are there any anti-vaxxers here?

Gil Bang

• 2 weeks later...

NEJM article on the benefits of the HPV vaccine.

https://www.jwatch.org/na49429/2019/07/09/estimating-real-world-benefits-hpv-immunization

Prevalence of HPV 16 and 18 (the subtypes that most commonly cause cervical cancer) was reduced by 83% among girls aged 13 to 19 and 66% among women aged 20 to 24. Diagnosis of genital warts fell by 67% (girls aged 13–19), 54% (women aged 20–24), and 31% (women aged 25–29). CIN2+ was reduced by 51% (girls aged 13–19) and 31% (women aged 20–24). Reductions in HPV 31, 33, and 45 (for which cross-protection has been observed) were also seen, as were reductions in genital warts among boys and young men. These effects were pronounced in countries with high vaccine coverage among cohorts of multiple ages.

• 2 weeks later...

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I understand, but when something is marketed as a "supplement" but in reality is toxic, that's gotta be regulated.

shut up libtard, regulation is bad. EPA out front shoulda told ya. How are the fine folks at PGL International gonna make a quick buck save the world from autism with all of this needless regulation? 

Edited by Blotto

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure which thread to put this in, but since the topic of the original tweet debate between Dr. Gorski and Rep Stickland concerned vaccines I chose here:

It is well, I don't know how to put this...so I'll go with 'typical' Stickland. His district must be so so very proud. I'm sure DJ will be calling him to DC soon.

I think it may have started with this tweet:

But then escalated. Stickland eventually deleted some of his tweets I think (not sure since I don't do Twitter myself)

To Stickland calling the Dr a 'bully,' and read on from there...

The drama of hypocrisy, little big man syndrome, and ad hominem attack all rolled into one big tweet thread are example numero uno of what this country is all about when it comes to our votes and who we elect as our representatives. Congrats District 92! You win the Dummy Games!

• 1 month later...

Those opposed to vaccines will always be among us, but they have gone underground as of late. The comments following the article are sad. Wakefield has a lot of admirers.

Link to article: https://www.newsweek.com/vaxxed-2-tickets-anti-vaccine-documentary-sequel-secret-blocked-1468899

Excerpt:

Vaxxed 2 Tickets: Anti-Vaccine Documentary Sequel to Secretly Screen in 19 States to Try and Avoid Being Blocked

Anti-vaccination campaigners are putting on secret screenings of a movie which peddles unfounded conspiracy theories about the MMR jab.

Vaxxed II: The People's Truth is due to premiere on November 6 in 30 theaters across 19 states in the U.S.—California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Wisconsin and Washington—according to the site's official website.

When trying to buy tickets on the film's website for a certain location, potential viewers are told they are "reserving a ticket to a secret screening" and theater details will be emailed to them on the night of the showing.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:28 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I'm not sure which thread to put this in, but since the topic of the original tweet debate between Dr. Gorski and Rep Stickland concerned vaccines I chose here:

It is well, I don't know how to put this...so I'll go with 'typical' Stickland. His district must be so so very proud. I'm sure DJ will be calling him to DC soon.

I think it may have started with this tweet:

Texas has a state rep that uses 6th humor by calling the other guy gay? One could only imagine what he says in private or the funny jokes in his head. 

while there are def nutcases at the federal level, the real problems are in the state legislature or local races. They may only need to con hundreds of people to get them on the ballot. 

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Texas has a state rep that uses 6th humor by calling the other guy gay? One could only imagine what he says in private or the funny jokes in his head. 

while there are def nutcases at the federal level, the real problems are in the state legislature or local races. They may only need to con hundreds of people to get them on the ballot. 

As you have pointed out (Impeachment thread), there will no longer be straight ticket voting in Texas. I would like to think it may alleviate some of the issues such as that, but this is Texas, and an affinity for carpetbaggers and nutcases seems to be some voter's preference.

• 1 month later...

Really bad situation in American Samoa regarding Measles.  Massive outbreak there in the last few weeks multiple children died as a result and the government there is implementing vaccinations for all and  has finally put their foot down on the anti-vaxxers literally telling them to shut the fuck up and stop posting on social media....

For the record, I agree with the actions, fully understanding that the Samoan Govt just violated the anti-vaxxers right to free speech (with the understanding that free speech cant incite harm- i.e. yelling "FIRE" in a packed theater), so maybe someone in govt is finally taking the stand that the anti-vaxxers are causing physical harm by spreading their hysterical lies.

