¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

That's dope but I think part of my fear is I don't ever remember handling a snake of any kind in my life. I don't even remember the last time I saw a snake outside so my fear is not warranted at all but to me guys like Patricio and the rest might as well be Steve Irwin (alive)

That's dope but I think part of my fear is I don't ever remember handling a snake of any kind in my life. I don't even remember the last time I saw a snake outside so my fear is not warranted at all but to me guys like Patricio and the rest might as well be Steve Irwin (alive)

You need to see a hognose in person. Quite possibly the wimpiest snake in Texas.

Heading to the coast this weekend. Doubt I will get time to myself to look for snakes, but maybe with a little luck I will come up with a speckled, buzz worm and maybe an indigo. But not holding my breath.

Oh, and that rubber boa looks cool as hell.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Racers are cool. Hard to catch. I have flipped Coachwhips and grabbed them. Also managed to grab a couple of yellow bellies racers in fields. But it wasn’t easy haha. They are all up thread but can repost.

I want to know the top speed of a coachwhip. We see them at our ranch for seconds at a time. I swear we have a 6' coachwhip I have seen maybe a dozen times for a total of 5 seconds. Those fuckers haul ass. Not sure how you could possibly catch one.

I want to know the top speed of a coachwhip. We see them at our ranch for seconds at a time. I swear we have a 6' coachwhip I have seen maybe a dozen times for a total of 5 seconds. Those fuckers haul ass. Not sure how you could possibly catch one.

I’m not sure, but let’s just say fast as fuck. The only ones I have caught were under boards I flipped. Pretty easy to get them like that. In an open field, I’m not that quick.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

You need to see a hognose in person. Quite possibly the wimpiest snake in Texas.

Heading to the coast this weekend. Doubt I will get time to myself to look for snakes, but maybe with a little luck I will come up with a speckled, buzz worm and maybe an indigo. But not holding my breath.

Oh, and that rubber boa looks cool as hell.

An indigo is at the top of my list. Badass snake.

During some reading trying to figure out what that big black snake was I found out that handling any wild snake in Georgia is illegal. I did not know that.

As an aside I’ll say watching a big black rat snake climb right up the side of a tree is really fucking cool. Saw one do that once at a house out in the country and it was going after some baby birds. It got way up the tree before it found out the birds were in the next tree over.

Back in middle school, I traded a Texas alligator lizard for a six foot coachwhip. Coachwhip eventually got loose in my buddy's garage and he was never seen again. Should have kept the lizard.

I also got called out of 6th grade language arts by the principal. The librarian heard noises coming from my locker. It was just a bag of toads I'd brought to feed the hognose snakes. The teacher wasn't in his class before school - where else would you put a bag of toads, but your locker?

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m not sure, but let’s just say fast as fuck. The only ones I have caught were under boards I flipped. Pretty easy to get them like that. In an open field, I’m not that quick.

I could see that.  In an open field you could be Usain bolt and not catch those badasses. I was running down the road at 30mph on a atv and thought I hit one. I looked after slamming on my brakes. Looked over and 20yds away it went over some rocks into the cover. I am talking 10 seconds max from seeing it till poof, gone. I love those sneks

• Like 1

Back in middle school, I traded a Texas alligator lizard for a six foot coachwhip. Coachwhip eventually got loose in my buddy's garage and he was never seen again. Should have kept the lizard.

I also got called out of 6th grade language arts by the principal. The librarian heard noises coming from my locker. It was just a bag of toads I'd brought to feed the hognose snakes. The teacher wasn't in his class before school - where else would you put a bag of toads, but your locker?

Damn we had very different lockers

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Not a bunch of sneks in Uptown.

Speaking of ratsneks. Crossposted from my chicken thread.

My son found him yesterday evening in the chicken tractor when we checked on them at an unusual time. He had a very sneaky hiding place where neither the humans nor the chickens could see him. 

I hated to kill a pretty ratsnake like that but I suspect he has been coming and going for some time and is the reason my chickens in that coop have been "underproducing" eggs all spring.

IMG_4144.thumb.jpg.6cf394eab1f9a1a89629cebc617ee031.jpg

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Snekky hiding place

Yes, the nest boxes are attached to the back door and rest on top of that wooden strip so that they are elevated for drainage. When the door is closed there's about an inch or so of space under those plastic boxes, right where he's laying. Chickens probably came in and laid eggs right on top of him.

