¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

On 10/18/2019 at 6:21 PM, bmbmd said:

That's our old family farmstead near Graham.  We have been overrun the last few years.  These guys had crawled in to the rat trap next to the barn.  

You've been overrun by sneks, and you still need rat traps? Can't even find their own spot to eat, they just crawl into the trap to wait. Those sneks are lazy as hell.

On 10/15/2019 at 3:41 PM, Homesickhorn said:

I found one in my back yard that I kept as a pet for almost six years. Never snapped at me once, easily the nicest snake I’ve ever owned. And they’re typically pretty mean. RIP Billy Jack.

Yeah, I was gonna say, the non-poisonous one is probably meaner than the rattler, despite the rattler potentially being more hazardous.

16 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

ff102de92942bb6ee8cd90c9630278a9.jpg

Found this guy in our hood on my walk with the dog yesterday morning. I usually go when it’s dark and might not have seen it.

*about a foot long

Yeah, I saw on nextdoor that this past weekend someone was walking on the street at night in sandals in the Four Points area and was bitten by a poisonous snake and spent the weekend in the hospital.

On 10/21/2019 at 5:17 PM, Native Horn said:

Sneks are venomous, not poisonous, y'all.

Strictly speaking, you are correct. But why do people get worked up about calling snakes venomous but not acknowledge that mosquitoes are venomous as well. And god forbid, should someone call poison nettles poisonous rather than venomous.

I took a quick little jog around the new park today.  I came across three of these little beauties on my trip.  I haven't seen one since my teen years, and today I came across three over the course of two miles.  Breeding season, I guess.  Just glad they weren't copperheads. 

B8BEC049-C87A-41B7-8B70-F35DB54D0D36.jpeEDEB5099-EE1B-4B1A-8C86-23863EF4B52B.jpe

11D4222C-3D9C-4394-8F6B-BBF532FFA10D.jpe

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bmbmd said:

I took a quick little jog around the new park today.  I came across three of these little beauties on my trip.  I haven't seen one since my teen years, and today I came across three over the course of two miles.  Breeding season, I guess.  Just glad they weren't copperheads. 

B8BEC049-C87A-41B7-8B70-F35DB54D0D36.jpeEDEB5099-EE1B-4B1A-8C86-23863EF4B52B.jpe

11D4222C-3D9C-4394-8F6B-BBF532FFA10D.jpe

Green Mambas, better watch out. Lol

They must be out and about right now.  I was cutting and chipping brush today.  Threw a decent sized cedar into the brush chipper.  Saw something moving my way and it was a smooth green snake.  I almost went Fargo on the little guy.   He got out just before the teeth grabbed the branch and sucked it in.  

9 hours ago, miguelito said:

Cool.  Those green sneks are pretty.

Once at Guadalupe State Park I found a small one of those in a tree.  I actually let it slither on my hands for a while.  Which surprised even me, because normally

I hate snakes, Jacques, I hate 'em!

Show a little backbone, will ya!

Edited by Underdog

SHERIFF FINDS WOMAN DEAD WITH SNAKE AROUND HER NECK

Spoiler

OXFORD, Ind. (WLFI) — A woman was found dead Wednesday night in a building described by Indiana State Police as a "reptile home."

Sgt. Kim Riley says Benton County Sheriff Don Munson found 36-year-old Laura Hurst from Battle Ground in the Oxford home with an 8-foot Reticulated Python around her neck. It happened about 9 p.m. in the 600 block of North Dan Patch Drive. Riley said the building is near where Munson lives. Medics arrived and attempted life-saving measures on Hurst but were unsuccessful.

Online records show Munson owns the home, but Riley could not confirm the information.  The woman frequented the location about two times a week, according to Riley.

State police said it appeared the woman was "killed by a reptile." About 140 snakes are kept in the home with 20 belonging to the woman, according to Riley.

An autopsy is scheduled for Friday to determine the official cause of death.

On 10/15/2019 at 10:48 PM, Quasimofo said:

Interesting thing about my part of the world (North Central Texas) is when Fall starts sending cold fronts in, those Western Diamondbacks will crawl out on country roads, and warm themselves at night. Most people drive right by, thinking it's a stick between the two lanes. If I see that coontail coloration when I drive by, I'll stop and go back, which my wife HATES!

My college roommate and I paid for our beer money with rattlesnakes picked up off of the warm pavement every October. There was one stretch of FM road between Fairy and Hico where we caught 26 in one night. We were getting about $10/pound.

CHIEF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

My college roommate and I paid for our beer money with rattlesnakes picked up off of the warm pavement every October. There was one stretch of FM road between Fairy and Hico where we caught 26 in one night. We were getting about $10/pound.

CHIEF

Alcoholism will make you do some bizarre shit....but I admire the pluck.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, bmbmd said:

No it was sunning on the patio.  They were cleaning gutters (effin' hackberry tree) and saw him.  Mrs. BMB got the .410 derringer whilst BMB Jr. held him with a rake, then dispatched him.

Serious question here.  I like shooting guns with the rest of y'all.  If the snake was secured with a rake, why not kill it with the rake?  Obviously not as fun, but also less of a to-do.