¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

I may have to drain the tub, jack it up, and do it that way.  I've tried snake repellant, squirrel repellant, I've sprayed bleach under the tub, and I've significantly reduced the field mice by bopping them on the head.  I'm leaving my trusty potato rake by the back door in case I get lucky again.  That photo was taken in the 12 inch space between the tub and the back wall of the house.  My wife was standing at the back porch, unlocking the door and saw him out of the corner of her eye. 

Sulfur or moth balls

Don't be regarded

Interesting. Growing up that's what the old folks used. So I assumed that it worked.

We used sulfur in our chicken coops and moth balls in all the storage sheds. Still use moth balls in all the storage places.

Maybe these are just dumb snakes.

I use snake away in the yard and garden, with no problems. As far as I know.

This thread is one of the few internet things that changed my actions. I've actually taken the time to look at the head before I shoot. And if it's outside the gunline, I'm good. I'll still scream like a bitch, though.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:

Interesting. Growing up that's what the old folks used. So I assumed that it worked.

We used sulfur in our chicken coops and moth balls in all the storage sheds. Still use moth balls in all the storage places.

Maybe these are just dumb snakes.

I use snake away in the yard and garden, with no problems. As far as I know.

This thread is one of the few internet things that changed my actions. I've actually taken the time to look at the head before I shoot. And if it's outside the gunline, I'm good. I'll still scream like a bitch, though.

You can use it all you want. It just won't repel or get rid of snakes

4 hours ago, That Guy said:

Who dis?

505A1293-4419-4BE0-9DEA-526461D381D8.jpeg

D1D81D31-28B2-4DD2-B0B6-D5E12465D38C.jpeg

Watch out! When they have that solid black color pattern, they just seem so much more menacing  /no rascist. 

A long time ago, one my high school summer jobs was land surveying. Lot of ranch lands, creeks, drainage areas, etc.  Can confirm definitely water moccasins in Travis county and surrounding areas. 

One of the most vivid memories I have is of my mother wielding a hoe to frantically chop a cottonmouth, which had come up to our back porch, into many pieces, all while screaming that we should stay away from the head: “Because it can still bite!”

Dallas. Joe’s Creek. Vinecrest.

Edited by Willfully Horn

6 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
9 hours ago, That Guy said:
Don’t really recall seeing one person  in Austin before. Thanks for the quick id!

That's a great find. Where in Austin are you? They've never been reported in Williamson county so I'm guessing somewhere south.

iNaturalist shows 20 observations of Cottonmouths in Williamson County.  All in the San Gabriel river basin and all around and to the east of Granger Lake.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

iNaturalist shows 20 observations of Cottonmouths in Williamson County.  All in the San Gabriel river basin and all around and to the east of Granger Lake.

yea iNaturalist is what i use.  i was replying to the Austin comment so was speaking to the Williamson County part of Austin. 

Y'all are funny.

Cottonmouths are not ugly snakes:

spacer.png

They don't chase people.  I know some of y'all will flat out refuse to believe that, but I would hope that some might trust me since I have handled so many of them.  Never once in my life of growing up around them.  They might be curious.  They might even be used to eating bait and approach people.  But chase, nope. 

Stinky?  Most snakes stink.  They musk as defense and stink like shit that has been zapped in a microwave.  But for me, one of the stinkiest is ribbon snakes. 

Venomous?  Yep.  To be respected?  Definitely.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Y'all are funny.

Cottonmouths are not ugly snakes:

spacer.png

They don't chase people.  I know some of y'all will flat out refuse to believe that, but I would hope that some might trust me since I have handled so many of them.  Never once in my life of growing up around them.  They might be curious.  They might even be used to eating bait and approach people.  But chase, nope. 

Stinky?  Most snakes stink.  They musk as defense and stink like shit that has been zapped in a microwave.  But for me, one of the stinkiest is ribbon snakes. 

Venomous?  Yep.  To be respected?  Definitely.

