¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

12 hours ago, kevwun said:

I think my wife saw a cottonmouth yesterday when she was going to plant some flowers.  She said it was short, black and hissed at her.  I got to finish planting flowers when I got home from work.

I stepped over one just outside the fairway a month ago.  I'm terrified of sneks and would've gone crazy had a realized one was in my path and I'm lucky my cadence didn't lead me to step on it.  I noticed this movement in my peripheral below me and turned around and saw this fucker, who at this point had crawled all the way out of a drain in the rough.  The depression and leaves on the left are the drain.

MNgg4fN.jpg

Some friends of mine lived in Sri Lanka for a few years. One night the wife got up to go to the bathroom and stepped on a Russell viper, one of the deadliest snakes in the world. I don’t think they have the deadliest venom, but they are very aggressive. Anyway, the viper, incredibly, didn’t bite her. [/CSB]

On 3/28/2018 at 10:04 PM, Rex Kramer said:

I stepped over one just outside the fairway a month ago.  I'm terrified of sneks and would've gone crazy had a realized one was in my path and I'm lucky my cadence didn't lead me to step on it.  I noticed this movement in my peripheral below me and turned around and saw this fucker, who at this point had crawled all the way out of a drain in the rough.  The depression and leaves on the left are the drain.

MNgg4fN.jpg

I’m pretty sure that’s just a non venomous water snek. 

Poor snek. The giveaway it's not a cottonmouth is the tail. A water moc's tail doesn't taper that long and nicely, it's a lot more abrupt. We found a nest of several yellow bellied water snakes today in my backyard. They must've been there from all the rain which swelled the Brook behind our place.

I am trying...or maybe I’ve become a snek nerd. When I bought property in east Tx, I knew I needed to learn my sneks. I hate cottonmouths, copperheads, and rattlesneks. 

Those are the only ones that really deserve it. But check your boots and sleeping bags for corals.

Those are the only ones that really deserve it. But check your boots and sleeping bags for corals.

Who doesn’t love some coral bedazzled boots?!

This gal I follow on Instagram who moved to Israel for work took this picture asking for an ID. Told her it was a Horned Desert Viper. From what I found online it seems about as venomous a cottonmouth, or rather typical bite won’t kill a healthy adult. Not the best photo, but pretty cool.

eSXQZTV_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Looks like folks are 0/2 on this page in identifying water moccasins. 

Rattlers, coral snakes, and copperheads are easy.  Water moccasins, on the other hand, are frequently misidentified because there are several large dark snakes (lulz) that look similar and will sometimes flatten their heads to look "triangular" when threatened.  If they are in the water, moccasins are very easy to identify given the way the swim.  Their bodies will float, even if they are barely moving, and they will often hold their head up out of the water, like this:

Water-Moccasin-300x220.jpg

If they are on land, look at their heads.  Moccasins have a very distinct, "blocky" or angular head.  Don't look for a triangular shape when viewed from above.  Lots of snakes can do that, even if they are not vipers.  Look how the ridges make their heads almost look rectangular or block-like in shape:

1200px-Florida_Water_Moccasin_056.jpg

watermoccasin1.jpg

5fae03f9e8cd8cc84d6e6e267f28e074.jpg

You can also look at their length.  Moccasins are short, fat snakes, and their tails taper off fairly quickly.  If you see a big, long snake, like this on a branch, it's not a moccasin:

920x920.jpg

Also, not a moccasin despite the triangular head:

maxresdefault.jpg

You can of course also tell by looking at their eyes (slit=bad, round=ok) if you can get close enough.  Hope this helps someone.  

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Rattlers, coral snakes, and copperheads are easy.  Water moccasins, on the other hand, are frequently misidentified because there are several large dark snakes (lulz) that look similar and will sometimes flatten their heads to look "triangular" when threatened.  If they are in the water, moccasins are very easy to identify given the way the swim.  Their bodies will float, even if they are barely moving, and they will often hold their head up out of the water, like this:

If they are on land, look at their heads.  Moccasins have a very distinct, "blocky" or angular head.  Don't look for a triangular shape when viewed from above.  Lots of snakes can do that, even if they are not vipers.  Look how the ridges make their heads almost look rectangular or block-like in shape:

watermoccasin1.jpg

You can also look at their length.  Moccasins are short, fat snakes, and their tails taper off fairly quickly.  If you see a big, long snake, like this on a branch, it's not a moccasin:

920x920.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

You can of course also tell by looking at their eyes (slit=bad, round=ok) if you can get close enough.  Hope this helps someone.  

But, but, I've already pulled the trigger if I'm close enough to see their eyes

• Like 2

Fuck this thread.  Fuck the videos.  Fuck the pictures.  Fuck the little ass snake in the weep hole.  Fuck the rattlers crawling around on the guys as if they were kittens snuggling up to them.

Fuck my future nightmares.

Fuck you, fuck you, and fuck you.  Who's next?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

Fuck this thread.  Fuck the videos.  Fuck the pictures.  Fuck the little ass snake in the weep hole.  Fuck the rattlers crawling around on the guys as if they were kittens snuggling up to them.

Fuck my future nightmares.

Fuck you, fuck you, and fuck you.  Who's next?

You forgot your mom. Fuck her with a trouser snek

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

watermoccasin1.jpg

920x920.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks for this...the pictures are very helpful.  Always have a difficult time telling the difference.  Now have some marks to look for.

17 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Also regarding identifying cottonmouths, they almost always have a horizontal line of lighter scales behind their eyes.

They also do not have the vertical stripes around the mouth area that many non-venomous snakes have (shown well in the pictures above).