Any thoughts on these colleges?

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Michigan and Georgetown have deferred her.  Honestly, unless one of them came through with gobs of money (which I doubt)

Neither of them will. Not for a student they've deferred.

Congrats on her admissions to the other two - she must really fucking hate Texas summers.

I've been noodling on taking a trip to Scotland - would be a fun place for the family to visit if she goes that route. Although heard Montreal is badass, too. 

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A bit of an update:

Prepping for trial this morning, my phone rings and it's my daughter.  She doesn't usually call me at this hour, so I damned well answer.  I can tell she's been crying.  She starts with "so, I have some good news....I got into McGill."

McGill has been her first choice for a while, and it's the LAST one for her to hear from.  Edinburgh is her second choice (so, she does have a decision to make), and it was actually the first one she got into -- when she got that acceptance, she called me (actually in tears, that time), and said "I got in to Edinburgh - I'm going to college!  I'm really going to college!"

Michigan and Georgetown have deferred her.  Honestly, unless one of them came through with gobs of money (which I doubt), they're probably off the table.  UMass accepted her and threw a fair amount of money at her, although the final cost would end up being on par with McGill and Edinburgh.

So as of now, McGill seems to be her first choice, and she's in.  She was so excited when she called me, it was honestly hard for me not to tear up.  We're really excited for her.  I'm sure we'll talk about it in more detail tonight and the rest of the week, but I suspect she's made up her mind, and she can call it a day and commit.

Just wanted to update the assholes around here.  For a variety of reasons, we all needed some good news around here, and we got a couple of pieces of it, overlapping with what has been a pretty emotional and difficult week.  And some of y'all had asked for an update.  So, there it is, for now.

Congratulations, friendo!

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Neither of them will. Not for a student they've deferred. 

Congrats on her admissions to the other two - she must really fucking hate Texas summers.

I've been noodling on taking a trip to Scotland - would be a fun place for the family to visit if she goes that route. Although heard Montreal is badass, too. 

Yeah, I'd expect limited $$$ from either (that said, the deferral process these days, as I understand it, is more of a "we only take a certain limited number of folks early-action, we want to see the full application pool before we decide on anyone else," so there can still be some money with an acceptance.  But I agree that it's HIGHLY unlikely that they could beat the total cost of McGill or Edinburgh.

We'll see about the cold.  I'm sure she'll end up griping about it, but she's also got her head around the idea that based on her fields of study/expertise, she'll likely spend some time in cold places for the rest of her life.

We love both Edinburgh and Montreal. They are both kick-ass cities.  But the idea of her being a 6 hour flight, $400 round trip away from home is somewhat more attractive than being a 13 hour flight, $1300 round trip away.

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

Well if she wants to learn a foreign language, Scotland is the perfect place. Not to mention, Edinburgh is a great great city.

She's got German down -- she's about as fluent as you can be without spending a semester/year over there (which she'll probably do at some point).  Now, she's working on French, which of course will be helped by being in a Francophone province.  And, as a bonus, if you test out of intermediate French after 2 years, you can get a Quebec green card and get resident tuition after that.  So, the goal is fluent in German and French, and picking up good bits of other languages (she's already got a fair amount of Norwegian down, as we're looking to visit Norway this summer, so she's just studying it for fun).

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

She's got German down -- she's about as fluent as you can be without spending a semester/year over there (which she'll probably do at some point).  Now, she's working on French, which of course will be helped by being in a Francophone province.  And, as a bonus, if you test out of intermediate French after 2 years, you can get a Quebec green card and get resident tuition after that.  So, the goal is fluent in German and French, and picking up good bits of other languages (she's already got a fair amount of Norwegian down, as we're looking to visit Norway this summer, so she's just studying it for fun).

Obviously your'e not a golfer.  I was making light of the Scottish people and their inability to be understood by the rest of the English speaking world, not to mention that they've got a slang phrase for every single thing they do that may or may not make sense to anyone other than them.  If you add alcohol to the mix, and let's face it this is Scotland we're talking about so there will be lots of alcohol, they may as well be speaking some forgotten language form the third century BC.  

