¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

This morning I decided to head to the Katy Prairie.  It was actually 75 when I got there and kind of overcast.  Good conditions.  First saw a ribbon snake.  Then two dekay brown snakes shit all over me.  And it stinks like hell.  No more picking them up, I have seen way more than enough.  I pulled over and washed my hands with my water bottle and checked my phone.  Saw that it was apparently World Snake Day.  I thought great, I have had two shit on me today.  No kidding, 100 yards down the road right after I cleaned my hands, I found my first (live) Prairie Kingsnake.  I was stoked.

50120346441_5deafe4aff_o.jpg

50120568332_ac8f77b4c5_o.jpg

One of the shitters...

kpZEmL3Y_o.jpg

I think it was Tuesday I was headed out to brenham to check out an abandoned church and decided to go through the Prairie.  Really bummed when I found this run over Speckled King.  Really nice looking and probabl 3'.  It had just happened too.

Uz9OT1LH_o.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

On 7/13/2020 at 1:11 AM, Zepol87 said:

Not sure she said it didn't even hurt that bad for about 30 seconds then a fuck ton of pain and looked down an saw blood. Foot is swollen and hurts with any pressure on it but Dr said thats the worst of it 

Wife's cousin apparently got bit recently by copperhead.  That's about the worst she ever got.

17 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

230/300

Variations between different rat snakes and king snakes always through me off.

Me too, especially when they're young.

Patricio, you didn't tell me about the speck king that was ran over.  That's fucking sad.  The three times I've made it down to Katy Prairie, of all five of the cars I've seen, three of them are going 50mph, while I'm going 15mph.  Only to come back from wherever they were going 10 minutes later going even faster.  Fucking assholes.  Dude on the street legal dirtbike had the right idea.

• Like 1

Got a question for the surly herps.

On the ranch thread, there was a lot of talk of horned lizards, aka horny toads.  At Oak Cliff Nature preserve, I see a fair number of Texas Spiny Lizards.  Most of the time, they are scurrying away from me, but occasionally I will "freeze" one and get a good look at it.  These are fairly slender-bodied and look like this:

bbeast4-16.jpg

I also see some really fat, round-bodied lizards scurrying out of my way.  I have yet to freeze one or see it in a still or slow moving moment.  These look to me to be horned lizards by their silhouette.  They also tend to be very brownish in coloration, with less obvious stripes than the spiny lizards, whose stripes are pretty obvious even when hauling ass away from me.  I probably see one of these every ride, and multiple spiny lizards.

Is there some other fat-bodied lizard that I could be seeing?  I see some photos of spiny lizards that are kind of rotund, but not like the "horned lizards" I am seeing.

Edited by TwiceHorn

13 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Did you take that pic, Twice? Well done, if so. Never seen one of those.

Nah, even when I manage to "freeze" a spiny lizard, they get moving before I can dig my phone out.  I don't think I had ever seen one either.

OCNP is very Centex-y in spots.  Limestone, cedars.  That's where you see those and what I believe are horned lizards, but haven't seen well enough to positively ID.  

Knowing that horned lizards are endangered, it would be gratifying to know that I see a goodly number of them in a pretty urban environment, which is why I am asking if I could be seeing something else.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Just passing through.  One of the few rattlers we see on our side of the Frio.  He scooted out of the way as I stopped to let him pass.   He coiled up underneath some prickly pear and stared at me.  I patted him in his little head and bid him good day.  

9FB3B2CF-5166-40D9-BE87-D1F857E68B2F.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

Just passing through.  One of the few rattlers we see on our side of the Frio.  He scooted out of the way as I stopped to let him pass.   He coiled up underneath some prickly pear and stared at me.  I patted him in his little head and bid him good day.  

Your indigos appear to be sleeping on the job.

