San Diego (Del Mar) in September

you're in luck.  the water is warm as hell right now, high 70s warm.  you can play in the beach water all day, considering normally you'd last 5-10 mins without a wetsuit before your nuts shrivel up to your throat.

the beach towns north of la jolla are all cool as shit, from del mar, solana beach, encinitas, cardiff, leucadia, up to carslbad.  that's my dream to retire in encinitas.

beach parking in del mar is a bitch.  not as bad in other cities north.  but any beach from del mar up to moonlight beach will be awesome.

depending on how much time you have.

- take a kayak cave tour out of la jolla.

- hike torrey pines state park.  it can be hot but wear your trunks and jump in the ocean after the hike.

- the horse races are done after labor day but go to "UCINA enoteca Del Mar" on a friday happy hour.  incredible eye candy.  saw the most beautiful woman i've ever seen.  it's hella amazing during horse racing season.  

- there are a good many good restaurants all along the 101 through those beach towns.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 8:45 AM, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Getting out of Dallas for a long weekend in San Diego (Del Mar area) next month to go to a music festival. Most of my time time will be at the festival but what are some good beaches, bars, restaurants, night life in the Del Mar area?

Breakfast at the brockton villa overlooking the ocean is always good. If you want an insane dinner experience Addison restaurant at the grand Del mar hotel is a Michelin star rated place and he beat meal I’ve ever had. That hotel is also the nicest hoteL I’ve ever stayed in.  Great place. Good golf course on property too. 

Right across Via de la Valle from fairgrounds is the Fish Market with excellent seafood, and Red Tracton’s with good stakes. W 1/4 mile is Pamplemoose Grill which is fabulous.

In old Del Mar I like Jakes. Right on the water. Bully’s is good for burgers. That’s in town.

Just across Jimmy Durante from the fairgrounds is Viewpoint Brewery. Good food and a nice spot.

Where are you staying?

I did KAABOO in '16 all weekend, and '17 for Tom Petty day only (ten days or so before he died).

I'm happy to answer any questions about the event.  Not going this year although I hate to miss Foo.  Heading to Italy for a couple of weeks instead. 

5 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Right across Via de la Valle from fairgrounds is the Fish Market with excellent seafood, and Red Tracton’s with good stakes. W 1/4 mile is Pamplemoose Grill which is fabulous.

In old Del Mar I like Jakes. Right on the water. Bully’s is good for burgers. That’s in town.

Just across Jimmy Durante from the fairgrounds is Viewpoint Brewery. Good food and a nice spot.

Where are you staying?

I'm staying at The Hilton Del Mar on Jimmy Durante.

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I did KAABOO in '16 all weekend, and '17 for Tom Petty day only (ten days or so before he died).

I'm happy to answer any questions about the event.  Not going this year although I hate to miss Foo.  Heading to Italy for a couple of weeks instead. 

I don't have any pressing questions right now but will listen to any advise you're willing to give. I was thinking about taking a small backpack in. Is that allowed?

21 minutes ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

I'm staying at The Hilton Del Mar on Jimmy Durante.

That hotel is RIGHT ACROSS THE FUCKNG STREET from the venue.  A short walk from Tracton's, Fish Market, Pamplemouse, and Brig.  And the brewery too.   And there's an AM/PM across the street for all beer, coffee, and other convenience store needs.  And a Denny's right behind you for breakfast. Or late drunken dinner after the show.   Go W on Via and you hit the beach before  you know it, and like somebody said, the Pacific is really warm these days.  

There's a sweet mall (Flower Hill Mall) 1/4 mile or so east.  Great traditional jewish deli "Milton's" there.  Also a movie theater, etc. Other side of the street has a nice supermarket, restaurants, and Mikey D's.   You don't need a car once you get to the hotel. You've got everything you need within a short walk.  

24 minutes ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

I don't have any pressing questions right now but will listen to any advise you're willing to give. I was thinking about taking a small backpack in. Is that allowed?

Shit, I think so, but not sure.  There are several places to refill a water bottle, and tons of giveaways.  The first year we went, there were HUGE tents catering to the womenfolk.  Massages, facials, even fucking botox.  That was toned down last year.  Still a bit of that stuff (oxygen bars and similar bullshit) but no full on spa shit.  The food and drink is somewhat reasonable, but if I were across the street, I'd probably go over between acts I want to see to suck down a few brews and make a sandwich. 