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

Obviously your'e not a golfer.  I was making light of the Scottish people and their inability to be understood by the rest of the English speaking world, not to mention that they've got a slang phrase for every single thing they do that may or may not make sense to anyone other than them.  If you add alcohol to the mix, and let's face it this is Scotland we're talking about so there will be lots of alcohol, they may as well be speaking some forgotten language form the third century BC.  

Ach if ye canny understan it is yer oon falt ya daf cunt

On 9/13/2018 at 6:22 PM, Brisketexan said:

...  Right now, McGill is near the top for her, and I like it too -- the cost ain't much more than UT, when you figure in room and board and all that jazz....

Lets hope her boyfriend doesnt have her email passwords when the acceptance letter goes out. 

On 2/4/2019 at 11:54 AM, Brisketexan said:

Where is she picking up Norwegian? Duolingo?

Badass and her path is certainly the path I hope my daughter takes...if I ever have a daughter.

Congrats, Brisket!  Trying to get my twins to look at some schools in Scotland.  I think it would be great for them, and some great opportunities, but not sure they could pull the trigger on going that far from home.  Dad would like them to so I can come visit often and golf.

57 minutes ago, chitwood said:

Congrats, Brisket!  Trying to get my twins to look at some schools in Scotland.  I think it would be great for them, and some great opportunities, but not sure they could pull the trigger on going that far from home.  Dad would like them to so I can come visit often and golf.

Selfish Bastard !

• Like 1

Final update, I guess.  After that, I'll start a "so, how does my daughter keep from freezing her ass off?" thread: when she got her acceptance, I told her to think on it, and be sure.  She didn't have to commit right away.  She said okay.  She waited a whole 24 hours, then accepted and sent in her deposit.

She is so damned excited, it's actually pretty cool to see.  Academically, it's a great school, and is highly regarded for the field she presently plans to study, linguistics.  But more than anything else, we want her to take advantage of a great environment, and a world-class city, and have a great university experience.  So, on to the next steps -- the big one now is immigration paperwork.  I told her that if she sneaks across the St. Lawrence, she'd still technically be a mojada, so let's get the paperwork right.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Final update, I guess.  After that, I'll start a "so, how does my daughter keep from freezing her ass off?" thread: when she got her acceptance, I told her to think on it, and be sure.  She didn't have to commit right away.  She said okay.  She waited a whole 24 hours, then accepted and sent in her deposit.

She is so damned excited, it's actually pretty cool to see.  Academically, it's a great school, and is highly regarded for the field she presently plans to study, linguistics.  But more than anything else, we want her to take advantage of a great environment, and a world-class city, and have a great university experience.  So, on to the next steps -- the big one now is immigration paperwork.  I told her that if she sneaks across the St. Lawrence, she'd still technically be a mojada, so let's get the paperwork right.  

I had several mojadas last night.

Going to college as a woman is for two things: Getting a degree that will make you money or finding a man that will make you money. Given the whole linguistics thing, I suggest that you push her towards the latter.

Also, she’ll be back in Texas in a couple years after a few polar vortexes. 

Edited by housious

Going to college as a woman is for two things: Getting a degree that will make you money or finding a man that will make you money. Given the whole linguistics thing, I suggest that you push her towards the latter.

Yes, smart, educated trilingual people hardly ever make money. And they definitely have small world views that keep them within a few miles of where they were born.
I’m not worried about her finding a good path. At all.

I'm going to put this as nicely as possible...

This really makes you come off as a miserable cunt and a very small, insecure man.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I went to an Alouettes-Stampeders game at McGill a couple of years ago...

14876597_1127845013977601_58558760825788

And I don't care if you hate hockey... plan a trip up there where you go to a Canadiens game.  It was amazing.  

BTW, if you look at the top right of the picture, the building behind those flags -- that's part of a pretty bitching dorm complex.  She should look into that.  

Yegh.  That dorm was built in '37, about the same time as Brack, Roberts & Prather.  Frankly, from the videos, UT looks to have done a better job maintaining/upgrading old dorms.  Douglas Hall looks like Brackenridge 30 years ago, possibly worse.

But then again, McGill doesn't seem to have gotten on the great expanding tuition/administration/facilities treadmill that most US universities are on.

