¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

Looks like a Broad Banded Water Snake. 

Exactly what it is. Caught one and kept it as a pet out in the dude cave about ten years ago. Used to drop about 12 store-bought goldfish into the water portion of his terrarium, and watch him work. He’d start chasing/herding them into a circle race around and around, and then literally turn, do an about face, open his mouth, use the momentum to pick and choose, and swallow the fuckers whole. Cool snake, I’ll see if I can find some pics.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Flipped a board just outside of Austin and found 2 Coachwhips and one Western Diamondback.  The buzz worm tagged one of the coachwhips and he took of.  I can't find anything definitive on whether their venom affects Coachwhips.  I didn't bother getting nice shots of the whips as they were pretty bland in color. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I wonder why they were hanging out.  He looks big mad in that last one.

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

You have a real knack for finding sneks man. "Hey look, some plywood. Viola! 3 sneks!"

Maybe.  But this particular spot was given to me by a hardcore herper.  However, I have checked it a few times in the last two years and nothing...until today.  And even then, this was the only board of about 10 that produced.

Really all I do is go to a particular snakes habitat and look for plywood or especially tin (so abandoned farms).  There are guys that are way better at it then me, perhaps mostly because they put the time into it to really find this places with artificial cover, or they lay it out themselves and have the patience to wait a year or two for a snake to move in.

Swayze, your balls are bigger than most of ours.

Well, I guess that is something to be proud of.

Don't know about his balls, but his lens for damn sure is....

First shot was phone. Next couple were 24-105mm. I was about 4 away. Last shot was 500mm also from 4 ft and then cropped. I think my dad has a shot of me laying on the ground getting the shot. I’ll see if he does.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I read that Coachwhips will eat rattlesnakes on occasion, but no way were those two eating this fella.

Coachwhips are some fucking fast snakes.  We go out to Bracken each summer and watch them feast on the feeble bats that go up, and come down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

Think it’s time to check out Katy Prairie again?

So, the one flip spot didn't produce shit for me last week when I went out there with my dad.  But road cruising, yeah, I think so.  But it is still kind of cool at night.  Day time might work.  I am sure there are a bunch of rough green snakes in trees at night.

Oldest boy and his wife are at the farm prior to leaving for summer jobs.  He encountered a three foot Crotalus in the wood pile today.  Did not end well for said serpent.  Will not tolerate vipersnwithin a hundred feet of house where grandkids cavort. 

On 3/23/2021 at 3:40 PM, immortal13 said:

Very much the case, and with the striking it made me wonder if it was a venomous snake

Its round pupils (when I zoomed way in on the photo) are a good indicator that it's not a copperhead.

• Hook 'Em 1

There's only four venomous snakes in Texas (not counting rattler varieties).

Copperhead

Coral

Cottonmouth

Rattler.

The cottonmouth looks a lot like several varieties of water snake, but the other three are pretty easily identified and not confused with non-venomous.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I had a run in with a copperhead in the tack room while picking up a saddle, so that hits close to home.

My dad was in the horse barn getting the horses saddled up.  Had a guy there looking to buy one of them or some such.  My dad described him as a really tough dude.  Had a rattlesnake come out from under the saddle and slither down the horse's leg.  Tough dude didn't hesitate, walked over to it, and stomped it to death.  Dad had some boots made out of the big bastard.  Unfortunately, his feet were smaller than mine. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Copperhead

Coral

Cottonmouth

Rattler.

The cottonmouth looks a lot like several varieties of water snake, but the other three are pretty easily identified and not confused with non-venomous.

Cottonmouth will run after you, tho.

• Hook 'Em 1

Copperhead
Coral
Cottonmouth
Rattler.

I think that covers all the kinds of venomous snakes in America, actually.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

What’s Florida got?

They have, and had, exotic import warehouses. Remember a thing back around ‘95 that went by the name Andrew? Well it tore up a bunch of shit, and made things worse. Not just pythons and iguanas, either. 

Now there aren’t massive populations of shit that are exploding like the pythons we hear about, but they are there. Some in small numbers, some a little more. Some may have died off, but not all.

Not sure if I can go back and find the exact article on the hurricane impact, but there were some species in smaller numbers even before that.

• Hook 'Em 1

My neighbor sent this to me today. I live in total suburbia not far from Rim and La Canterra. We do have a greenbelt and active rock quarry across the street so snakes and not uncommon or skunks but never a coral in the 10 years I've lived here. A big fucker too. No more wandering out back barefoot to pee and gotta watch the little doggo.  Did the big freeze kill off a lot of food for corals?  Frogs, lizards etc.  I know the birds are going through feed like crazy.

IMG_20210405_170839.jpg

Edited by midtown

On 3/29/2021 at 8:40 PM, thunderlounge said:

They have, and had, exotic import warehouses. Remember a thing back around ‘95 that went by the name Andrew? Well it tore up a bunch of shit, and made things worse. Not just pythons and iguanas, either. 

Now there aren’t massive populations of shit that are exploding like the pythons we hear about, but they are there. Some in small numbers, some a little more. Some may have died off, but not all.

Not sure if I can go back and find the exact article on the hurricane impact, but there were some species in smaller numbers even before that.

Such as what?