are there any anti-vaxxers here?

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, trauma babe said:

Oh my god, go fuck yourself.

Lol, sorry, TB.  I should say hippies gonna hippy.  Mea culpa.

Edit:  immediately after replying, I managed to walk into a bedpost and unwittingly clock myself in the balls.  Apparently dumbass gonna dumbass and karma gonna karma.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

These threads aren't as fun if 244335 isn't wishing death upon posters and their families.

I'll give it a shot. 

Oh really motherfucker? You know more than me, a man who is constantly drunk and posts on the internet? Just because you're a doctor? Well I hope your whole fucking family dies you son of a bitch. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

In all seriousness this anti-vaxxer movement is one of the most successful active measures operations because even well educated people are susceptible to fall for it.   Every mother on earth wants what’s best for her child and this influence operation preys on that vulnerability. 

It’s really unfortunate 

Jesus Christ, Hugo, not everything's the fucking Russians.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Jesus Christ, Hugo, not everything's the fucking Russians.

Maybe you should research this before you dismiss me.  

The Kremlin has been pushing on this issue hard since 2014.  While they may not have originated it, it is one of their big projects.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2015/06/antivaxxers-influencing-legislation/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2018/08/25/that-anti-vaccination-message-may-be-from-a-russian-bot-or-troll/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/articles/2018-08-23/russian-trolls-targeted-vaccine-debate-to-sow-division-researchers-say%3fcontext=amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/as-if-bots-werent-bad-enough-already-now-theyre-anti-vaccine/2018/08/28/a945efa0-aa2d-11e8-b1da-ff7faa680710_story.html

Many scholars stumbled into Russian online influence operations by noticing their presence in the anti-vaccination debate long before 2016.

33 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Vaxxers, flat earthers, and Hugo. Three kinds of bat shit crazy that we should educate our children about. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Sometimes I wonder if you’re a Russian bot, created to always tie things back to Russian active measures, thereby normalizing them.

Ooh I have a good one, is climate change denial a Russian campaign meant to warm the planet so their country isn’t so fucking cold? If they aren’t doing that one, they should. 

Hugo is right about some of the science disinformation, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that the Russian Government were behind the conspiracy that the US Govt/Military were the creators of HIV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Infektion

@Goredho I really feel for you, because even the delayed schedule is buying into a bunch of misinformation since it still leaves lots and lots of healthy kids at risk for things that could otherwise be prevented.

Edited by GSU&UT
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Sometimes I wonder if you’re a Russian bot, created to always tie things back to Russian active measures, thereby normalizing them.

Ooh I have a good one, is climate change denial a Russian campaign meant to warm the planet so their country isn’t so fucking cold? If they aren’t doing that one, they should. 

What the fuck are you talking about? You clearly have zero understanding of how the Russian disinformation campaign works. They take wedge issues (abortion, climate, vaccines, etc.) and they produce propaganda to target both sides of the discussion. They do it for basically every wedge issue you can think of.

Ohhhhh I have a good one, you’re a fucking dunce who has his head buried in the sand.

Inevitable that some parents will be clueless about preventable diseases because it’s been preventable for so long.   The risk seems like zero since NO ONE gets measles or whatever.  Until they do.   I feel for their kids who may suffer because of the ignorance and borderline recklessness of their parents.   And for those kids that go through this, they will learn from their parents mistakes.

• 2 months later...
On 8/17/2018 at 12:30 PM, cactusflinthead said:

Those who are involved in the outbreak have connections to Waxahachie and Midlothian, and it's possible more cases will occur because of how contagious measles is, the Texas Department of State Health Services said. 

I have a strong suspicion that none of those people have ever set foot in a Whole Foods.

Waxahachie, you say?

imgur

• Like 2
Just now, tjhooker said:

Refresh me on the player in Waxahachie.  I remember some in depth stuff from shaggy several yrs ago but have forgot much of it.  I remember him being fascinating. 

Nacho Urias, the one and only Wild Thing and Playboy of Waxahachie, Texas.

On 11/20/2018 at 12:10 PM, Foosters said:

I know it's been posted before, but you could really slap this guy on every thread in here. Carl Sagan in 1994:

Image result for carl sagan the future quote

Everyone should read that book. 

By the way, I know for a fact that there's an anti-vaxxer who posts here rather often who has yet to show up in this thread, because he negged me for calling someone out on it on the other site.

• Like 1

The only thing that might give me pause is having my children take a product that is brand new to the market.

Why?

Would you withhold a lifesaving drug from your child if they had cancer just because it was new to the market?

Because vaccinations are literally live saving medications for young children.

The majority of vaccines have been around for decades.

The newer ones - chicken pox, HPV - have been on the market 15-20 years.

And any new ones would go through the same rigorous clinical trials for efficacy and safety.

More children are harmed by choking on hot dogs or household accidents than vaccines.

Even putting your argument of hesitation because of some vague fear about new products reinforces the fiction about the safety of vaccines and emboldens those who are arguing junk science.
  • Like 3

On 11/20/2018 at 3:37 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Dude, you are one crazy sumbitch.  