Just choose your acts wisely, because there's only so much ground you can cover.  If you want to see a headliner, stake out your ground an hour or two early.  Same for lesser stages.  I sat through "Live" (total dogshit band) just to have a spot to see the next act.   Last year we went to see Jackson Brown, and some shitty rap act  was so loud we couldn't even really hear him, and he was PISSED.  Shit, I saw Lenny Kravitz on the main stage before Aerosmith. I wasn't much of a Kravitz fan...until then.  Saw Alanis.  She was awesome.  Take in an act that you don't think you'd like.  You'll probably like them. 

Overall they do a good job there.  If you get hot, go to the comedy club. It has A/C.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Shit, I think so, but not sure.  There are several places to refill a water bottle, and tons of giveaways.  The first year we went, there were HUGE tents catering to the womenfolk.  Massages, facials, even fucking botox.  That was toned down last year.  Still a bit of that stuff (oxygen bars and similar bullshit) but no full on spa shit.  The food and drink is somewhat reasonable, but if I were across the street, I'd probably go over between acts I want to see to suck down a few brews and make a sandwich. 

Just choose your acts wisely, because there's only so much ground you can cover.  If you want to see a headliner, stake out your ground an hour or two early.  Same for lesser stages.  I sat through "Live" (total dogshit band) just to have a spot to see the next act.   Last year we went to see Jackson Brown, and some shitty rap act  was so loud we couldn't even really hear him, and he was PISSED.  Shit, I saw Lenny Kravitz on the main stage before Aerosmith. I wasn't much of a Kravitz fan...until then.  Saw Alanis.  She was awesome.  Take in an act that you don't think you'd like.  You'll probably like them. 

Overall they do a good job there.  If you get hot, go to the comedy club. It has A/C.  

Good stuff. Thanks!

I'm really not concerned about getting hot as I am possibly getting cold during the evening. Did you do shorts and t-shirts the whole time? I usually wear tennis shoes to concerts and sporting events because you never know what the restroom situation is going to be like. I'd love to wear sandals if I can get away with it there...

one "maybe" funny note.  The festival is at the same facility as the Del Mar (where the turf meets the surf) horse races. 

Saw Buffett.  He said something like "I've been coming here to this horsetrack for 40 years or so, and I always dreamed about leaving here with a whole bunch of money...well, tonight's the night"

21 minutes ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Good stuff. Thanks!

I'm really not concerned about getting hot as I am possibly getting cold during the evening. Did you do shorts and t-shirts the whole time? I usually wear tennis shoes to concerts and sporting events because you never know what the restroom situation is going to be like. I'd love to wear sandals if I can get away with it there...

Shorts and sandals for sure.  Pissers are pretty nice.  Are you a chick? 

The beach "can" get cool at night, but the crowd has so much body heat, I'd go minimalist.  And it's been a hot fucking summer here.  Shit hits the fan, you buy a 20 dollar sweatshirt.  

You'll be fine. 

Edited by Gil Bang

26 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Shorts and sandals for sure.  Pissers are pretty nice.  Are you a chick?

Ha! No, I'm a Marine who can piss or shit anywhere. That said, I don't like my feet getting wet from other nasty motherfuckers' urine. I've been in many restrooms at events like this (even last night) where I was damn happy I wore sneakers. 

If that makes me any less of a man, then so be it. ☺️

Edited by Greg Davis Apologist

no offense intended.  Lots of clean pissers.  Del Mar's a snootie town.  Wear sandals.  

I'm not a fan of standing in piss either.  Never been an issue.  This is the venue for the county fair. There are tons of exhibit halls, and they all have a pisser in them. 

Unless you have a specific "fetish" of some sort, I've blown my load here.  If you tell me you want to paddleboard or jetski or eat thai food or somesuch, I'll have something for you.  Otherwise, I'm out. 

1 more thing.  If you're into Polo, we've got that too. 

36 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Unless you have a specific "fetish" of some sort, I've blown my load here.  If you tell me you want to paddleboard or jetski or eat thai food or somesuch, I'll have something for you.  Otherwise, I'm out. 

1 more thing.  If you're into Polo, we've got that too. 

Other than the festival, I really just want to chill at the beach. I'm flying in really early on Friday and not leaving until late afternoon on Monday. What is the best one close to where I'll be?

7 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Where are you staying?

"Stakes".  Fucking bloody mary brunch today.  Fuck me. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Other than the festival, I really just want to chill at the beach. I'm flying in really early on Friday and not leaving until late afternoon on Monday. What is the best one close to where I'll be?

