke.

57 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Nothing specific really, just a number of things that made me realize it wasn't how I wanted to spend the next 40 years. I changed majors a few times after that and ultimately ended up with a major of Interdisciplinary Studies, which basically meant having 3 minors instead of a major (mine were History, Poli Sci, and English), before going to law school. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Agreed.  Again, I'm trying to push her places with more options.

Well, a lot of the timing of visits is dictated by our calendars and availability.  But yeah, McGill purposefully scheduled its information session on October 21.

I honestly don't know about GW or American -- I know folks who have gone to both, but they're pretty damned pricey, too.

Oh G.W. My brother-in-law got his doctorate there. Did you pledge?

Yes. Every morning.

On 8/15/2018 at 9:09 AM, Brisketexan said:

She has pretty much zero interest in staying in Texas.

Out of curiosity, how does she plan on paying for all of this out of state (or country) tuition, fees, room, board and travel expenses?   If you're footing the bill, I'd like to think you and her mom have enough sense to remind her of that.  And it's not like she can just drop in for the weekend when she's in Edinburgh.  Hell, even Ann Arbor to Houston (through Detroit) is a several hour trek.   

Anyone else remember and old post from Brisket (hell, it might have even been on Horfans) about his daughter being kind of a duck out of water and now she's ready to globe trot for school?

8 hours ago, luke duke said:

I think that my parents figured out where I went to college a few days after I moved into the dorm and gave them my address.

So true.  No diss to OP, but this whole "college selection" and "college tour" process is so over the top these days.  I think that the "college bubble" thing is real, is happening now and will be increasingly evidenced in coming years.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

So true.  No diss to OP, but this whole "college selection" and "college tour" process is so over the top these days.  I think that the "college bubble" thing is real, is happening now and will be increasingly evidenced in coming years.

To be fair, back in my day, we could decide that we’re going to UT, and we went. It was that easy, and butt cheap.

I agree, the process and the costs are nuts. I’d love it if my kids could just apply to UT as a “safety school,” get in, and then see if there’s a better option out there. That isn’t the way it is now.

I dunno, I'm old and kids visited schools they were interested in.  I did.  I liked UT better than other places.  Rice was intriguing, but I knew I would have more fun at UT and didn't think there was much sacrifice if any (there wasn't really) in academics.  I did not, however, look at schools I didn't think I would get into. 

I was conscious, as were my parents, of not wanting to go too far, both for visiting reasons and because I felt I would make my career and life here.

I was aware of cost, but my parents pretty much acted like it was no object.  I was not initially aware of how staggeringly cheap UT was (It was cheaper than community college the entire time I was enrolled).

27 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

You're letting her dictate the terms. 

I don't really find a problem with this.  Brisket is a product of pretty much the finest this state has to offer and he excels at a well-paying job.  I think the notion of putting your children further along than you were remains a noble idea, especially if they are capable of doing so.  If a kid is a serious student and has serious interests, parents should "indulge" that, even and especially if it means some sacrifice on the home front. 

If they're indifferent students kicking at dumbass majors (marine biology!) at dumbass schools like Pepperdine or something, well yeah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I dunno, I'm old and kids visited schools they were interested in.  I did.  I liked UT better than other places.  Rice was intriguing, but I knew I would have more fun at UT and didn't think there was much sacrifice if any (there wasn't really) in academics.  I did not, however, look at schools I didn't think I would get into. 

I was conscious, as were my parents, of not wanting to go too far, both for visiting reasons and because I felt I would make my career and life here.

I was aware of cost, but my parents pretty much acted like it was no object.  I was not initially aware of how staggeringly cheap UT was (It was cheaper than community college the entire time I was enrolled).

I freely admit to being a world-class curmudgeon.  I told my kids they could go to college any place they wanted to, but if they expected their Mom and I to fully pay for it -- they needed to attend an in-state public school for their undergrad degree. YMMV.  

In-state public with parents footing the bill isn't always that much different than private anywhere else.  I wouldn't presume to lecture anyone on their choices regarding college for their kids.  There is no evidence Brisket is being held hostage by his daughter.  He wants her to have the optimal experience for her chosen field -- oh, the horror!

Surly gonna surly.

