¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

31 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Has anyone on here been bit by a copperhead? Supposedly it isn't usually that bad as long as you aren't allergic.

Couple points here:  1. How would someone know they are allergic without first being bitten?, and 2. If someone was previously bitten and discovered they aren't allergic, would they just go "Eh, screw it, I'll let it bite me since I'm not allergic?"

31 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Has anyone on here been bit by a copperhead? Supposedly it isn't usually that bad as long as you aren't allergic.

Couple points here:  1. How would someone know they are allergic without first being bitten?, and 2. If someone was previously bitten and discovered they aren't allergic, would they just go "Eh, screw it, I'll let it bite me since I'm not allergic?"

44 minutes ago, The Gimp said:

A lady down the street from us spent a few days in the local ICU after a bite.  They had previously also nearly lost their cocker spaniel to a bite.

Similar to what happened to my neighbor in Houston. Bit 3 times by a baby copperhead when she walked out on her back deck.

1 minute ago, Homesickhorn said:

Babies are the worst due to the fact that they’re not yet familiar with their venom sacks, and their capability. They get scared, bite, and go all in. Whereas an adult knows to strike and haul ass, the baby typically empties its venom due to lack of know-how.

I have heard that, yes. Or something similar.  I see a fair number of juvys on the MTB trails about this time of year.  I steer clear but wish them no harm.

• Like 1

SNEK strolling along the street a couple houses over.
19AAFA4B-8B8E-4945-A544-4F1FC343D8CB.thumb.jpeg.9f25485a58f9d7f19c128a45dc524cc5.jpeg

Please don’t kill it. And try your best to prevent the white knights who want to. Let it go, or use a fucking spatula to shovel it into a box, and take it somewhere else.
You’re looking at arguably the most non aggressive venomous snake in North America. And even if it bit someone, it would have to literally gnaw on said person for almost three to five minutes for there to be any semblance of venom-induced problem. Majority comes from infection.
  • Hook 'Em 5

16 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

Please don’t kill it. And try your best to prevent the white knights who want to. Let it go, or use a fucking spatula to shovel it into a box, and take it somewhere else.
You’re looking at arguably the most non aggressive venomous snake in North America. And even if it bit someone, it would have to literally gnaw on said person for almost three to five minutes for there to be any semblance of venom-induced problem. Majority comes from infection.

An interesting article on coral snakes worldwide, including some melanistic and albino variants that don't look much like coral snakes at all. http://thevenominterviews.com/2016/06/02/mythbusting-coral-snakes/

And the part about "chewing" or lengthy exposure may be mythical.  The venom is sufficiently slow acting that there's plenty of time to seek treatment and the prognosis is good.  

Seems like if you get bit, you should see a doctor PDQ.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

And even if it bit someone, it would have to literally gnaw on said person for almost three to five minutes for there to be any semblance of venom-induced problem. Majority comes from infection.

i'm part of a snake id group on facebook and this is one of the most common myths dispelled by the moderators.

19 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Babies are the worst due to the fact that they’re not yet familiar with their venom sacks, and their capability. They get scared, bite, and go all in. Whereas an adult knows to strike and haul ass, the baby typically empties its venom due to lack of know-how.

This is what the hospital told her too.

On 4/29/2021 at 3:16 PM, SimonBolivar said:

They are pit vipers (like rattlesnakes and moccasins). Their venom is pretty much the same as other pit vipers, I would imagine, or any difference in potency is going to be relatively small. The difference is that copperheads' defensive bites are more likely to be "dry bites" with no venom injected compared to defensive bites of moccasins or rattlesnakes. Still get punctured by the fangs, still hurt like hell, still good chance of infection, but low chance of getting envenomated.

They are also not very aggressive. You pretty much have to actually step on one before they will strike (or try to pick one up). They would much rather just lay low and hope you never see them.

