UTSA Roadrunners

Chico_SA

48 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Baylor or Smu if they become available.  Hope Traylor doesn't try to take on the UH or Arky jobs -- both are terrible options.   

I actually think UH in the BigXII >>>>arky in the  SEC. Rumlin and Herman were able to win there, so if Traylor is the coach all of his fanbois want us to believe, UH probably wouldnt be that bad a place to take a manageable P5 gig. But then again, I guess you would also have to put up Fritatta's bullshit, so maybe you're right. 

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

I actually think UH in the BigXII >>>>arky in the  SEC. Rumlin and Herman were able to win there, so if Traylor is the coach all of his fanbois want us to believe, UH probably wouldnt be that bad a place to take a manageable P5 gig. But then again, I guess you would also have to put up Fritatta's bullshit, so maybe you're right. 

Arkansas has massive expectations and they are now in the firing coaches after 2.5 to 3 year mode and that destroys a program (a bit less with NIL, but still).....Traylor would have the east Texas recruiting and Texas in general that Arkansas desperately wants, but he will get 3 years to make something happen or he is fired and has to go to Nick's Coaching rehab after that....and who knows if Nick's will still be open then and without that who knows how you go about rehabing

Houston is a disaster with the tilman factor, unrealistic buyouts, a failed "move up", unrealistic expectations (especially now that tilman and Khator have egg on their faces from the dana disaster) and all of those "air raid" coaches leave programs in horrible shape and dana is even worse....lazy players, entitled players, players that like the coach that was slack on them, poor recruiting especially for anything besides offense, skill sets that only match the tired and already figured out "air raid"......following one of them is mostly a recipe for disaster and holgar is the worst one to follow behind

Baylor would be a much better fit for him or possibly SMU if they lose their coach to somewhere

Traylor has options though at least right now and more of these types of coaches are turning down an extra $1.5 million a year to move to a place that will give them 3 years max before fired because they know they are locked in where they currently are and can wait out the right opportunity to make a jump for $1.5 to $2 million more to have the best chance at success that can lead to the $7 million per year job with all 5 years guaranteed even if fired after 3

5 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

Traylor has options though at least right now and more of these types of coaches are turning down an extra $1.5 million a year to move to a place that will give them 3 years max before fired because they know they are locked in where they currently are and can wait out the right opportunity to make a jump for $1.5 to $2 million more to have the best chance at success that can lead to the $7 million per year job with all 5 years guaranteed even if fired after 3

Traylor is A55 and he's losing his star QB.  He really needs to move on from UTSA after this season, but I doubt aggy hires him.  Smu or baylor if they open up are his best shots. 

If he is desperate, he takes the UH job.  

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Traylor is A55 and he's losing his star QB.  He really needs to move on from UTSA after this season, but I doubt aggy hires him.  Smu or baylor if they open up are his best shots. 

If he is desperate, he takes the UH job.  

there is the concern of becoming Matt Campbell where the opportunity goes by as you stay where you are

but Traylor is 55 that is young for a HC, he has a LONG leash at UTSA so he has a chance to bounce back from a bad season or two and get back to 8 or 9 wins and become "hot" again if he does drop off after this year

the alternative it a place like Arkansas where he has 3 years max and where if he is fired he might never get another chance to be a HC or a dumpster fire like UH with idiotic expectations......or wait for a better situation than Arkansas and move there and hope for success and then the $7 or $8 million per year job

I do not think Traylor has enough success to make the Napier type jump yet for $7 million.....he either takes the RIGHT $4 million job or the wrong one and the wrong one means he never gets the $7 million + a year job

On 11/17/2023 at 10:45 AM, ButtFumble said:

Traylor is 55 that is young for a HC, he has a LONG leash at UTSA so he has a chance to bounce back from a bad season or two and get back to 8 or 9 wins and become "hot" again if he does drop off after this year

Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but 55 is not young for a HC. If he has a bad season or two, then bounces back, he’ll be 57 or 58. That leaves him with probably one legitimate shot remaining at a prime HC job.

At 55, I’d take a $5mil/year job that may only give me 3 years to produce before I’d gamble on a 2-3 year rebuild at UTSA.

In fact, I’d make the move to a different UTSA-level program that actually supports the FB program and rebuild that before I’d gamble trying to rebuild UTSA. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

55 is a magical age. If you haven’t reached 55 yet, for many men it is an age where you slow down, stop caring as much, and look to cash in as much as possible financially. I had no idea Traylor was that old. Not saying every man is that way because obviously there are many many examples that go against the rule, especially in coaching. But, a lot of these guys, even the coaches, are not burning the midnight oil like their younger peers.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

55 is a magical age. If you haven’t reached 55 yet, for many men it is an age where you slow down, stop caring as much, and look to cash in as much as possible financially. I had no idea Traylor was that old. Not saying every man is that way because obviously there are many many examples that go against the rule, especially in coaching. But, a lot of these guys, even the coaches, are not burning the midnight oil like their younger peers.

B12 will be an easier league and offer a better chance for Traylor to be successful than the SEC.  