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

7 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Yes, the nest boxes are attached to the back door and rest on top of that wooden strip so that they are elevated for drainage. When the door is closed there's about an inch or so of space under those plastic boxes, right where he's laying. Chickens probably came in and laid eggs right on top of him.

Gotta like his sneaky, snek, style....

• Like 1

I've got a video of me catching an indigo on a quail hunt about 7yrs ago.  I actually posted it on Facebook, but took it down shortly after my game warden friend sent me a text instructing me to do so.  I guess I could post it here, but still have no idea how to post vids that aren't on a host site.

21 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Does he go dancing?

Has crimson found his stash of root beer to be diminishing more quickly?

Inquiring minds wanna know!

Considering he was in the coop with the chickens that lay the most expensive eggs, I suspect that motherfucker owes me about $50 going back to February.

Guess I shouldn't have killed him, should have just hired Rocky to break his thumbs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Considering he was in the coop with the chickens that lay the most expensive eggs, I suspect that motherfucker owes me about $50 going back to February.

Guess I shouldn't have killed him, should have just hired Rocky to break his thumbs. 

Tends to be what happens when you send Jules and Vincent into the scene.

Probably for the best. That snek would have been back, and sometimes a nuisance kill is warranted.

While out riding a few days ago I came around a corner and noticed a long and fat snake crossing the trail. I grabbed a handful of throttle and ran right over it. Friend behind me said it landed right in front of him in the roost and then slithered away. Though mofo.

Took my girls down to my parent’s neighborhood pier around 8pm today. On the way back, I was checking out the concrete that was used as a retention wall to for the lot along the road. I figured it would be a good spot for snakes. Sure enough, I see one. In the twilight, I though it might have been a buzz worm, but as I got closer, I saw it was a big hognose.

h1yRLk3T_o.jpeg

I wanted to show my daughters, so I started to pull him out from the rip rap, but sadly, he was dead. Guessing he got hit by a car on Fulton Beach Rd and managed to get to the rocks and die. Bummer.

P38VkM9G_o.jpeg

But, I am guessing there are more there and maybe some rattlers. Going to check it out more tomorrow.

I made a run to the ranch yesterday to grab the mule for some work it needed. I was driving down a county road and a truck was stopped in the middle door opened. When I got close I saw a lady dragging a huge rattler out of the road, then proceed to shoot it. She was cutting the head off it as I pulled around. I gues she wanted the skin. Country folks are serial.

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It looks to be a dark diamondback watersnake. However, there are a lot of water snakes (nerodia) and a lot of variation in color and pattern. Do a google image search of nerodia.

The head looks too triangular to be a diamondback watersnake, but I've been living in Idaho for 16 years now and haven't seen a cottonmouth or diamondback watersnake up close for at least that long.

Doesn't help that @wd40 apparently used a potato to take that picture.

The head looks too triangular to be a diamondback watersnake, but I've been living in Idaho for 16 years now and haven't seen a cottonmouth or diamondback watersnake up close for at least that long.

Doesn't help that [mention=1187]wd40[/mention] apparently used a potato to take that picture.

Nerodia flatten their heads to appear very triangular. You can’t use that as an identifier.

Here is an example

harmless_snake_head3.jpg

yeah, the digital zoom on my old SE isn't great, but the head was not flattened out irl.  the first thing that struck me was how stubby the tail is, compared to (other) water snakes I've seen.  not as fat as (other) mocs I've seen, but not slender at all.  and that keeled dorsal area...dunno.   google searches and comparisons are inconclusive, to me.

didn't kill it.  we were on a boat dock above it.  it watched us for a while, then slithered on into a hole under a rotten tree stump.  feel free to stick your hand in there and find out for sure, Swayze.

upper end of the lake, Hate.  little ways south of the Canyon of the Eagles LCRA park, off a private road.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Nerodia flatten their heads to appear very triangular. You can’t use that as an identifier.

True, but their lightly colored lower jaw protrudes when they do that. The pic you posted is a good example.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to tell due to the quality of wd's original photo.

Also, aren't watersnakes predominantly banded in pattern whereas cottonmouths are splotchy (like their copperhead cousins)? The pic seems to suggest more of the latter.

You're definitely more knowledgeable than I, and though I'm not sure a positive identification can be made one way or the other, I'd lean to Agkistrodon pisc.

Glad you didn't kill it, @wd40. Funny thing is, diamondback watersnakes are actually more aggressive (i.e., bitey) than cottonmouths.