¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

4 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Thanks for not deep tining that snake whatever it is.

I don’t kill if I don’t plan on eating it or it’s a pest/threat. Since he didn’t bite me when he clearly had a chance, I figured I’d return the favor. 

• Like 2

On 4/25/2022 at 3:51 PM, UT_OB1 said:

I don’t kill if I don’t plan on eating it or it’s a pest/threat. Since he didn’t bite me when he clearly had a chance, I figured I’d return the favor. 

Congrats on finding the one snake in Braz that’s not a water moccasin. When my folks bought their place down there, one of the pastures was overgrown and under about 8” of water. Really shitty drainage we later fixed. Anyhow, I lost count of how many moccasins I shredded when I was mowing that swamp for the first time.   Some of those thicc fuckers would knock the pto rpm down for a second.  They were just everywhere, unavoidable if you wanted to save them. 

On 4/30/2022 at 10:13 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Went out to Snek Rd. tonight.  Nothing for the hour leading up to sunset, then boom, snek time.  Within 15 minutes, 3 cottonmouths, 1 nerodia, and 1 plains ratsnake that I lost in the tall grass before I got a shot. 

I wish I had a snek road.  Cottonmouth doesn't look very big.  Did it still have a yellow/green tail?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, I can’t guarantee anything. But there is a road that is near Canyonlands called Cow Creek road. Looks like it could have potential.

I know that road.  I'll have to check it out.  What characteristics do you like about it?  Remote, Hill Country, and nearby water source?

Just pulled up iNaturalist and see that there are plenty of snakes marked on that road - several copperheads and a couple cottonmouths, too.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 1

I know that road.  I'll have to check it out.  What characteristics do you like about it?  Remote, Hill Country, and nearby water source?
Just pulled up iNaturalist and see that there are plenty of snakes marked on that road - several copperheads and a couple cottonmouths, too.

Everything you listed. I would think after a rain at dusk would produce something. Ideally with air temp being above 72. I would think many species could be found there. But obviously it’s a lot of driving slow, back and forth. Sometimes I get nothing, other days double digits.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Lulz. What kind of hillbilly Jack off eats a copperhead?

Times are really tough, I guess. I don't see how you guys do it.

I'm concerned that he had his wife(in flip flops) and young daughter in that vicinity. Fuck the cat, though.

36 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

What the fuck is this and do I need to kill it?

0AE8D640-C2E6-42B6-969B-684F22CED0DC.jpeg

Despite the bad quality picture I am confident it is a non-venomous water snake, likely a plain bellied water snake, from the body shape, color, eye position, head shape, and labial bars.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Thanks for the responses. I haven’t seen him since, but he was big. My neighbor found a 5 foot long skin in his yard that I assume he recently shedded

They can get big, but 5 ft is a giant nerodia. Keep in mind their shedded skins stretch, so your boy might have given snek the benefit of the doubt. I’ll try and find the pic I took about three years ago of the one at the LBJ boat launch who had just eaten what looked like an NFL regulation size football.

Just saw my snek again and it is fucking big. Too big to be this close to my house. Couldn’t get a pic because I was trying to keep my dog away from him. I know where he’s hiding though 

Are you in Austin? If you want to get it removed but not killed, send me a DM. I know a guy that might be able to help in Austin if you are in Houston, I can come grab it. I’d you are in Dallas, well fuck you. I do t go to Oklahoma for anything.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Been mountain biking pretty regular but have not seen the usual ration of snek this year.  Just a nerodia, a racer of some type (I think, it was  . . . racing away), and a rough? green.  Not a single copperboi, although I have heard reports.

That also includes ded snek, so that's nice.

I guess the abrupt change from pretty cool and damp to hot af has kept them hidden.

Edited by TwiceHorn