¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

37 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Ha.  McMullen Co.   that’s where I used to hunt.  What ranch were you on?   We were on the old Wenzt place where Highway 99 dead ended at a pipe gate south of Choke Canyon. 

Miles place, just south of the Nueces

33 minutes ago, deadshank said:

This video was taken in rattler held territory with an indigo making a raid to test rattler defenses. 

IMG_9630.mov 7.67 MB · 7 downloads

That's a Great Plains Ratsnake, a/k/a Emory's Ratsnake (Pantherophis emoryi)

26 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Indigo are bad mofos. 

Yes they are. Not clear on a pound per pound basis vs. kingsnake but the biggest indigo would take the biggest king 9.5 times out of 10

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Hot damn! As posed, that's one elapid-looking colubrid.

This indigo stuff is awesome. Thanks to all for the vids, pics, and commentary.

They really do look like a cobra, with their nose and black, empty eyes with brow, don't they? They got some pretty swole necks too.

Amazing that a snake that is not venomous, not a constrictor and is not entirely immune to venom is the top dog....but it is, based on sheer size, aggression and agility, the strength of its bite, and its propensity to smash it's prey into the ground or nearby objects!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

They really do look like a cobra, with their nose and black, empty eyes with brow, don't they? They got some pretty swole necks too.

Amazing that a snake that is not venomous, not a constrictor and is not entirely immune to venom is the top dog....but it is, based on sheer size, aggression and agility, the strength of its bite, and its propensity to smash it's prey into the ground or nearby objects!

Look at the one they're handling in this video. The indigo can even flatten in a way that's suggestive of a cobra's hood.

I feel like I know my snakes well enough, but if someone held that indigo up to me and I hadn't been paying attention, I'd shit myself thinking it was a cobra.

Can't say that I'm a student of the indigo exactly, but the specimens I have seen have been pretty solid blue-black.  They may have been immature, as they were decent-sized, but not the behemoths in some of the last pix and not the mottled or grayish hues on them.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Ya that ain’t a copperhead. You just killed a kick ass awesome snake.

OK.  So it’s not a Cuhead.   

Dumb SOB shouldn’t be hiding inside the bough of a tree.  We don't check the inside of mesquites before cutting on them.  

And we don’t rent pigs. 

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

OK.  So it’s not a Cuhead.   

Dumb SOB shouldn’t be hiding inside the bough of a tree.  We don't check the inside of mesquites before cutting on them.  

And we don’t rent pigs. 

I took your original post as the snake was kilt by accident and without malice aforethought.  Inside a mesquite tree is a great place to hide, with one notable exception.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Getting soft in my old age, felt rather bad for that rattler in the video, like he was setup or something. 

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Getting soft in my old age, felt rather bad for that rattler in the video, like he was setup or something. 

One telltale sign is telling the same story more than once in conversation.

Parents had a minor AC issue a couple of years ago, it stopped working in the middle of the night. So they called the AC repair company, who came out and looked at it.

Ended up with the AC repair guy and my mom jumping back from the unit and basically in each others arms yelling after seeing what the problem was...

Spoiler

o3FIsaJC

turns out the snake somehow got into the unit and stretched from point A to point B just the right way and shorted out the system lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoName said:

Parents had a minor AC issue a couple of years ago, it stopped working in the middle of the night. So they called the AC repair company, who came out and looked at it.

Ended up with the AC repair guy and my mom jumping back from the unit and basically in each others arms yelling after seeing what the problem was...

Hide contents

o3FIsaJC

turns out the snake somehow got into the unit and stretched from point A to point B just the right way and shorted out the system lol

Ride the lightning!!

• Like 4

Went for a drive in the Katy Prairie today. All the rain had the animals out. Saw 4 western ribbon snakes, one dead yellow bellies water snake, a dekay’s brown snake and a good sized rat snake. The rat snake was injuries and found in the road. No real trauma could be found. We had just passed by and he wasn’t there. I don’t think he was hit, but picked up by a bird of prey and then dropped because he was too big.

Also saw lots of turtles, caracaras (one eating a dead cat), mississippi kites, buzzards, hawks, and barred owls.

RXXmM6KW_o.jpeg

WPn67EEP_o.jpeg

g9Lr9H9G_o.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

What city/area was that?

That's in Iowa. I think it's a pretty common snake around here. I was in Texas for so many years that I thought it was a rattler, then I got closer and he was just having an afternoon sun nap and didn't care about me at all. 

Seems like they're pretty chill snakes, from what I remember growing up here. 

Been going to this one stretch of road in the Katy Prairie the last few days.  Seen 6 species of snakes.  Was hoping for a speckled king, but no dice.  Today I saw 4 Dekay Brown snakes...I really don't need to see anymore this year.  I finally came across a rough green snake.  First for 2020 and only the 3rd I have caught.

NVw3Wg70_o.jpg

MGwcH899_o.jpg

b3JCzpqk_o.jpg

NM6dHDLu_o.jpg

apbodnpk_o.jpg

XGQcB3oo_o.jpg

Edited by Patricio Swayze
  • Like 4

Awesome pics, [mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention]. Such an uniquely detailed pattern on those Dekay browns, with the alternating white/black brackets. That green snake looks badass.
And for a juvenile, that cottonmouth is purty plump. Must be lots of forage wherever you are. LoL
[/quote

Thanks. Yeah, I love those rough green snakes.

Good percentage of pix with snek with its tongue out. My first rule of snek photos, is they are always better when snek has its forked tongue out.

Agreed.

On 6/24/2020 at 8:22 AM, NoName said:

Hide contents

o3FIsaJC

Used to do some contracting with OG&E. Everyday a snake was fried somewhere in the plant.  Freaked me the fuck out for a bit

• Like 1