The rare exception, they're kinda fat, and dull colored usually. Just not what I'd call a beautiful snake.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:19 PM, gsoda3 said:

yea iNaturalist is what i use.  i was replying to the Austin comment so was speaking to the Williamson County part of Austin. 

Wait, what? Are you saying there are no cottonmouths in the Austin part of Williamson county? That’s ridiculous. Maybe I’m misreading what you are saying. 

Wait, what? Are you saying there are no cottonmouths in the Austin part of Williamson county? That’s ridiculous. Maybe I’m misreading what you are saying. 
Yes that's what I'm saying. iNaturalist has no listed sightings and the herp guys in the Central Texas Snake ID Facebook group I'm on always say the same thing.

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Yes that's what I'm saying. iNaturalist has no listed sightings and the herp guys in the Central Texas Snake ID Facebook group I'm on always say the same thing.

I disagree, but that is just me.  And a few hardcore herpers in Austin.  But not worth arguing about.

I disagree, but that is just me.  And a few hardcore herpers in Austin.  But not worth arguing about.
Yeah I was surprised to hear that too because I've always heard stories of people coming across them but the mods on that FB group keep pointing to iNaturalist whenever someone brings it up.

8 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
Yeah I was surprised to hear that too because I've always heard stories of people coming across them but the mods on that FB group keep pointing to iNaturalist whenever someone brings it up.

While iNaturalist is great, it isn’t absolute. A lot of herpers I know won’t post their sightings on that app out of fear people will start visiting areas to harvest or kill snakes and other animals they see. I won’t post bald Eagle nest locations. I’d bet the farm there are cottonmouths there.

Edited by Patricio Swayze

50 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Ya I’m combing thru my youth and I’m almost 100% sure I ran across cottonmouths in Williamson county. 

I’ve spent countless hours hanging around the spot where I saw that cottonmouth as well as other wet spots around Travis and Williamson county where I assumed they could be found. I like snakes. I look for them when I’m out and about. This is the first cottonmouth I’ve encountered. I’m not yet a man, but I’ve been around for a bit. My kids were there to see him, too. Now they can tell all the folks in the internet how they’ve seen a cottonmouth irl. Truth be told they were more excited about the turtle. That thing kicked ass. Also, apparently Austin charges to access the greenbelt nowadays. What a bunch of bitchasses. 

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don't disagree that they are probably around, but there are many more incorrectly identified snakes than there are actual Cottonmouths around this area.  I require a photo before I believe someone saw a Cottonmouth.  (much like the mountain lion sightings)

Actually it’s the neighborhood / list creek limited district that charges, not the city of austin. The hill of life greenbelt access in the nearby Woods of Westlake neighborhood is a bunch of bullshit. Hundreds upon hundreds of cars and greenbelters flood that neighborhood. It’s absolutely crazy over the weekends. Like a fucking festival going on. City of austin put that trail head in years ago and was supposed to temporary. From what I have heard, long game plan was to open major trailhead with parking at the property across from Barton creek mall but obviously, that’s never happened. So now the homeless get that tract all to themselves and the neighborhood has to deal with all the greenbelt traffic. It’s beyond ridiculous.  And it’s easy for someone unfamiliar with the situation to just say, oh those rich people in multi million dollar homes complaining etc, too bad.  But like I said, it’s beyond ridiculous.

Thread derail. Back to sneks.  

Saw some cool snakes at Abilene zoo this morning. That king cobra they have is huge. I thought for sure I was seeing more than one snake in there. Nope. It just kept going and going.

They’ve had some recent success in their breeding program with some threatened species. Some baby Mexican rattlers were on display.

Tough to get good pictures behind the glass.

d499710dd07d883e499dd8d3ef3eed18.jpg

394c7bd4238208a359d3b4a5c2e0a608.jpg
63c1c49cad685b3cc2bbaa2aa6003e37.jpg
b4fe3a4c2f31a02726b67446d6e9e9ce.jpg
d532736b4609d9438ddb6827660ed777.jpg
f7433632c90f97ce1bdcbf40bf676dba.jpg
54fd60d96d78dbcdcc029957d577f05b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5