¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

yeah, the digital zoom on my old SE isn't great, but the head was not flattened out irl.  the first thing that struck me was how stubby the tail is, compared to (other) water snakes I've seen.  not as fat as (other) mocs I've seen, but not slender at all.  and that keeled dorsal area...dunno.   google searches and comparisons are inconclusive, to me.
didn't kill it.  we were on a boat dock above it.  it watched us for a while, then slithered on into a hole under a rotten tree stump.  feel free to stick your hand in there and find out for sure, Swayze.
upper end of the lake, Hate.  little ways south of the Canyon of the Eagles LCRA park, off a private road.

I agree it’s hard to tell (or tail). I’m 50-50 on it. Water moccasins coloration and patterns also vary. Regardless, at least you didn’t go full blown vagina and kill it.
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, wd40 said:

not so nice, dese ones

spacer.png

Lake Buchanan, today.

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Nerodia. Not a water moccasin. Bitey, but non venomous (or poisonous for the fucking retards).

Negative sir.

That is most definitely a cottonmouth. 100%

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Nerodia flatten their heads to appear very triangular. You can’t use that as an identifier.

Here is an example

harmless_snake_head3.jpg

You're right, you are NOT a cottonmouth! But you are wearing a cottonmouth's uniform.  /Chappelle 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I didn't take my phone, but had a good day yesterday spoting a Nerodia swimming in the Bosque and a baby rough green snake crossing the trail about half an inch from getting a death from my fiance's shoe who didn't see it until after she passed it. It was perfect snake weather yesterday after that hard rain on Friday night/Saturday.

• Like 1

What's the striped one, Swayze?  I ran over one the other day but I think he was already ded.  Hope so.
I saw a bigass turtle on the edge of the trail, shell was about 10-12" and I think she had been laying eggs.
Great photos, as usual.

It’s a Western Ribbon snake. Saw 3 of them today.
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 5:09 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

Was it too beaucoup?

Was i too subtle? Thought you people were smarter than that

23 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That or Alabama black snake.

8 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Goddamit I fell for this and googled it. I'm an idiot. 

FWIW, I think the second one looks more like a cottonmouth than the first one. 

2 hours ago, EE2B said:

8dc1d6afc7a8bcc2494ca47c97cc9419.jpg

I don’t think just running over a snek is going to do much to it. When we would see big rattlers in the road around the farm growing up we would lock up the brakes and kind of smear ‘em because just running them over wasn’t enough.

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I don’t think just running over a snek is going to do much to it. When we would see big rattlers in the road around the farm growing up we would lock up the brakes and kind of smear ‘em because just running them over wasn’t enough.

I don't know.  I have accidentally run over some green snek on my bike.  I hope they survived.  I like those snek.

I've seen juvenile copperheads run over, too.  I like them, also, as long as no kids or pets around.

But like the hognose above, they may not die immediately, but may slither off and die later.  Probably unpleasantly.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

That doesn't make any sense.  I have seen snakes run over, but they are still alive.  But they won't survive with half of their organs on the outside or broken vertebrae.

On 5/18/2020 at 6:00 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I had one in the front yard of the farm  the other day, and was delighted to visit with a herp that couldn't hurt me.  He remained motionless for a couple of minutes while i hovered above him.  He had five or six fire ants crawling on him, and, as I watched, so did I.  Finally, I tweaked his tail and he shot off like a rocket.  Fire ants itch like crazy. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 7:21 PM, Buzzrock said:

The one I just posted above got backed over by me and you could hear a loud pop followed by a lot of pissed of rattling as he tried to drag his guts off the road.  No way he survived.

If only I had a dollar for all of those me and my cousins caught on the shores of Lake Buchanan. They always ended up in an old Parkay tub that Grandma kept for some reason.

43 minutes ago, 3shot said:

Looks like a prairie to me.  

It is...I was just kidding.  Those things seem to be more common up here this spring/early summer than catching an aggy sneaking a sip from his jizz jar.

Well fuck. Spent much of the morning sweating my balls off flipping tin in the search for a speckled king. Literally the last piece I was going to check before calling it a day and I see a really brightly colored juvenile. Fuckers goes for a mouse hole before I could grab him. That’s aggravating.

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

No idea how you are able to catch those things. Must be all that Big Red-fueled energy.

Ha!  I did have Tejas BBQ today for lunch, but no Big Red.  Trying to stay away from sugar.  Maybe the BBQ helped.  These guys are fast, but when you find them under some tin, it is pretty easy to grab them.

I am pissed about the kingsnake.  Going to try again on Monday.

What are the gloves for? So you don't mess up your nails?

That and not interested in getting cut by rusty tin that I am pulling up to find these snakes. Not worried about the snakes biting me.

So far today I struck out on speckled kings. I think I will try at night after the rain. I did see a broad banded watersnake, but he wasn’t that colorful so I just let him be. About to go looking for hognose. With my luck lately, I doubt I’ll see one.

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That and not interested in getting cut by rusty tin that I am pulling up to find these snakes. Not worried about the snakes biting me.

So far today I struck out on speckled kings. I think I will try at night after the rain. I did see a broad banded watersnake, but he wasn’t that colorful so I just let him be. About to go looking for hognose. With my luck lately, I doubt I’ll see one.

My best king is a four foot Cali king when I was visiting a friend in Palos Verdes. I have a 3+ right now. She's as sweet as can be, unless you are a lizard, snake, bird or rodent.

Edited by 4th and 5