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

18DD18EB-845B-4FAC-AAF3-13DEEFC000FE.jpeg.f94e3f57f5dae539cb212e75c7d8b8d0.jpeg

• Like 1

I was 1/1 with this ID on my mountain bike ride today. He was snoozing across the trail and didn’t move for several minutes. Tossed some stuff nearby in hopes of him waking up and moving on. Slithered across the trail and I got by without him coiling up/rattling. Figure he was 2-2.5’.

29564f3f3980b9147a116d18e514389f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Homesickhorn and I went road cruising for snakes tonight. Didn’t rain as much at the getting spot as I had hoped. We were disappointed that we didn’t see any kingsnakes, but we saw a bunch of diamondback watersnakes and a mammoth (and pissed off) cottonmouth.

1RdtyuA6_o.jpeg

qc45w0Xu_o.jpeg

My brother saw this juvenile copperhead on the hike and bike near his house in NW Houston.

LLhDnwPU_o.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

image.gif.7798f8d174ea61bdf801156b7634af40.gif

homesick was about to get lit up by that cottonmouth. He didn’t see it and was about to reach for a baby ribbon snake when I spotted it. He would have been jerking off left handed for at least a month. 

I’m left handed dude, therefore, I already jerk off with my lef....never mind. I did however, get Achilles heeled by that fucking water snek when you let her go the first time.
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 5:55 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Got a question for the surly herps.

On the ranch thread, there was a lot of talk of horned lizards, aka horny toads.  At Oak Cliff Nature preserve, I see a fair number of Texas Spiny Lizards.  Most of the time, they are scurrying away from me, but occasionally I will "freeze" one and get a good look at it.  These are fairly slender-bodied and look like this:

bbeast4-16.jpg

I also see some really fat, round-bodied lizards scurrying out of my way.  I have yet to freeze one or see it in a still or slow moving moment.  These look to me to be horned lizards by their silhouette.  They also tend to be very brownish in coloration, with less obvious stripes than the spiny lizards, whose stripes are pretty obvious even when hauling ass away from me.  I probably see one of these every ride, and multiple spiny lizards.

Is there some other fat-bodied lizard that I could be seeing?  I see some photos of spiny lizards that are kind of rotund, but not like the "horned lizards" I am seeing.

In my experience, horned lizards would rather not scurry away. I suspect you not seeing horned lizards. One way to tell the difference is to look at how the tail extends from the body. In your pic above, there is a smooth transition from the body to the tail. In a horned lizard, it is obvious when the body ends and the tail begins:

1200px-Horned_lizard_032507_kdh.jpg&f=1&

There are a lot of lizards that can be fairly "chunky" looking. They often inflate their bodies to look bigger when they feel threatened. Wiki has a good list with some good pics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reptiles_of_Texas#Lizards

Here's another: https://www.inaturalist.org/check_lists/76862-Reptiles-of-Texas

Does the nature center keep a list?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

In my experience, horned lizards would rather not scurry away. I suspect you not seeing horned lizards. One way to tell the difference is to look at how the tail extends from the body. In your pic above, there is a smooth transition from the body to the tail. In a horned lizard, it is obvious when the body ends and the tail begins:

1200px-Horned_lizard_032507_kdh.jpg&f=1&

There are a lot of lizards that can be fairly "chunky" looking. They often inflate their bodies to look bigger when they feel threatened. Wiki has a good list with some good pics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reptiles_of_Texas#Lizards

Here's another: https://www.inaturalist.org/check_lists/76862-Reptiles-of-Texas

Does the nature center keep a list?

That is pretty much the silhouette that I see.  Round body, short tail, very round, blunt head.  

And remember, when I see them I am bombing along a trail at 10mph.

The "nature center" at OCNP:

IMG-20200603-112235895-HDR.jpg

Yes, those are bullet holes. Not much help.  I have googled around for info and nothing there either.

• 2 weeks later...

Homesick and I went to the snake gettin place last night. We saw only one watersnake. Was really weird because usually there are a lot of them. So we started looking for sleeping rough green snakes. One thing is certain, homesick has an eye for schlange. He spotted several rough greens. I only caught a stinky ribbon.

zmOJaJNm_o.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1