70 fucking kids are dead, almost all of them children, because the islanders bought into the anti-vaxx voodoo

and yet the head anti-vaxx clown was still posting about "cleaning up the mess and enjoy the killing spree" afterwards, even though he knows that 70 people out of a population of only 200k have just died from a disease because these kids were all un-vaccinated.  

Thats a fucking killing spree you braindead idiot.      The stats are pretty fucking clear here. 

In your country,  of only 200k  you had 70 people die in a year from Measles.  3.5 people out of every 10,000 are now dead.

vs a possible reaction of a one in a million bad reaction to the vaccine.   1 in 1,000,000 chance of dying from a bad reaction vs 3.5 in 10,000 chance of dying from the disease.

https://www.good.is/promo-homepage/the-measles-outbreak-in-samoa-is-so-an-anti-vaxxer-was-arrested-for-incitement-against-the-government

• Like 2

Thank you for posting this. I had been following it peripherally but got distracted and was not aware the epidemic had grown so quickly. Last year I followed the US outbreak and one thing was made evident. It was the conditions and health care in this country that kept US children from dying even as the cases grew to surpass numbers not seen in over twenty years. The cost of that health care was reactive as opposed to proactive and strained local and state resources. Funny how on 'conservative' forums, people will rail about Americans being obese or not taking care of themselves and how it adds to the public's health care costs but as soon as you mention vaccines, they disappear. Or they cite statistics from VAERS, which is not and never has been a source to prove outcomes. It is merely a system of reporting (by anyone) that can show trends so researchers can examine and study in case there is a concern. Very frustrating how social media has been abused by the anti vax crowd. I've heard they have taken a page from abortion protesters and are now accosting people outside of clinics.

On 12/13/2019 at 5:58 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Makes you want to laugh and cry at the same time. The comments below the tweets are on point. My favorite: "Even when given the fact that they are in the wrong room, they still insist on ignoring the evidence. Very on brand."

Such are the lives of faith people.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fucking....POTATOES.  In his socks?  On what fucking planet can anyone think that will cure someone of the fucking flu?  Jesus tapdancing Christ, these people are the functional equivalent of denying Western medicine, what you REALLY need to do is sacrifice a goat to the volcano god.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

People are the worst, example 4,790,341,286

that sounds like advice you'd hear on Game of Thrones from Maester Qyburn.

that article has a UT tie.

Facebook groups are a hotbed of vaccine misinformation and content, said Kolina Koltai, a researcher at the University of Texas at Austin, who has studied the social media behavior of the anti-vaccination movement since 2015. Koltai said she’s seen similar posts in which women have reported that their children were sick with measles or cancer and received medically questionable advice.

“These communities have become a haven or resource for parents and for women to connect with others and ask for help,” Koltai said.

One of the biggest purposes of these groups is as a main information exchange hub. And when these groups are recommending potentially medically unsound advice, it can have a severely negative consequence.

“This is what we warn about,” Koltai said.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 1

Seems that a charge of practicing medicine without a license, and a manslaughter charge based on that, may be merited against the people who ADVISED (that's medical advice, people) a woman NOT to follow the orders of a Dr., but to go with fucking oils and potatoes.

It's a viable criminal charge.  These folks killed a kid.

9 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

that sounds like advice you'd hear on Game of Thrones from Maester Qyburn.

that article has a UT tie.

I would take her advice over someone handing out root crops and oils- that's how you make french fries not cure illnesses. It's pretty sad, though. I was in high school when I had my first go round with pneumonia after the flu. It was pretty bad. I'm so glad there is a vaccine now.

Isn't Austin also home to that Wakefield guy and the other anti-vax guy that's always raising a noisy fuss, Bigtree?

SIAP, but the lack of activity on this thread despite a massive outbreak in so many preventable issues leads me to ask...a decent portion of religious zealots aside (and let's be honest, they were gonna always find a way to eradicate themselves from the Earth to join their god be it anti-vaccine, anti-western medicine, anti-science, anti-logic, etc)....most of the anti-vaxxers seem to have a severe vendiagram overlap with Vegans.  But the weird thing is these people can't help but tell you that they are Vegans, and why they are Vegans, and why you should be a vegan too.  But they remain suspiciously quiet on identifying themselves as anti-vaxxers, and certainly never get into the attempt to convert you.  Or at least that's been my experience in Austin.  I am surrounded at work, home, play by Vegans.  Particularly where we live in South Austin.  And I know half, if not more, of those same people are anti-vaxxers.  But yet they advocate for the one thing I am not interested in, joining them in veganism.  But yet, the one thing I'd love for them to advertise so I could get the hell away from them is their anti-vaxx platform.  

