¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Obviously very toxic venom, up there with the likes of  black mambas, etc. I believe,  but not an aggressive snake at all. Very docile and reclusive critters.  They can't effectively transmit their venom like a rattle snake, lacking the big fangs. Probably have to let it chew between the webbing of your fingers for a while or something like that. I think the big concern, at least in my mind, is they are brightly and beautifully colored, making them attractive to small children to pick up who don't know any better. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Are corals really that dangerous? It’s my understanding that it’s pretty hard to get bit by one.

As was mentioned, there has only been one death from coral snakes in more than 40 years, since the development of a antivenin.  Typically coral snakes are docile and prefer to run away rather than fight, but if they don't feel threatened, they are sometimes very curious and that behavior has been misconstrued as aggression on occasion.  Their venom delivery takes place towards the back of their mouth and those fangs are rather short, and their mouths are fairly small.  Most corals are smaller snakes in general, but the larger ones could very well envenomate a human in the right circumstances.  Their venom is a neurotoxin, almost exactly the same as a King Cobra, and requires treatment ASAP.  The last known fatality occurred in 2006, when 2 men were handling the snake and the victim didn't seek treatment after being bitten.  The other man was bitten too, but not envenomated.  Of the 4 species of venomous snakes in the US, I would venture to guess that more people have been killed by rattlesnakes in the past 10-15 years, than all others put together since those records have been kept.  Long story short, as far as coral snakes go, don't start no shit, there won't be shit.  Also, rattlers are a hell of a lot more likely to fuck your shit up.

37 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

red and yellow, friendly fellow.  Red and black, jump the fuck back.  

25 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I think it's the other way around.  Red on Yellow kills a fellow, Red on Black venom lack.

Won't someone think of poor friendless Jack?

11 hours ago, Hairy Biped said:

As was mentioned, there has only been one death from coral snakes in more than 40 years, since the development of a antivenin.  Typically coral snakes are docile and prefer to run away rather than fight, but if they don't feel threatened, they are sometimes very curious and that behavior has been misconstrued as aggression on occasion.  Their venom delivery takes place towards the back of their mouth and those fangs are rather short, and their mouths are fairly small. Most corals are smaller snakes in general, but the larger ones could very well envenomate a human in the right circumstances.  Their venom is a neurotoxin, almost exactly the same as a King Cobra, and requires treatment ASAP.  The last known fatality occurred in 2006, when 2 men were handling the snake and the victim didn't seek treatment after being bitten.  The other man was bitten too, but not envenomated.  Of the 4 species of venomous snakes in the US, I would venture to guess that more people have been killed by rattlesnakes in the past 10-15 years, than all others put together since those records have been kept.  Long story short, as far as coral snakes go, don't start no shit, there won't be shit.  Also, rattlers are a hell of a lot more likely to fuck your shit up.

it's a commonly cited "fact" but it's actually not true.  their fangs are forward situated.  they DO have to chew on you a bit before the venom can be injected though.  

So I didn't really know where to put this and I didn't wanna start a new thread but I need some bird identification help. I wasn't able to get pics cuz they were too far away but I got a good look at them with binoculars. 

There were three buzzard/vulture sized birds circling like buzzards. They had white chests and heads with a bright red patch under their beaks. Feet and beaks were bright yellow and the beak was big like a parrots. After they landed they spent the afternoon just walking around in the grass and hanging out under some trees. Anyone seen these before? Maybe just some type of Turkey vulture with fat beaks?

31 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

So I didn't really know where to put this and I didn't wanna start a new thread but I need some bird identification help. I wasn't able to get pics cuz they were too far away but I got a good look at them with binoculars. 

There were three buzzard/vulture sized birds circling like buzzards. They had white chests and heads with a bright red patch under their beaks. Feet and beaks were bright yellow and the beak was big like a parrots. After they landed they spent the afternoon just walking around in the grass and hanging out under some trees. Anyone seen these before? Maybe just some type of Turkey vulture with fat beaks?

Best pic I could get

20200926_163004.jpg