¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

My best king is a four foot Cali king when I was visiting a friend in Palos Verdes. I have a 3+ right now. She's as sweet as can be, unless you are a lizard, snake, bird or rodent.

I’ve never owned myself and won’t take one from the wild, but lately I have been thinking about getting a king or milk as a pet. I think my daughters would get a kick out of it.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’ve never owned myself and won’t take one from the wild, but lately I have been thinking about getting a king or milk as a pet. I think my daughters would get a kick out of it.

Mine is not from the wild. I’ve had her since she was a baby. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 10:59 PM, Burt said:

The one I just posted above got backed over by me and you could hear a loud pop followed by a lot of pissed of rattling as he tried to drag his guts off the road.  No way he survived.

Christ dude.  Afraid it was gonna bite your car?

• Like 1

1. 4 vials of copperhead antivenin must be expensive because it is rarely given and not much of it is out there.  

2. Don’t step on copperheads.

3. The New York Post knows the difference between venomous and poisonous, I expect a forum full of college educated folks to know the difference as well.

According to this bite incident in Indiana, a vial costs $17k (possibly inflated price).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/science/2019/04/try-not-to-get-bitten-by-a-snake-it-could-cost-you-143000/%3famp=1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

1. 4 vials of copperhead antivenin must be expensive because it is rarely given and not much of it is out there.  

2. Don’t step on copperheads.

3. The New York Post knows the difference between venomous and poisonous, I expect a forum full of college educated folks to know the difference as well.

According to this bite incident in Indiana, a vial costs $17k (possibly inflated price).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/science/2019/04/try-not-to-get-bitten-by-a-snake-it-could-cost-you-143000/%3famp=1

Fucking hospitals.  The real fuckers in the healthcare system.  https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/crofab

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Why is it called antivenin?

Antivenin and antivenom are synonyms. 

If anyone is even slightly curious about poisonous snakes and antivenom, I highly recommend that you listen to The Texas Standard podcast from February 26, 2020.  The whole series is wonderful, but this one in particular is outstanding.  And it's only a couple minutes long.  Below is a link to the website that has what appears to be a transcript of the podcast.  

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/dont-mess-with-texas-coral-snakes/

Side note: will one of you important assholes please make a call and get someone to make a batch of Coral snake antivenom? Because apparently, we are fresh out.  Seriously, what the actual fuck that we don't have anymore Coral snake antivenom because it's not profitable to make...I know we've got a lot of other issues right now as a nation, but can't some congressman sneak a grant in to manufacture Coral snake antivenom in the next round of stimulus?  Next door neighbor found a coral snake in the kids' playhouse a couple weeks ago, for fucks sake.

• Like 1

A friend of mine when I was growing up had a California Kingsnake and a Corn Snake.  I never really put much thought into owning one before, but now I am considering it.  This wouldn't be for a little while as the job situation is not good, but doing a bit of research.  The two I am looking at are the Grey Banded Kingsnake and the Honduran Milk Snake.  The problem with the Grey banded is availability and also the fact that you need to get them used to eating mice rather than lizards.  But I like that they are a Texas snake and really one of the more stunning looking snakes.  Both are amazing looking and have very docile temperaments like other Kingsnakes.  We will see.

Grey Banded Kingsnake:

spacer.png

Tangerine Honduran Milk Snake:

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Those are badass. What are the legalities of owning them in Texas? I posted before that it’s illegal to handle much less own a wild snake in Georgia. I guess I was an outlaw when I kept a king for a couple months in high school.

I think you have to have a license in Texas to collect or possess wild snakes.  I'm not sure that is actually true.  I did learn that there is a reptile/amphibian endorsement that can be added to a Texas Hunting License, though.  It's not included on my Super Combo, but I might add it next year - even if just to see the reaction of the Academy lady when I ask for it.

Reptile and Amphibian Endorsement
$10 (Item 178)
Required for any person to capture indigenous reptiles or amphibians on the shoulder of a public road or any unpaved area of a public right of way.
Edited by Jerry Callo

My understanding is that in order to legally collect snakes, you need a license. Some snakes are protected, like the Indigo (which homesick mentioned). Those I don’t think you are even supposed to pick up.

Owning a kingsnake, and most other snakes, is perfectly legal in Texas.

Today I went to Galveston hoping for a rattlesnake or Speckled Kingsnake. No such luck. I did catch two Coachwhips which is always cool. The second one was 4.5’ at least and great coloring. But he was still in shed and I didn’t feel like dressing him out for shots I wouldn’t be happy with.

vWjzDQpc_o.jpeg

wOpPflV2_o.jpeg

• Like 3

I am at the ranch and last night I was walking through camp to throw some meat on the grill when I walked right by a rattler. Never saw it and thank god it started to rattle because I jumped far enough to not get hit. It was maybe 2ft from me when I heard it. It was right by the cooker and out in the open but still completely hidden. I killed it, skinned it, ate it and have no ragrets.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I am at the ranch and last night I was walking through camp to throw some meat on the grill when I walked right by a rattler. Never saw it and thank god it started to rattle because I jumped far enough to not get hit. It was maybe 2ft from me when I heard it. It was right by the cooker and out in the open but still completely hidden. I killed it, skinned it, ate it and have no ragrets.

