¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

• 2 weeks later...

Went out to snake road with homesickhorn today. Saw several dead dekays brown snakes and a dead ribbon. Only one live ribbon and then as I was heading home, saw a big ass prairie kingsnake. I jumped out and grabbed it. He was acting a bit odd, but moving normal. A couple of minutes later he started to bleed from its mouth. It wasn’t obvious it had been clipped by a car, but that is likely what happened. Homesick took it with him holding to drop it off at a wildlife rescue place, but it died in transit. Bummer, beautiful snake. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0ad373a1ed0e612ae8798805b066ebb4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.14d97a551ddbcd01cccf34c6c5311eb4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5b57d654423bbe6a7320de498e7081cd.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I got her in that little transport container, she curled up, got comfortable, but she ended up checking out.  I stopped twice to check on her and she was still breathing.  Unfortunately, she didn't make it back to the house.  Don't know why, but I'm still pretty upset about it.  Gorgeous snake.  Poor girl.

Edited by Homesickhorn
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

On 3/5/2022 at 7:12 PM, Homesickhorn said:

I got her in that little transport container, she curled up, got comfortable, but she ended up checking out.  I stopped twice to check on her and she was still breathing.  Unfortunately, she didn't make it back to the house.  Don't know why, but I'm still pretty upset about it.  Gorgeous snake.  Poor girl.

Thanks to you both for trying.  Sneks like these make the world a better place.  Sorry we lost her.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/rare-snake-grows-8-feet-found-alabama-only-second-time-60-years-rcna20868

i was an idiot as a kid. hell, i am an idiot now but much more so as a kid. had bb gun, would kill and try to kill anything with a heartbeat. why? why not? have bb gun, will shoot.

i remember a buddy killed an indigo snake that we found under a board. i've shot and killed many things in my youth. even though i didn't pull the trigger, that is one of my biggest regrets. that thing was beautiful. if it makes it any better, we skinned it, dried it and he made a belt out of it. 

On 3/1/2022 at 3:32 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Dude’s got some freeloaders. 

On 3/5/2022 at 6:56 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Went out to snake road with homesickhorn today. Saw several dead dekays brown snakes and a dead ribbon. Only one live ribbon and then as I was heading home, saw a big ass prairie kingsnake. I jumped out and grabbed it. He was acting a bit odd, but moving normal. A couple of minutes later he started to bleed from its mouth. It wasn’t obvious it had been clipped by a car, but that is likely what happened. Homesick took it with him holding to drop it off at a wildlife rescue place, but it died in transit. Bummer, beautiful snake. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0ad373a1ed0e612ae8798805b066ebb4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.14d97a551ddbcd01cccf34c6c5311eb4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5b57d654423bbe6a7320de498e7081cd.jpeg

That normal to find a bunch of dead snakes out there? Seems odd. Any chance it could be some asshole running around clubbing snakes?

Saw this guy crossing the road in the Big Cypress Preserve just west of the Everglades when I was out there last week.  He was probably about 5 feet long.  I'm wondering if it's a Burmese python but I can't tell for sure.  I didn't get a great look and obviously it's not a great picture either.  Opinions?

https://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/upload/Python_FINAL_HIRES.pdf

P3172613 (2).JPG

Edited by WBT

Been meaning to stop at this falling down structure along Texas 35 near Austwell for awhile. Lots of tin on the ground and knew there would be snakes. Was hoping for a Kingsnake or maybe a western diamondback. Found this absolutely massive cottonmouth. Without a doubt the largest I have come across. Can’t really see the length in the photo, but the girth is there. Something something south Austin’s mom. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3f19e4609326699c422ae60cce72e302.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

On 4/1/2022 at 1:13 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Been meaning to stop at this falling down structure along Texas 35 near Austwell for awhile. Lots of tin on the ground and knew there would be snakes. Was hoping for a Kingsnake or maybe a western diamondback. Found this absolutely massive cottonmouth. Without a doubt the largest I have come across. Can’t really see the length in the photo, but the girth is there. Something something south Austin’s mom. 

I bet that fat fucker lowers the striking distance average.

Did it run after you?

• Like 1

This past October we had about 11" of rain in two days. Front yard was flooded af. During the middle of the deluge at about 8pm, I started to step out on the front porch to cook one. I opened the front door and happened to look down before walking out (which I normally don't do) and there was a Copperhead at the door opening coiled and ready to strike. If I had taken half a step outside (I was barefooted) he would have nailed me. Quickly closed the door and hollered to the wife to bring me something to kill the serpent with. She brought me a plastic fucking dustpan.

• Haha 3

On 3/21/2022 at 1:20 PM, crash_davis said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/rare-snake-grows-8-feet-found-alabama-only-second-time-60-years-rcna20868

i was an idiot as a kid. hell, i am an idiot now but much more so as a kid. had bb gun, would kill and try to kill anything with a heartbeat. why? why not? have bb gun, will shoot.

Guilty......

cf7534290dcd9582642438f7725567b0.gif

Started the day taking my daughters to the Houston Zoo.  Of course the reptile list is a priority for every visit.  But trying to wrangle my kids and take pictures, I forgot to get the names of the species.  Pretty obvious which is a rattler though.  All iphone photos and obviously through glass.

spacer.png

4wzhflx1 o

Fph1loz0 o

Then I went for a hike with my dad to look for some snakes and owls to photograph.  One ribbon and no owls.  Decided to hit a flip spot because a kid I told about it found a ringneck there today.  Of course, when I get there, no ringneck.  Two rather large ribbons, but I didn't take any photos.  Did one pass on snake road and saw this juvenile nerodia.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1