20th and 25th Street in Del Mar are great spots to hit the beach.  25th has lifeguard tower with bathrooms.

Crash and Gil hit all the high points.  Only thing else I’ll add is running up to Leucadia to Fish 101...freshest fish in town as the owners know damn near all the boat captains.  They’ve been killing the blue fin tuna lately and with warm waters, mahi are showing up locally. Oh...and go buy a bunch of T-shirts, hats, and stuff from my buddy J.P. at Surfy Surfy.  Good dude.

PS - Stone Delicious IPA on tap is aptly named.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

@Greg Davis Apologist how about a post-trip review of the city and the show?

I had a blast, man. I'm going back next year and will probably stay at the same hotel. I thought everything was first class and even wrote a letter to the manager telling her about it. Staying within walking distance from the event was smart.

I could write so much but I'll try to keep it short. 

KAABOO is really special in that it has a little bit of something for everyone. It was like an upscale fair. Music, comedy, art, instructional cooking expos, etc. I noticed that you didn't see many kids (younger than 21) around. Perhaps it was too expensive or maybe it was the acts I was there for were directed at an older crowd. I read a review earlier this week that said the average attendee's age was 37 (I'm 40).

As far as the big names go, it was my first time seeing Foo Fighters and they absolutely killed it Friday night. Other name bands on Friday included Everclear, Nelly, and Incubus.

Saturday, I took in Stone Temple Pilots (I just saw them in Dallas in May) and Billy Idol (he was old but still rocked his ass off) before skipping out on Imagine Dragons and heading back to the hotel early. I ate, drank and watched a little football at the bar before heading to a local beach where I took some mushrooms and jumped in the water. It was a beautiful night. I ended up walking around Del Mar pretty late and there wasn't a soul around. I was pretty fucked up but I was taken aback by how eerily peaceful it was. I was probably lucky a cop didn't roll by. That is a nice ass town and those people are definitely in a higher tax bracket than me. 

Sunday was a little difficult to rally but I did and saw All American Rejects (they were OK), Alice in Chains (they were badass) and Robert Plant and his band. It goes without saying, that he's a legend and that band behind him was awesome. The first real concert I ever saw was Page and Plant twenty years ago in Pensacola so it was really cool to see him again. Not that there was really a question, but Katy Perry was performing at the same time and the people at the hotel who chose her over Plant said she sucked. 

It's really impossible to see and do everything there, but I basically did whatever I wanted and don't regret anything. I would advise getting a BASK pass to the pool/beach area. It was only $100 for all three days and totally worth it. 

KAABOO will be venturing out to Arlington in and around Jerry World in May and I already have my hotel room reserved without even knowing the lineup.

Just a great all around experience. 

Outstanding.   As I wrote upthread, I passed on the fest this year because of our Italy vacation.  I will make at least one day next year guaranteed.  

It was very different between 2 years ago and last year.  2 years ago one of the exhibit halls was taken by day spas and plastic surgeons.  Women were getting botox, facials, fillers, fake tit consultations, and massages.  

Last year that was cut way back.   

You are correct about "something for everybody" there. 

AC about 12-15 years ago. I just like historic places. Stayed at The Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood a few years ago. Old, a little musty, but really enjoyable because of the history, built as a WPA project. Hand carved banisters on the stair cases.   Same with Hotel del Coronado. I think it's beautiful, but I can see how someone might want something more modern. 

• 8 months later...

En Fuego and Fidel's are both super-casual. Food is good, not great.  

Poseidon is good, but I prefer Jakes, which is also on the sand.    Brigantine is good for happy hour and seafood.  

Unfortunately, the County  Fair is going on until 7/4, so Del Mar will be crowded as fuck.  It would be a much better experience without the fair.

Your hotel is tits.  There are plenty of good breakfast spots within a short walk. 

Edited by Gil Bang

We’ve stayed in that same hotel and agree that’s a great spot in general. We’ve liked Jake’s for dinner there within walking distance of the hotel. Watch the sun go down and then later enjoy the view as they turn on a flood light pointed towards the ocean.

52b587b2ba2fd12627d189b58b067eb2.jpg

389ea619bd67418b9c39300fe2639462.jpg

64db88c79d95d40c112383a9049c064e.jpg

48 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

the correct hotel is the Grand Del Mar.  that place is unreal.  Addison restaurant there is probably the best meal I have ever had. 

Yeah, but we are discussing shit that's actually IN Del Mar, not places that are a 20 minute drive away.