¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

Look I respek you guys that feel like all sneks should be free to roam the earth unmolested but if I see a cottonmouth or copperhead I’m dispatching those fuckers with all haste. Not sure why but that’s just how I feel. I bought a place in Sonora a few years ago and have seen a few rattlesnakes, cause they live there you know. I probably won’t dispatch one unless it’s a me or snek situation. But moccasins and copperheads, fuck em.
Coral snakes are beautiful and I would never kill one.

What does your husband think about cottonmouths and copperheads?
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

In 2016 we went to some park down in Sugar Land that was some sort of wildlife preserve. Can’t remember the name. It had a small pond on it. As we walked around the pond four snakes literally came at us from the water, swimming from the water to the edge, and then following us as we walked around the pond. One of them even exited the water and tried to follow us on land. It was bizarre as hell. Back then, I wasn’t good at ID’ing snakes like I am now, so they were either plain bellied water snakes or cottonmouths. Not sure which. 

i would think they're pbws or dbws.  cottonmouths avoid each other. 

On 6/26/2021 at 12:56 AM, fattyflattie said:

I’ve had this happen several times both wading and drifting in boat.  They are just looking for a spot to stop and rest.  Doesn’t make it feel any better in that moment though. 

Same.  Been in a paddle boat, slowly underway, while fishing.  Had one come from about 15 yards behind us and get into the flat, aft part of the boat that was even with the water.  Probably coming because we had fish on a stringer or maybe to just say, "Hi," and get some sun.  Nonetheless, we're moving away from him, snek came to us, bold as can be.  Is it anecdotal?  Yes.  It's burned into my memory, in fact.   I was there.  It happened.  I don't need to research what the experts who weren't in the boat with me and my dad that day say.  I understand that most of the water moccasins out there probably are a bit more reserved, but that doesn't mean there haven't been situations outside of that norm.

Still, I respect the snek.  We didn't kill that little bugger that day.  But it was a puckery type moment using the shotgun barrel to coax him back into the water.  My philosophy is to leave them alone and observe from a healthy distance.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 8:28 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I have caught a dozen that look like that.

I would even argue that the all black ones are cool as shit looking.

They do look kind of murdered out.  There's still a pattern, but it's sort of masked by the dark.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

They done got rattlesnakes out at Steiner Ranch. Fucker didn’t ever rattle either.  Second non-rattling rattlesnake I’ve come across whilst hiking. Heard they are evolving to not rattle because it gets them killed by hoomans. Any truth to that?

9FC46C00-F63F-4BC3-B12F-5F533CE9C9B2.jpeg

704AFC00-F4BB-4DD9-B377-A1FB9DCCE712.jpeg

Only time I have heard a rattler rattle is when they're coiled up or starting to; that is, they feel threatened.  

They don't just cruise around rattling for the hell of it.  That feller looks to be on the move and yet to be threatened.

DId it stop and coil up?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Only time I have heard a rattler rattle is when they're coiled up or starting to; that is, they feel threatened.  

They don't just cruise around rattling for the hell of it.  That feller looks to be on the move and yet to be threatened.

DId it stop and coil up?

Nope. But considering I had two dogs with me and it was clearly aware of our presence, I’m surprised it did nothing. 

They done got rattlesnakes out at Steiner Ranch. Fucker didn’t ever rattle either.  Second non-rattling rattlesnake I’ve come across whilst hiking. Heard they are evolving to not rattle because it gets them killed by hoomans. Any truth to that?

9FC46C00-F63F-4BC3-B12F-5F533CE9C9B2.thumb.jpeg.6ac82b2e241aad927dd9b21b4de74051.jpeg
704AFC00-F4BB-4DD9-B377-A1FB9DCCE712.thumb.jpeg.90bf74e6c6b62853a2b49e7a98e70935.jpeg

Don’t know if there’s any truth to it, but that’s resulted in the only time I’ve killed a rattler in my adult life. Fucker was in my favorite dove hunting spot. I walked right up on him, and after a few seconds he gave one tiny little click. Scared the bejesus outta me. He got blasted in the face for not respecting the rules. If he’d given me a proper buzz, I woulda given him space and encouragement to mosey off somewhere else. Definitely felt guilty afterwards, but I won’t tolerate a flagrant disregard for common courtesy like that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Smart. Gotta lay the groundwork for the inevitable insurance claim for all your guns lost in a boating accident

To be clear, this is on a paddle boat on a private stock pond.  We weren't packing heat in a fishing boat on Lake Travis or some such nonsense.

On 6/27/2021 at 1:13 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I'm skeptical. But if true, predation by feral hogs would exert more evolutionary pressure than humans, I would think.