RIP ARETHA

Steamboat1874

42 minutes ago, RD3 said:

She has a line in Blues Brothers that I've always loved.

Husband: Now don't get riled, Sugar.

Aretha: Don't you "don't get riled, Sugar" me!!!

The way she delivered it was awesome.

That entire scene was excellent.

Not too much makes me piss my pants now, but pancreatic cancer is one of them.  It's like as bad as cancer is in general, pancreatic is cancer's evil uncle.  It's evolved to be highly undetectable before it's too late, one of the main reasons it's by far the #1 killer cancer (terms of % of deaths) of anything.  It's like evil's evil, it is really hard to discover, and when someone gets it, it's also one of the fastest growing.  It like plays hide and seek then when found, goes double-speed to kill you.  There's nothing scarier to me.

RIP to Aretha.  Double fuck pancreatic cancer.

I dunno, I think it might be scarier to be a kidnapped tourist in a faraway land where they partially amputate some of your limbs, rip out an eyeball, rape with a electric prod, sandpaper your skin and then pour on alcohol, sew you and your companions together mouth to butt into the human centipede, then smother in fire ants and leave you to slowly await the days later relief of death.  JMO.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

I dunno, I think it might be scarier to be a kidnapped tourist in a faraway land where they partially amputate some of your limbs, rip out an eyeball, rape with a electric prod, sandpaper your skin and then pour on alcohol, sew you and your companions together mouth to butt into the human centipede, then smother in fire ants and leave you to slowly await the days later relief of death.  JMO.

Anybody else read this with Billy Crystal's voice in your head?

"I hate when that happens"

40039517?region=US&size=600x400

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

I dunno, I think it might be scarier to be a kidnapped tourist in a faraway land where they partially amputate some of your limbs, rip out an eyeball, rape with a electric prod, sandpaper your skin and then pour on alcohol, sew you and your companions together mouth to buttinto the human centipede, then smother in fire ants and leave you to slowly await the days later relief of death.  JMO.

Go on...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-singers-of-all-time-147019/aretha-franklin-6-227696/

When you watch her work, you can see why Aretha is who she is. When we did the song “Don’t Waste Your Time” on my album Mary, she just went in there and ate that record like Pac-Man. She could be doing a church vocal run, and it would turn into some jazz-space thing, something I never encountered before. You’d say, “Where did that come from? Where did she find that note?”

It’s beautiful to see, because it helps people with a lack of confidence in their ability, like myself. I look at her and think, “I need a piece of that. Whatever that is.” —Mary J. Blige

RIP to an American icon.  Since 1965, my all time favorite female singer in any genre.

22 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Well, there is that. 

On 8/16/2018 at 1:39 PM, phdhorn said:

Not too much makes me piss my pants now, but pancreatic cancer is one of them.  It's like as bad as cancer is in general, pancreatic is cancer's evil uncle.  It's evolved to be highly undetectable before it's too late, one of the main reasons it's by far the #1 killer cancer (terms of % of deaths) of anything.  It's like evil's evil, it is really hard to discover, and when someone gets it, it's also one of the fastest growing.  It like plays hide and seek then when found, goes double-speed to kill you.  There's nothing scarier to me.

RIP to Aretha.  Double fuck pancreatic cancer.

The guy that officiated my wedding was driving back from an Astros game, was in a car accident where his car flipped on the highway, and had significant back trauma. Had MRI on back, found some spots that they never would have found if not for the car wreck, and nipped pancreatic cancer in the bud. And I think he’s like in the 4% that last beyond 5 years. It sucks. Has taken down my best friend’s dad and is about to kill the wife of a friend. 

RIP Queen of Soul.