¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

And I almost ran the poor fucker over. Maybe it was because I was excited to get my truck unstuck.
Here’s a frog about a 1/4 mile down the road while Patricio was fondling rat snek.
2a09354673fdc420a7460ecfded70285.jpg

96bb822eadab96f332ce4e5c2a300497.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fuck yes. Metal af. 

my buddy sent me a vid of a red tailed snacking on a snake on his front lawn just last week. Snek season is also snek eating season. 

This is my 3rd time seeing a hawk eat a snake. Racer, Kingsnake and this ribbon. I just saw a video on Instagram of an owl eating a snake. I’d probably scream like one of those girls seeing the Beatles get off the plane if I saw that.

I didn’t think they were going to at first, but they did in the end. 4 footer

Don’t kill egg snek. Collect eggs in a timely manner, and egg snek isn’t a problem. He’s typically killing rats in or around the coup. Eggs left unguarded are free game. Sucks that they killed it. Ask them how many rats they have in about two weeks.
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, OrangEngr said:

cf9afaa29d3ce499ab2b848e7a17ad7a.jpg
In my parents chicken coop just now. Had his whole mouth around one of the eggs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My great grandmother had a porcelain doorknob that she would put in the nest.  Snek would swallow knob, beat self to death trying to digest it or pass it.  Knob would be recovered to fool another snek. 

Edited by bmbmd
  • Like 1

Have a family friend that would cull the rat snake population when they would get to be a nuisance by hard boiling an egg and sinking a treble hook into it and tying it off to the coop. I always thought that was cruel as hell but it worked.

Went out to Snek Rd. Thinking maybe the rain might have stirred up some snakes. Temperature though was not ideal. Didn’t see anything on the road on my first pass but as I was turning around I see this little shit hanging out. It was raining so didn’t bust out the camera. Couple of iphone shots:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Don’t kill egg snek. Collect eggs in a timely manner, and egg snek isn’t a problem. He’s typically killing rats in or around the coup. Eggs left unguarded are free game. Sucks that they killed it. Ask them how many rats they have in about two weeks.

Oh, don’t worry. He’s got rat poison that my sisters cavalier King Charles got into a few weeks ago and had to go to the emergency vet for, so it’s all good. ( in my parents defense, both are currently recovering from knee or foot surgeries of so,e degree so the niceties of letting the snek go are difficult at the moment

• Like 1

Went out to Snek Rd. Thinking maybe the rain might have stirred up some snakes. Temperature though was not ideal. Didn’t see anything on the road on my first pass but as I was turning around I see this little shit hanging out. It was raining so didn’t bust out the camera. Couple of iphone shots:
jj1OZ4h0_o.jpeg
86ZjZBUH_o.jpeg

I almost reached out on my way into town from San Antonio this afternoon. Shit.
  • Like 1

Snek Rd. is flooded.  Not as much as a few weeks ago, but lots of water.  Temperatures haven't been ideal.  Seen a lot of ribbon and brown snakes.  No king snakes.  Caught a beautiful ratsnake, but photos are garbage.  Here are some ok shots.  Dekay, ringneck (only the 3rd I have seen), cottonmouth, plain-belly watersnake...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

I am anxiously expecting a call about a job.  Since being laid off last year, I have thrown myself into photography.  Snakes are kind of a side focus of that.  I am hoping and wishing and hoping some more (I don't pray, but if  that is your thing, I wouldn't be offended if you threw some my way) that I get an offer.  In the meantime, I cruise roads for snakes, take road trips to photograph abandoned and interesting places.  It keeps me sane.  So with all that in mind, yeah, I hope the rain allows me to photograph interesting snakes (and other animals) that y'all enjoy.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Swayze, I’m down in Portland (TX) working a vax event. I’m heading to Brownsville in the morning to the bird sanctuary. Given my luck coming down here, I’m dead set on seeing the unicorn.

I get back tomorrow night, but I’m available Friday evening if you want to head out there. I’ll do the heavy lifting in order for you to get some good camera shots.

Good low angle stuff. Fur, and early mornin’ dew.

I need to catch a baby green for little homesick. He’s spent almost a month researching how to keep on in a domestic habitat, and has the whole terrarium ready to rock and roll.

21 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Swayze, I’m down in Portland (TX) working a vax event. I’m heading to Brownsville in the morning to the bird sanctuary. Given my luck coming down here, I’m dead set on seeing the unicorn.

I get back tomorrow night, but I’m available Friday evening if you want to head out there. I’ll do the heavy lifting in order for you to get some good camera shots.

Good low angle stuff. Fur, and early mornin’ dew.

I need to catch a baby green for little homesick. He’s spent almost a month researching how to keep on in a domestic habitat, and has the whole terrarium ready to rock and roll.

I'll let you know if I can make it out Friday night.

So, not a snake, but since most people will think it is a snake, I am putting it here.  This is the first Glass Lizard I have caught.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4