¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

I'm over snakes.  Our farm is overrun with rattlers, and I will kill them on sight.  It's just a matter of time before one of us gets nicked. Last Saturday, I went to turn on the water and one of the lil fokkers was coiled up in the meter box.  First time I've ever killed one with a water turnoff key.  If it had not been unseasonably cold, probably would have bitten me.  

We put out some sort of granule that smells like cloves all around our barn and trailers. Anyone else used it before? It allegedly keeps snakes away. Time will tell if it is effective but I ran into the neighbor while driving fence lines and he swore by it. We are in a heavy snek area.

I'm over snakes.  Our farm is overrun with rattlers, and I will kill them on sight.  It's just a matter of time before one of us gets nicked. Last Saturday, I went to turn on the water and one of the lil fokkers was coiled up in the meter box.  First time I've ever killed one with a water turnoff key.  If it had not been unseasonably cold, probably would have bitten me.  

Get a cat. Or import some coach whips and other rattle-eaters. We’re lucky(?) enough to be damn near overrun by them. Those bastards are like lost puppies. Last summer, my mother would come out and find one on her porch rocker every morning. They’d relocate him, and he’d find his way back in a day or two. A stone cold killer tomcat took up residence towards the end of the summer and they haven’t seen a snek since.

Second the cat idea. Parents live in the deep woods East TX on a lake and we used to see a ton of moccasins almost daily in the spring/summer. They got 2 cats for the outside and have barely seen a snek the past 2-3 years. 

Edited by BayouBill

3 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

We put out some sort of granule that smells like cloves all around our barn and trailers. Anyone else used it before? It allegedly keeps snakes away. Time will tell if it is effective but I ran into the neighbor while driving fence lines and he swore by it. We are in a heavy snek area.

The product Snake-Away has mixed reviews, but I put it out in the spring in the flower beds and around a creek in the back yard.  Havent seen snek since I started two years ago, maybe luck, maybe not.

I get it on Amazon in the bulk pack, my local hardware store thinks 150% margins on it is fair. 

4 minutes ago, markstanco said:

The product Snake-Away has mixed reviews, but I put it out in the spring in the flower beds and around a creek in the back yard.  Havent seen snek since I started two years ago, maybe luck, maybe not.

I get it on Amazon in the bulk pack, my local hardware store thinks 150% margins on it is fair. 

* Snek-Away

• Like 2

On 4/12/2018 at 7:35 PM, bmbmd said:

Sounds like it is time to move back to the city

1524064389100.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

"While conducting a 1-173 Infantry training exercise, a southern black racer snake slid across the barrel of junior U.S. Army National Guard sniper Pfc. William Snyder's rifle. The exercise was performed at Eglin Air Force Base on April 7, according to the Alabama National Guard."

On 4/23/2018 at 6:09 AM, DocZaius said:

Was about three feet away from a ~2 foot long coral snek this weekend at the Tahna Keeta scout reservation here in South Florida.  Too busy wiping the poop out of my pants to get a picture.

Why the fuck would you be scared of a coral snake? You'd have to pass out on top of it and have it gnaw on you for 5 minutes before you'd be in trouble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

Why the fuck would you be scared of a coral snake? You'd have to pass out on top of it and have it gnaw on you for 5 minutes before you'd be in trouble.

I was not aware of that.  Alls I know is that they'll kill a fellow.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Officials-seeking-more-information-about-cobra-found-in-College-Station-481135051.html

Officials seeking more information about cobra found in College Station

The following is a news release from the city of College Station:

On Friday around 4:39 p.m., Animal Control responded to the area of Forest Dr and University Dr E for a report of a snake that had behaved aggressively. On arrival the snake was identified as a young albino monocled cobra, twelve inches in length. The snake was removed and Animal Control is attempting to locate the owner to ensure they are in good health. Please be mindful of the safety of your pets in this area and remember to keep your dogs on leash.

Animal Control is asking that if anyone has information regarding ownership of the snake to please contact the College Station Police Department at 979-764-3600.

The ownership of venomous snakes is prohibited by College Station City Ordinance Sec 6-7 as follows: “Class Reptilia. Family Elapidea (coral snakes, cobras, and mambas).”

A woman emailed KBTX Friday evening and said she found the snake on her back patio.

snake81.jpg