Also, looks like they have coed community baths.  Sorry, I'm not that progressive.  I wouldn't want chicks around while I'm ripping ass and blowing mud.  And from what I understand, I may not have wanted to be around college chicks ripping ass and blowing mud.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Yegh.  That dorm was built in '37, about the same time as Brack, Roberts & Prather.  Frankly, from the videos, UT looks to have done a better job maintaining/upgrading old dorms.  Douglas Hall looks like Brackenridge 30 years ago, possibly worse.

But then again, McGill doesn't seem to have gotten on the great expanding tuition/administration/facilities treadmill that most US universities are on.

Also, looks like they have coed community baths.  Sorry, I'm not that progressive.  I wouldn't want chicks around while I'm ripping ass and blowing mud.  And from what I understand, I may not have wanted to be around college chicks ripping ass and blowing mud.

This definitely made me chuckle. Those dorms are nothing fancy. But fuck it, they’re dorms. And the shitter thing made me laugh. She looked at that issue with us, and when we pointed it out, she said “whatever - I shared a bathroom with my disgusting brother my whole life.” He nodded and grinned.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:48 PM, Brisketexan said:

Thought I’d gather intel anywhere I can. And yes, I’ve tried to convince the girl to look at Texas...no dice (maybe for grad school). She’s a language person - wants to speak at least three by the time she graduates college, and is looking to study linguistics (which has driven her search).

She’s focused on these five schools (and we’ll have visited all by the time the fall is over).

Georgetown (a bit of a reach for her, we think...and fuck, it’s expensive)

McGill (in Montreal)

Edinburgh (not the RGV - Scotland)

Michigan

UMass at Amherst

I really would like her to apply to Rice, Texas, and Maryland...but she’s got a mind of her own, and I ain’t gonna drive this bus.

So, does anyone have any thoughts or experiences at those schools?

I have a good buddy that went to Michigan.  If she wants to contact him and get some feedback, I know he would be willing to give her some time.  Let me know.

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This definitely made me chuckle. Those dorms are nothing fancy. But fuck it, they’re dorms. And the shitter thing made me laugh. She looked at that issue with us, and when we pointed it out, she said “whatever - I shared a bathroom with my disgusting brother my whole life.” He nodded and grinned.

Haha yeah, it's absurd to give it much weight.  Dorms gon dorm.  But, given the attention we have paid to tuition costs and attendant ridiculous facilities upgrades, I have paid more attention to university housing options.

14 hours ago, Player said:

Is it just me, or are those the steepest goddamn bleachers ever? One too many Molsons and one misstep and you could tumble all the way out to the middle of the 55 fucking yardline.

The angle made it look a little steeper. Steep but not crazy so. Prob no more than the upper West side at DKR.

bleachers.jpg

@Beau Vine that'll be $9.95 for adjusting your photo.

Yeah, I'd expect limited $$$ from either (that said, the deferral process these days, as I understand it, is more of a "we only take a certain limited number of folks early-action, we want to see the full application pool before we decide on anyone else," so there can still be some money with an acceptance.  But I agree that it's HIGHLY unlikely that they could beat the total cost of McGill or Edinburgh.
We'll see about the cold.  I'm sure she'll end up griping about it, but she's also got her head around the idea that based on her fields of study/expertise, she'll likely spend some time in cold places for the rest of her life.
We love both Edinburgh and Montreal. They are both kick-ass cities.  But the idea of her being a 6 hour flight, $400 round trip away from home is somewhat more attractive than being a 13 hour flight, $1300 round trip away.

What if Angus McHaggis raises shaggy bevos? Beats Tim Horton Canuck talking aboot Tim Horton’s.

Brisket, I apologize for being late to this thread as I went thru a very similar issue the last two years.  Daughter had a 4.0, 33 ACT, speaks a couple of languages, yada yada yada.  I was hoping she'd pick UT or another local Texas school (hell, I have the Hazlewood for her to use - 150cr hrs for in-state public schools tuition waived) but she was bound and determined to go to a school nationally/globally recognized in the field she wanted to pursue.