Their eyes are close together, same as mine...suggesting let's eat meat.  But the proximity of their eyes to their noses indicates some other level of intelligence.  I dunno

43 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fucking....POTATOES.  In his socks?  On what fucking planet can anyone think that will cure someone of the fucking flu?  Jesus tapdancing Christ, these people are the functional equivalent of denying Western medicine, what you REALLY need to do is sacrifice a goat to the volcano god.

7 years ago my DIL was told by an “alternative medicine” person that the egg-size lump on her boob was just a clogged milk duct, and just do a regimen of herbs, oils, and aromatherapy. Even after all her friends did a group intervention with her when the lump had been suppurating for a few weeks, she was still reluctant to go to a real oncologist. When she finally did go, it was Stage IV.... and the radical mastectomy, radiation, & chemo were too late.

She really regretted being stubborn, and my two grandsons have been growing up without a mother. 

Just now, Armybrat said:

7 years ago my DIL was told by an “alternative medicine” person that the egg-size lump on her boob was just a clogged milk duct, and just do a regimen of herbs, oils, and aromatherapy. Even after all her friends did a group intervention with her when the lump had been suppurating for a few weeks, she was still reluctant to go to a real oncologist. When she finally did go, it was Stage IV.... and the radical mastectomy, radiation, & chemo were too late.

She really regretted being stubborn, and my two grandsons have been growing up without a mother. 

Goddamn that story pisses me off every time you remind us.  So damned stupid.

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I have a FB friend who is on her 3rd round with breast cancer.  She "cured" the first two with alternative medicine.  So many people suggested she was playing with fire, but she was damned sure that her herbal therapies worked.  This time, it appears she is too late for any curative approach.

I remember when that happened and think of your family often when I see examples of self-inflicted quackery. Just a real shame and I’m sorry you had to experience such an awful thing. Hopefully your grandkids don’t grow up to resent their mother.

42 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

What healing powers come from a potato ?

I believe they cure heel spuds spurs if you put them in your socks so that after you have avoided the draft you can be president.

Seriously, I think some of the alt-med people believe they reduce the need for antibiotics, sort of an herbal antibiotic if you will. Note: I don't follow alt-med, I am alive thanks to antibiotics.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Clarification

Potatoes have the ability to turn into batteries, or so I was made to believe by some kid at a science fair. They emanate an energy that can be used to make a lightbulb faintly glow. Ergo, they are a magical tuber that if put into a tube (tube, get it?) sock that will shock the shit outta whatever ails ya.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Potatoes have the ability to turn into batteries, or so I was made to believe by some kid at a science fair. They emanate an energy that can be used to make a lightbulb faintly glow. Ergo, they are a magical tuber that if put into a tube (tube, get it?) sock that will shock the shit outta whatever ails ya.

Just about any fruit or vegetable can be a battery.  (Back to the topic at hand.)

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just about any fruit or vegetable can be a battery.  (Back to the topic at hand.)

PO-TA-TO

It's Magic AND Science! Vaccines are only a deep state conspiracy to turn our children into zombies. /s

Pass me some of that fluoridated water.

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

What healing powers come from a potato ?

I think potatoes (and onions I'm sure of) are naturally resistant to bacterial infections (not viral infections, like the flu). This leads some to think potatoes and onions are some sort of cure all.

So, if you are out in the wilderness, with absolutely no other alternative (neosporin, anitbiotics, soap and water, some quantum of common sense, etc) and get a cut, maybe rubbing a potato on the cut might infinitesimally  reduce the chance of infection. Although even that is doubtful, because the bacteria that would infect a fucking potato would probably have nothing to do with a human, and vice versa.

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I've never heard this. I just don't understand why people believe that we still live in the 1800s

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Probably on the same planet where my coworker who says that "the germ theory of medicine" is a sham perpetrated by the AMA, Western medicine is totally ineffective, and all ailments are caused by "sublaxations" which means that chiropractors are the only answer to what ails you lives.  As an aside I'll give you three guesses as to what her husband does for a living and the first two don't count.