¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

I’ve had very little luck this season. Took several walks in spots I have found numerous species in the past couple of years and basically nothing. One diamondback watersnake and a couple of rat snake skins. Next Friday I hope to find something interesting and get a few shots.

I realize my lack of luck is actually lucky for most of you ladies.

• Like 3

I’ve had very little luck this season. Took several walks in spots I have found numerous species in the past couple of years and basically nothing. One diamondback watersnake and a couple of rat snake skins. Next Friday I hope to find something interesting and get a few shots.

I realize my lack of luck is actually lucky for most of you ladies.

They’re social distancing.

On 4/11/2020 at 1:41 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Dang your pic? I've still never seen one in the wild 

I've been lucky enough to see two. One was when I was on a walk with Mrs. CHIEF down to the waterfall on Bull Creek right off of 360. The other one was up at Stillhouse Hollow one time. I feel pretty lucky, apparently coral snake sightings are really rare in central Texas.

CHIEF

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I've been lucky enough to see two. One was when I was on a walk with Mrs. CHIEF down to the waterfall on Bull Creek right off of 360. The other one was up at Stillhouse Hollow one time. I feel pretty lucky, apparently coral snake sightings are really rare in central Texas.

CHIEF

My neighbor killed one in his back yard a few days ago (NE Austin). It was definitely a coral; "red touch yellow." I've never seen one outside of a zoo. 

23 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

We live near Bull Creek and 360.  Corals are a fairly regular sighting around here.  So are rattlers and copperheads.

Made a new friend today.  Nearly stepped on him.  Guessing about 1-2 years old as its tell was no longer green but was only about 2 ft long.  Beautiful coloration.

49799497716_868d2696ed_b.jpg

49799497836_59b64d9582_b.jpg

This afternoon a racer (looked like a yellowbellied but also kind of looked like a buttermilk) got away from me in a field.  Same place I have caught racers before.  He was about 3 ft or more and fast as fuck.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Made a new friend today.  Nearly stepped on him.  Guessing about 1-2 years old as its tell was no longer green but was only about 2 ft long.  Beautiful coloration.

This afternoon a racer (looked like a yellowbellied but also kind of looked like a buttermilk) got away from me in a field.  Same place I have caught racers before.  He was about 3 ft or more and fast as fuck.

Man what a beauty

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Really great shots. How close were you to get these? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Damn it! Been looking for those. Should have picked one up and got a shot of the belly scales.

Shouldn't be a problem. They are everywhere around my house. My property includes an abandoned quarry. You can't turn over a rock without exposing one of these.

11 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Thanks. Maybe 3 ft. Snake was less than 2ft long, so not within striking distance. But I have yet to have a copperhead strike at me. Most people get bit because they step on them.

I think copperheads are a simply gorgeous snake. The colors, and patterns are so bold, yet they hide them so fucking well among the leaves on the ground.  

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2