Her career path of choice in this case is UX.  UT doesn't have an undergrad program in the specialty but they do have a masters - no problem right?  She can go to UT in any undergrad program then get her masters right? Negative, she wanted to first get her undergrad in UX then consider a masters later. /facepalm.  After some research (on her part) it came down to UC San Diego (ick), Berkeley (ick), Carnegie Mellon (I thought that was for pilots?), UDub in Seattle (nice), or MSOE (what?).  Turns out MSOE has a 100% placement rate for UX undergrads at a significantly higher starting salary, who knew?  She applied and was called the next day being told she's accepted with a scholarship offer that accounted for over 2/3's of her tuition (hey, this girl in STEM thing is for real).

Long setup - here's the point: One year later she's in her second semester in winter cold Milwaukee, far away from home and LOVING IT.  She's enjoying the whole process of stepping out on her own and being immersed in a different environment than home (Austin/RR her entire life).  Yeah it's a pain in the butt because I don't get to see her that often, visits are a logistics coordination effort after all, but I've learned to make scheduled calls with her every single week at a designated time which she REALLY appreciates.  It may sound cliche but daughters really do need their dads to stay in contact: when she has rough spots she's cried on the phone a couple of times here and there, but she's growing stronger and more confident and I really feel like I'm a part of that by just being her support back home.

tl;dr: you and your daughter will be fine, I'm going thru it now and it'll be a new stage of life for you both - it is possible to make it a great stage if you roll with it.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2019 at 12:17 AM, Player said:

Is it just me, or are those the steepest goddamn bleachers ever? One too many Molsons and one misstep and you could tumble all the way out to the middle of the 55 fucking yardline.

For some reason Molsons and 55 yard line made this joke gawddamn perfectly executed.

• Like 2

Brisket, I apologize for being late to this thread as I went thru a very similar issue the last two years.  Daughter had a 4.0, 33 ACT, speaks a couple of languages, yada yada yada.  I was hoping she'd pick UT or another local Texas school (hell, I have the Hazlewood for her to use - 150cr hrs for in-state public schools tuition waived) but she was bound and determined to go to a school nationally/globally recognized in the field she wanted to pursue.
Her career path of choice in this case is UX.  UT doesn't have an undergrad program in the specialty but they do have a masters - no problem right?  She can go to UT in any undergrad program then get her masters right? Negative, she wanted to first get her undergrad in UX then consider a masters later. /facepalm.  After some research (on her part) it came down to UC San Diego (ick), Berkeley (ick), Carnegie Mellon (I thought that was for pilots?), UDub in Seattle (nice), or MSOE (what?).  Turns out MSOE has a 100% placement rate for UX undergrads at a significantly higher starting salary, who knew?  She applied and was called the next day being told she's accepted with a scholarship offer that accounted for over 2/3's of her tuition (hey, this girl in STEM thing is for real).
Long setup - here's the point: One year later she's in her second semester in winter cold Milwaukee, far away from home and LOVING IT.  She's enjoying the whole process of stepping out on her own and being immersed in a different environment than home (Austin/RR her entire life).  Yeah it's a pain in the butt because I don't get to see her that often, visits are a logistics coordination effort after all, but I've learned to make scheduled calls with her every single week at a designated time which she REALLY appreciates.  It may sound cliche but daughters really do need their dads to stay in contact: when she has rough spots she's cried on the phone a couple of times here and there, but she's growing stronger and more confident and I really feel like I'm a part of that by just being her support back home.
tl;dr: you and your daughter will be fine, I'm going thru it now and it'll be a new stage of life for you both - it is possible to make it a great stage if you roll with it.

Your daughter sounds pretty awesome. We’re definitely hoping for a similar experience.
Most of the value of a degree is in reputation, send like Michigan is the one to go to on the original list. But that would be out of state tuition for a colder version of UT.

Long-term reputation was certainly a consideration for her. All of the schools on her list have an excellent rep in her field, and as part of her college search, she already talked to a bunch of the bigwigs in the graduate studies area. It’s a good network. Now, we’ll see if she sticks with her EXACT major, but either way, McGill’s got a lot of great similar programs - I’m confident she’ll stick with languages some way or another. Grad school could be any number of great places. Of course, just having the language skills offers work opportunities, too.
You know, the process has made me realize what a cool juncture of life this is. She’s 18. She’s pure potential and promise. A world of options and opportunities - many of which she can’t even imagine right now - is in front of her. I’d forgotten being in that place in life. Of course, I was pretty focused on beer and ass at that stage, so my vision was different.