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

In-state public with parents footing the bill isn't always that much different than private anywhere else.  I wouldn't presume to lecture anyone on their choices regarding college for their kids.  There is no evidence Brisket is being held hostage by his daughter.  He wants her to have the optimal experience for her chosen field -- oh, the horror!

Surly gonna surly.

No lecturing here.  I'm just saying how it went down at my house.

My only comment (that hasn’t been said yet) is the following: don’t let weather influence where she goes to college. 

So many people say “winters are a bitch in XXX.” Yeah, maybe if you’re 40 years old and have to shovel your driveway/pay for a plow, find childcare for your kids because school cancelled and work didn’t, etc, etc. 

But as a college kid, it’s a blast! A couple bonus days off are nearly guaranteed for snow days, scheduling all your classes in the afternoon so you can ski 4 mornings a week at Tremblant (if she went to McGill), etc. Montreal isn’t really any colder than Boston or other northern U.S. cities. Head up the road to Quebec City-Yes, lots colder. Montreal, not so much. 

Does she speak Spanish? If she is insisting on this craziness, and you let her run the show, maybe a university in Spain?

But honestly, you are crazy for not pushing harder for something like Texas. It is a goddamn good school in many areas of study when she gives up on linguistics, it will be cheaper, she can do several study abroad programs (I did a year in Brazil). Just my 2 cents.

3 hours ago, RiceOwl said:

My only comment (that hasn’t been said yet) is the following: don’t let weather influence where she goes to college. 

So many people say “winters are a bitch in XXX.” Yeah, maybe if you’re 40 years old and have to shovel your driveway/pay for a plow, find childcare for your kids because school cancelled and work didn’t, etc, etc. 

But as a college kid, it’s a blast! A couple bonus days off are nearly guaranteed for snow days, scheduling all your classes in the afternoon so you can ski 4 mornings a week at Tremblant (if she went to McGill), etc. Montreal isn’t really any colder than Boston or other northern U.S. cities. Head up the road to Quebec City-Yes, lots colder. Montreal, not so much. 

I get your point, but ooh, I'm gonna have to disagree with your police work there, Lou:

Inland in Canada is much like the Upper MIdwest - fucking cold as shit and colder than the coast.  

Average winter temps in Montreal:
December 30° / 18°
January 24° / 11°
February 26° / 12°

Average winter temps in Boston:
December 42° / 28°
January 37° / 22°
February 39° / 24°

Boston can get cold, no doubt, but not as consistently and for as long a stretch as Montreal.

When I was in Ann Arbor I was about 22-24, you can't be in the prime any more than that.  I got so sick of struggling in the cold, the peeling off of 34 layers once inside the classroom (and trust me, you can't be a John Wayne and wear something "light" to class, you will get frostbite), the slushy streets the mud on your shit, the slipping and sliding on the ice, etc.  Yeah they even would pile up snow in the intersections near midnight for easier pickup - there was often this 20' high X 30' diameter MASSIVE pile of snow and kids would go out and jump off it and shit, but after the second one, it wasn't fun.  Never mind the ENDLESS cloudy, dingy days.  I got pretty fucking depressed (I mean, I was there for the Detroit super bowl, Niners vs. Bengals, and the "feature" for that week wasn't palm trees, wasn't beaches, was... a fucking blue-collar pub crawl!  Man did they get slammed for that, and frankly why not?  It shows you how to have a "good time" in winter Detroit - get fucking drunk 24/7 for 3 months.)

And Termblant is an ok ski area, but holy shit you'd better go on a mild day.  I used to ski the east growing up and the Eastern cold is fucking worse than anywhere else - and I was born there and used to the climate.

I mean, sure, go to McGill if they give you $$ or you like it, but nope.  Winters on the west side of the St. Lawrence (and really anywhere > 100 miles from the Atlantic coast) are no fucking thank you any more.

One of the greatest days of my life was sitting, newly-arrived as a UT student, inside the Fine Arts Library studying for finals in December -- where it was sunny, 65°, and gorgeous out.  That's when I said I am never going back.  So far, so good.  Yeah, even in our shitty summers, I prefer "down here".