59 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but 55 is not young for a HC. If he has a bad season or two, then bounces back, he’ll be 57 or 58. That leaves him with probably one legitimate shot remaining at a prime HC job.

At 55, I’d take a $5mil/year job that may only give me 3 years to produce before I’d gamble on a 2-3 year rebuild at UTSA.

In fact, I’d make the move to a different UTSA-level program that actually supports the FB program and rebuild that before I’d gamble trying to rebuild UTSA. 

it is a gamble, but he is making $2.55 now and I am not sure he will get $5 from some of the places that are open because the ones that pay that see him as a reach.....Sark is making $5.6

while Pittman is making over $6 and I think he makes that because he had one good season and Arkansas was in a rush to show that "we found our guy" (mini-aggy flex) it drops down to $5.5 or so from there with a lot of coaches that have proven history and then gets down to the $4.5 range for coaches that are at places where they have proven themselves now

when you look at taxes and the "take home" and agent fees on that extra $1.5 million or so or even $2 million if he can get $4.5 well he is not raking in "fuck you money" for 3 years and fired (even with 5 guaranteed)

It is a risk, but I think he is a risk taker and if he can get to the right place for $4 to $4.5 then he can turn that pretty quick into $7 or more somewhere else

the downside is he will be at UTSA probably 4 or 5 more years making $2.55 before they finally let him go....I think his reputation is strong enough to get a good QB in the portal or to only be down for a year before he is back winning 8+ at UTSA and is shit hot again after one down year

in addition SMU is leaving the AAC, Tulane will not just stay on top, Memphis is looking rough, UCF and Cincy are already gone so the AAC is wide open and the other programs after Memphis and Tulane are pretty much shit

I think he would jump for $4 to $4.5, but it will not be to Arkansas, or a fucked up UH it will be to a place where he gets 4 years to actually coach unless it is a dumpster fire in his first 3

Edited by ButtFumble

On 11/17/2023 at 2:54 AM, ButtFumble said:

Arkansas has massive expectations and they are now in the firing coaches after 2.5 to 3 year mode and that destroys a program (a bit less with NIL, but still).....Traylor would have the east Texas recruiting and Texas in general that Arkansas desperately wants, but he will get 3 years to make something happen or he is fired and has to go to Nick's Coaching rehab after that....and who knows if Nick's will still be open then and without that who knows how you go about rehabing

Houston is a disaster with the tilman factor, unrealistic buyouts, a failed "move up", unrealistic expectations (especially now that tilman and Khator have egg on their faces from the dana disaster) and all of those "air raid" coaches leave programs in horrible shape and dana is even worse....lazy players, entitled players, players that like the coach that was slack on them, poor recruiting especially for anything besides offense, skill sets that only match the tired and already figured out "air raid"......following one of them is mostly a recipe for disaster and holgar is the worst one to follow behind

Baylor would be a much better fit for him or possibly SMU if they lose their coach to somewhere

Holgorsen wasn't hired to win games. He was hired to get UH into the B12. He'd been through it once, cause he was WVU coach when they went to the B12, and had a ton of contacts in the league. Agree with you totally that UH wouldn't be on my Christmas list if I was coach job shopping. Got a few donors that want to run everything, and nobody in the whole city gives a crap about the Cougars, including the students. 

I've been to Arkansas a few times, and couldn't imagine living there. Beautiful scenery, but a little too "Dueling Banjos" for me, if you get my drift. Truth on the expectations. 

Baylor just extended Aranda in 2021, and the rumors I've heard are that the buyout would be 20 million. If his games continue to look like the Kansas State game, they might let him go, but right now, they're trying to protect him and avoid the buyout. I don't think he runs the program. The program runs around him, and they may try to find an up and comer coordinator to take the reigns while letting Aranda continue to do the worst pressers in the history of the universe. 

Would SMU be an upgrade over UTSA? I know, I know, everybody's looking for the bigger, better deal, but Traylor's making 2.5 mil at UTSA, the whole city loves him and the Road Runners, and I don't see the SMU gig, where nobody in the metroplex is ever gonna give a shit about the ponies as a fun job. 

Ok road runner fans.  The smoke about traylor leaving is getting thicker.  I think we all knew it would happen eventually.   
so who is on the short list to replace him?  Will they try to keep continuity?  Maybe promote the DC Jess Lopp, or try to bring back former OC  Will Stein ( currently at Oregon) 

So they have the cash to steal GJ Kinne?  

bring the major back to his old stomping grounds?

Gary Patterson?  Is he still getting money from tcu?

On 11/17/2023 at 12:33 AM, Blotto said:

I agree he’s at his peak, but im not sure he’s P5 ready. Where are his ‘big’ wins ?

Wonder if Traylor is willing to roll the dice and wait another year hoping to get a shot at Arky, baylor, or smu opening up ???

UTSA working to keep Jeff Traylor

ZACH BARNETT      1 HOUR AGO

UTSA is working on a package to increase its football budget by $2 million per year in order to keep Jeff Traylor, according to Greg Luca of the San Antonio Express-News.  Traylor is a candidate for the Houston job, which opened Sunday. 