If you ate it, you now have the snake spirit in you.....and the taste like chicken spirit too.

It's funny you say that.  I live out in Driftwood and have seen a few in the 8 years we've been out here.  But 3 days ago one slithered right past my dog's foot and into the brush as he was taking a shit (the dog, not the snake).  Couldn't have been more than 3 feet from me and I didn't notice it until it moved.  Then within 48 hours, there were 2 posts on Nextdoor of coral snakes in people's yards.  Dumbasses killed them.  That of course incited a pissing match.
Playing golf at Shadow Glen in Manor last summer, my buddy goes to take a leak in the trees at one of the tee boxes and a coral snake starts slithering around. Thing was really well camouflaged. I went to look after the fact and he had to point it out to me.

Just that scared me a little. I'd probably have fear sharted if I was my friend.

Riding the mountain bike at the ranch in Llano today and had a 3.5-4' snake dart out of the grass between the tire tracks on one of the fence line roads and haul ass straight down the road in front of me. It was kind of a mottled grey with maybe a little blue tint and a tan or yellow belly. It was fast as fuck and was able to pull away from me and I was riding a mountain bike. My FIL, who grew up out there called it a "white racer". I figure it had to be a racer of some sort, or maybe some variation of a coachwhip, but I can't find anything online. Long skinny snake with a very small head. I figure one of you assholes will know what it is. 

On 5/23/2020 at 8:12 AM, HOOKEM4 said:

This the season. My fiance was about 6in from stepping on a juvenile copperhead today at the park. It was going in the opposite direction, but she never saw it.

Riding the mountain bike at the ranch in Llano today and had a 3.5-4' snake dart out of the grass between the tire tracks on one of the fence line roads and haul ass straight down the road in front of me. It was kind of a mottled grey with maybe a little blue tint and a tan or yellow belly. It was fast as fuck and was able to pull away from me and I was riding a mountain bike. My FIL, who grew up out there called it a "white racer". I figure it had to be a racer of some sort, or maybe some variation of a coachwhip, but I can't find anything online. Long skinny snake with a very small head. I figure one of you assholes will know what it is. 

I would guess it was a coachwhip. Their colors vary quite a bit.
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 11:35 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

A friend of mine when I was growing up had a California Kingsnake and a Corn Snake.  I never really put much thought into owning one before, but now I am considering it.  This wouldn't be for a little while as the job situation is not good, but doing a bit of research.  The two I am looking at are the Grey Banded Kingsnake and the Honduran Milk Snake.  The problem with the Grey banded is availability and also the fact that you need to get them used to eating mice rather than lizards.  But I like that they are a Texas snake and really one of the more stunning looking snakes.  Both are amazing looking and have very docile temperaments like other Kingsnakes.  We will see.

Grey Banded Kingsnake:

spacer.png

Had a HMS for a while as a teen. My sister stole it from a pet store and eventually returned it. Gorgeous and very friendly. Seemingly everyone assumed it was a coral snake, which was usually good for a laugh. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 4:21 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

My understanding is that in order to legally collect snakes, you need a license. Some snakes are protected, like the Indigo (which homesick mentioned). Those I don’t think you are even supposed to pick up.

Owning a kingsnake, and most other snakes, is perfectly legal in Texas.

Today I went to Galveston hoping for a rattlesnake or Speckled Kingsnake. No such luck. I did catch two Coachwhips which is always cool. The second one was 4.5’ at least and great coloring. But he was still in shed and I didn’t feel like dressing him out for shots I wouldn’t be happy with.

vWjzDQpc_o.jpeg

wOpPflV2_o.jpeg

Would love to follow along with you next time you're hunting down in Galveston.  Do you mind if amateurs tag along with you?  

Would love to follow along with you next time you're hunting down in Galveston.  Do you mind if amateurs tag along with you?  

I am far from a pro. In fact, the guys that help me with this stuff are probably sick of my stupid questions. But no, I don’t mind. I very rarely go to Galveston. Might not try again until the fall.

I flipped the largest hognose I have ever seen just off Cypresswood in Spring this morning. He put on a big show, huffing and puffing. Then shat himself. Haha.

pmgs0VLf_o.jpeg

Then saw this dead juvenile copperhead in a park.

2ZQec7wo_o.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/25/2020 at 4:18 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I found my first ringneck. These are rare in Harris county. I also found the speckled king. He is at the very beginning of shedding so his eyes were cloudy. I saw the racer from the other day and a ribbon. So 4 species within 25 yards of each other.

Awesome pics, Patricio. And many thanks for satisfying my request.

With luck, you'll stumble upon that speck again in the near future.

• Like 1

Do their colors fade as they age?

I don’t think I can answer that with confidence. However, I think there are different morphs as I have seen adults with similar patterns (usually not as bold, so maybe you have a point). Even the black ones have a pattern that is tough to see. I got less than 2’ from this without it striking from me. It didn’t chase me. It didn’t strike. Just like all the other cottonmouths I have come across. It did it’s typical open mouth display, but that is it. I moved it off the road and it swam across the ditch into the brush.