Edited by phdhorn

Yeah, she no habla the espanol (oh, the irony).  She knows some, just by virtue of her family, but she long ago decided to focus on German (although she's now starting to work on French as well -- her goal is to be genuinely fluent in German by the end of sophomore year of college, and be strongly conversant to fluent in French by graduation, and then maybe work on a fourth language).

And as to the weather -- we're just making her aware.  Odds are, here life and career will take her any number of different places. Honestly, at this point, I'm going to be milldy surprised if she lives out her adult life in the US.  Some places she might be are cold, some not.  She might as well learn how to deal with different climates.

And I totally understand why she wants to leave the only town she's ever lived in.  Hell, I wasn't nearly as worldly a kid as she is, and I never even considered any of my hometown Houston schools.  I could have gotten a full ride to UH easily, and probably could have gotten into Rice with some money thrown in, but I wanted to get away from home.  Even if it was just 160 miles up the road, it was far enough away to be someplace different, where I could be on my own and make my own way.

Oh, and Macanudo, you recall correctly.  This is a kid who had anxiety about EVERYTHING when she was younger.  We've pushed her a great deal, and helped to put her in places where she could develop some confidence in herself.  She just got home a few weeks ago from a trip to Germany and Scotland, which she navigated entirely on her own.  She flew to Frankfurt, took the train to Cologne to meet her family.  Spent three weeks with them.  Then hopped the train to Berlin to visit her friend for a week.  Then flew from Berlin to Edinburgh to check out the university, and the city environs around it.  Then, she had to get up at before the asscrack of dawn to hop in an Uber, get to the airport, fly to Manchester, and connect to a flight to Vegas.  She cleared customs there, hopped a SWA flight to LAX (we had arrived there for our vacation), where I picked her up.  I was pretty damned proud of her -- still am, actually.  I couldn't have handled that at 17.  At 17, I was focused on beer and tail (I may have the order wrong).

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, Pepperdine is like the Baylor of California.  No redeeming qualities whatsoever.  

Image result for pepperdine university

I thought about editing to explain this.  I'm sure Pepperdine is a fine school and probably really excels in some areas.  Nevertheless, if your kid wants to go there because of the beach setting and to major in Marine BIology! or underwater basketweaving or some such nonsensical major (or even a sensible major for which they have shown no aptitude or interest), I think it would be legitimate as a parent to say, no, not gonna indulge that.

And, although I have many issues with the way Baylor runs some shit, it has always been a pretty half-decent school, or better, academically.

Edited by TwiceHorn

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was mostly just fucking around, although I am curious about your disdain for Marine Biology.  It never struck me as some kind of cakewalk major, but I have to admit, I've put about 37 seconds of thought into it, and absolutely no research.

Same here.  My daughter is a MB graduate, she's done work on toxicology, which is studying animal venoms which have human implications. I understand it's not exactly a market-commanding field, but it sure as hell is valuable.

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was mostly just fucking around, although I am curious about your disdain for Marine Biology.  It never struck me as some kind of cakewalk major, but I have to admit, I've put about 37 seconds of thought into it, and absolutely no research.

No disdain for the major itself.  But I think it's one of those things that's driven not by serious interest, but because the kiddo has Flipper or Sea Hunt or Free Willy fantasies and wants to live by the ocean and feed dolphins.  I tend to think it might often be the result of "pin the tail on the major."

Mostly wanted to elaborate that I didn't want to slag Pepperdine too hard, because I know next to nothing about it.  But it does have attractions that have little to do with serious academics.

Edited by TwiceHorn

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No disdain for the major itself.  But I think it's one of those things that's driven not by serious interest, but because the kiddo has Flipper or Sea Hunt or Free Willy fantasies and wants to live by the ocean and feed dolphins.  I tend to think it might often be the result of "pin the tail on the major."

I get that, but trust me, 95% of those kids drop out/are weeded out by the first year.  You have to be pretty good in organic chemistry and biological taxonomy and stuff like that.  It's not quantum physics, but it certainly isn't a picnic.  It pays shit, I'll grant you that. 

She's going to try to get work in a lab in the future, studying venoms and how viruses spread (that's her specialty).  "Human" biololgy has its own set of people who do that as well, but sometimes the animal people discover stuff that have enormous consequences for humans.  She loves the work and it's pretty interesting.