Traylor signed a 10-year, $28 million extension in the fall of 2021 amid openings at TCU and Texas Tech, which makes him the highest-paid head coach in the American.  The additional $2 million would be allocated to Traylor's coaching staff.  

UTSA has lost offensive coordinators Barry Lunney, Jr. (Illinois) and Will Stein (Oregon) to Power 5 programs, and Traylor would like to stop that from happening if the Roadrunners are to sustain success in the American.

Among the 13 programs to move "up" a conference from 2022 to 2023, UTSA was one of just three to post a winning conference record. The 2-time defending Conference USA champions played defending AAC champ Tulane in a de facto conference semifinal game on Saturday, a 29-16 loss marred by five Roadrunner turnovers.

The loss snapped a 17-game conference losing streak for UTSA. Overall, Traylor is 38-14 at UTSA, including: a 29-4 mark in conference games, a 24-2 conference record over the past three seasons, and an 18-0 record in conference home games.

"We are still way behind in a lot of areas, but my president, my AD, and our boosters are working like heck to get caught up," Traylor said during a radio interview last week. "The good news is when people are out discussing hiring you for some reason your own place seems to get moving a little faster, so this is a win-win for everyone as long as my players keep winning and they get the best Jeff Traylor."

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder if Traylor is willing to roll the dice and wait another year hoping to get a shot at Arky, baylor, or smu opening up ???

UTSA working to keep Jeff Traylor

ZACH BARNETT      1 HOUR AGO

UTSA is working on a package to increase its football budget by $2 million per year in order to keep Jeff Traylor, according to Greg Luca of the San Antonio Express-News.  Traylor is a candidate for the Houston job, which opened Sunday. 

Traylor signed a 10-year, $28 million extension in the fall of 2021 amid openings at TCU and Texas Tech, which makes him the highest-paid head coach in the American.  The additional $2 million would be allocated to Traylor's coaching staff.  

UTSA has lost offensive coordinators Barry Lunney, Jr. (Illinois) and Will Stein (Oregon) to Power 5 programs, and Traylor would like to stop that from happening if the Roadrunners are to sustain success in the American.

Among the 13 programs to move "up" a conference from 2022 to 2023, UTSA was one of just three to post a winning conference record. The 2-time defending Conference USA champions played defending AAC champ Tulane in a de facto conference semifinal game on Saturday, a 29-16 loss marred by five Roadrunner turnovers.

The loss snapped a 17-game conference losing streak for UTSA. Overall, Traylor is 38-14 at UTSA, including: a 29-4 mark in conference games, a 24-2 conference record over the past three seasons, and an 18-0 record in conference home games.

"We are still way behind in a lot of areas, but my president, my AD, and our boosters are working like heck to get caught up," Traylor said during a radio interview last week. "The good news is when people are out discussing hiring you for some reason your own place seems to get moving a little faster, so this is a win-win for everyone as long as my players keep winning and they get the best Jeff Traylor."

i think the math doesn't work out there in that claim

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Chico_SA said:

Frank Harris done with football.  Went out on his own terms and will now work as part of an NIL campaign four UTSA.

https://www.sacurrent.com/arts/university-of-texas-at-san-antonio-quarterback-frank-harris-retiring-from-football-33470724

you know, SA has a ton corporations and a nice tech industry … lot of big checkbooks to call on 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DH is a surprising roster add for Traylor.  I'm beginning to wonder how much longer Coach Traylor stays in SA... not sure he likes picking up a player like this, but Traylor really wants to compete so guess he's more willing to take on this type of risk.  

1 hour ago, GJ Winne said:

"Aggies" was trending on twitter, so I clicked to see what those moops did today and as I scrolled, I saw this from a week or so back.  Damn nice pickup if he can keep his act together.

Narrator: He won't.

I'll be shocked it he's still on the team by fall.

• 1 month later...

UTSA hires Jenna Learn, college football's youngest director of recruiting

Screenshot_20240323-161039_kindlephoto-6326649.thumb.png.c557ae581695886b1c0e8e479f9726ed.png

Jeff Traylor's made bold moves and posted big wins in his tenure atop UTSA, turning the Roadrunners into one of college football's Group of 5 darlings.

Now, Traylor's made a dynamic new hire for handle UTSA's recruiting.

Multiple people have informed FootballScoop that Jenna Learn has accepted the role of UTSA's director of recruiting; 247Sports also reported the news of Learn's addition to the Roadrunners' staff.

Formerly Michigan State's director of on-campus recruiting, Learn -- who barreled through college to graduate early -- got her first full-time job in recruiting at age 20 for the USF Bulls, where she served her alma mater as recruiting and operations assistant.

At just 22 years old, Learn is believed to be the youngest director of recruiting in Football Bowls Subdivision programs.

The Roadrunners open their 2024 season Aug. 31 at home against Kennesaw State; two weeks later they have a showcase opportunity Sept. 14 reigning Big 12 champion and 2023 College Football Playoff semifinalist Texas, which is transitioning into its first year as an SEC member.