1 hour ago, UTDD said:

The only thing that might give me pause is having my children take a product that is brand new to the market.

45 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Why?

Would you withhold a lifesaving drug from your child if they had cancer just because it was new to the market?

Because registration trials are insufficient to establish the safety profile of newly approved drugs. The list of drugs with post marketing or post authorization safety requirements is long. The reality is that we don't really know the safety profile of a medication until it has been on the market for some time.  I have studies in play where the drug has been on the market for 8 years before we will have a "definitive" safety assessment completed. 

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Because registration trials are insufficient to establish the safety profile of newly approved drugs. The list of drugs with post marketing or post authorization safety requirements is long. The reality is that we don't really know the safety profile of a medication until it has been on the market for some time.  I have studies in play where the drug has been on the market for 8 years before we will have a "definitive" safety assessment completed. 

That, plus the manufacturer will hide the adverse events until they can't hide them any more.  And then  they will fight Black Box and try to bury it so as not to harm sales.  Marketing and profit is King. 

On 11/20/2018 at 3:37 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Thank you Hugo

a08e5854-e29d-430d-9724-125fc4b91896_tex

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Everyone should read that book. 

By the way, I know for a fact that there's an anti-vaxxer who posts here rather often who has yet to show up in this thread, because he negged me for calling someone out on it on the other site.

Oh I know of a few on here as well. They haven't said shit about any of this though

I remember lining up in grade school for those shots. Scared the hell out of me. But know what? Toughened us up. Didn't feel the need to stare at the phone all day for guidance. Because it was just a dumb-ass phone, hanging on the wall with that wiggly cord you could stretch across the room. Hey! Peanuts! Gimme some!

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Why?

Because vaccinations are literally live saving medications for young children.

The majority of vaccines have been around for decades.

The newer ones - chicken pox, HPV - have been on the market 15-20 years.

And any new ones would go through the same rigorous clinical trials for efficacy and safety.

More children are harmed by choking on hot dogs or household accidents than vaccines.

Even putting your argument of hesitation because of some vague fear about new products reinforces the fiction about the safety of vaccines and emboldens those who are arguing junk science.

First of all, a cancer patient - depending on the medical facts/situation - most likely has a different time/risk factor versus a healthy child taking vaccines so the decision would be a very different set of variables and isn't a very meaningful comparison/argument.  Number two, it has been shown time and time again that "rigorous trials" on numerous medical products are often unable to provide a reliable safety profile without some time in the market.  Hot dogs and choking accidents are irrelevant as a comparison to the decision being considered with those specific facts/variables.  Same with slipping in bathtubs, getting hit by lightning, etc.  I don't worry about emboldening anyone else, it's my children and there are always alternative vaccines that have been on the market for years that are just fine that have a more proven track record.  If I am concerned with herd immunity in a neighborhood, I would just leave.

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Be more specific. What percentage are we talking about?

Now THAT would be a very difficult question to answer as very precise data isn't as easy to come as one might expect, especially on a macro level.  This is probably one way to get started but it would require some parsing of different databases I would think.

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Surveillance/AdverseDrugEffects/ucm082193.htm

This is also too old but one example of SAE rates in clinical trials, some other countries frankly are better at this (more strict protocols for safety) than the United States too.  If you look at the one graph with specifically vaccines it appears the expected SAE rate is very good for by expectation medical trials.  Whether you think a 3% rate or the expected norm of a 10% SAE rate being reasonable in that specific example is not for me to say of course.

http://www.appliedclinicaltrialsonline.com/sae-rates-clinical-trials

Just a quick final thought.  The main thing I am trying to say at the end is that let's say you have Vaccine A with a ten plus year track record and SAE rate/safety record in general you can identify specifically for that drug versus Vaccine B which is the hot new thing according to your Doctor A (also you don't know if that doctor is specifically connected to Company A or is literally just trying to flirt/sex up with Pharm Sales Rep A to push this thing so hard) but it has no established safety profile in the market, only clinical trials.  I take A absent information that A is now somehow bad/useless.  Most patients don't specifically question their doctors on medical drugs/information/products in general, and I think you should research anything you put into your body.  

Well thankfully I cannot remember any pharma companies pushing any new vaccines for diseases that already have vaccines.

Yes for new vaccines for diseases previously without vaccinations - HPV, chicken pox but not measles, whooping cough, rubella etc.

Unless you’re counting combo doses but those have been around ages too. Or a new delivery system like nasal administration but that’s not a necessity.

Pharma companies aren’t reinventing the wheel looking for a “better” MMR or polio vaccine. The ones that exist already work and there’s really no money in it.

But do you give your kids the flu shot every year? That one does “change” I guess.

Have there been any major vaccines that unexpectedly caused damage to people?   I know it’s occured with some drugs that people took over many months or years but I can’t recall any specific with vaccines which is usually only a few doses max.

I don’t understand why there is a discussion whether a child with cancer should get vaccinated. That’s a rare circumstance but it should definitely be discussed with the docs. I could see that during active treatment you could postpone the vaccine with minimal risk since you’re keeping the child away from sick people in the first place.