We've joked on this thread about the fact that venomous sneks have slotted pupils, while nonvenomous snek has round pupils.  It's true, but who's going to get close enough to see?  Well, these fantastic pictures do a good job of showing that.  So if you encounter a snake in the wild and want to see its pupils, make sure you have Patricio Swayze and his camera with you.

Seriously, great pictures.

• Hook 'Em 2

Hahaha, thanks miguelito.

I *think* the only venomous snake in North America with round pupils is the Coral Snake.  I feel really bad for them, and especially Milksnakes that are killed because of ignorance. 

I am heading back to the prairie tomorrow morning since the conditions are so good right now.  Also because while I have two bachelors degrees, 13 years in one field, speak a few languages and work well with others, I am apparently unemployable. 

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Also because while I have two bachelors degrees, 13 years in one field, speak a few languages and work well with others, I am apparently unemployable. 

It might also be the fact that wherever you are, you tend to attract sneks. I can imagine that being a sort of deal breaker in most corporate settings... well, other than law firms, that is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well shit. Nope, I don’t think I have seen that. Well, not in person. Especially not two ribbon snakes. How does the water take the length?

Just saw a YouTube video that stated that’s how they mate? Is that right?

12 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hahaha, thanks miguelito.

I *think* the only venomous snake in North America with round pupils is the Coral Snake.  I feel really bad for them, and especially Milksnakes that are killed because of ignorance. 

I am heading back to the prairie tomorrow morning since the conditions are so good right now.  Also because while I have two bachelors degrees, 13 years in one field, speak a few languages and work well with others, I am apparently unemployable. 

Take snek charmer off your resume' maybe ?

Mad props to you, Swayze.  I know the unemployment game, and I really hate to hear that for you.  But keep doing what you are doing with the snake pics, you need to do things that give peace to your soul.  Beyond that, you are giving joy and educating others about some of the coolest creatures in our natural world.

I went fishing out at Brushy Creek last week and while the fish were biting, the snakes were abundant.  I was out there for ~90 mins or so and saw at least 5 water snakes of some type or the other.  Always keep it in my mind when wet wading anyway, but was extra cautious this trip since this is such an active time for the slitherererers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Walte464 said:

Have y’all ever seen 1 snake devouring another? We picked them up to see what was going on as they were right next to the house

I didn't take this pic but this coral was eating a rattle snek in the middle of the fairway in my neighborhood last October.  

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 11.45.36 AM.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

On 4/29/2021 at 7:20 PM, Homesickhorn said:

Not true about the "know how" BS. It's a reptile. Not a chimpanzee.

Larger pit viper = more venom = more damage.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:27 PM, Homesickhorn said:

Also not true.

But it is true they are not aggressive. In fact they are less aggressive then most snakes, venomous or not.

I've carefully picked up a coral snake barehanded.

I have not picked up any pit vipers.

On 4/30/2021 at 2:39 PM, McFly said:

This is what the hospital told her too.

No surprise they are not experts

17 hours ago, miguelito said:

We've joked on this thread about the fact that venomous sneks have slotted pupils, while nonvenomous snek has round pupils.  It's true, but who's going to get close enough to see?  Well, these fantastic pictures do a good job of showing that.  So if you encounter a snake in the wild and want to see its pupils, make sure you have Patricio Swayze and his camera with you.

Seriously, great pictures.

Pit vipers have elliptical pupils, but in the dark, they expand and they appear round.

Coral snakes have round pupils.

Some mildly venomous snakes have elliptical pupils.

Some mildly venomous snakes have round pupils.

Pupil size is a tool for identification. But it is just one tool and it is not foolproof.

Respect, Don't Fear N.C. Snakes | Coastal Review Online

15 hours ago, Walte464 said:

Have y’all ever seen 1 snake devouring another? We picked them up to see what was going on as they were right next to the house. @Patricio Swayze

F7E78B4B-D31D-4491-A4AC-EFAB12FD5F8B.png

Hard to be 100 from the picture but I think those might be patchnose snakes which eat other snakes and reptiles.