¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

5 hours ago, NateHitch said:

What did you say to it?

First I asked it if it was gonna move. "You alright, snek?  You gonna move?"

The I said, "cmon buddy, get movin." And was getting ready to kick some dirt at it.  And off it went.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

b958eb32bb143f872850a9fd71144e2d.jpg

This Plain bellied water snek gave me a startle tonight. That corner of the house is where I normally coil the hose.

Rake got him under wife’s truck and water hose got him headed away from the garage.

That's not a Moc?

12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

So, best way to kill them all without military grade weapons. Seems they could escape simply setting the barn on fire. Mongoose not available in needed numbers. 

Surround shed with tannerite, fill in underneath.

Have someone hold beer.

Watch. This.

On 6/3/2020 at 10:37 AM, chitwood said:

I did not realize until very recently that the red/yellow rhyme for coral snakes only works for North American corals.  Other corals, including central and south america, have a different color scheme.  If you ask me, that is cheating.

It works for North American corals most of the time but there are aberrant specimens that break all the rules, kind like around here.

melanistic.jpg

Chris-Harrison-Micrurus_tener_albino-620

Micrurus-tener-Kristie-Doss-fixed.jpgRichard-Bartlett-Coral1.jpg

Dave-Strasser-Coral-3-620.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Pattern and tail look like a hognose. But seems large. I’m about to pass through dripping right now. Struck out again on rattlers this morning. Not even a damn Ratsnake or coachwhip.

I feel like you should have a show on tv. And your photography is amazing

• Like 2

Pattern and tail look like a hognose. But seems large. I’m about to pass through dripping right now. Struck out again on rattlers this morning. Not even a damn Ratsnake or coachwhip.

Big Mama Hognose

3c8c87860711d0eb29d400bfb7e94bb8.jpg

The wife is a city slicker that wanted a horse and she cannot abide a snake. They killed a rat snake on their patio that was going for the egg-filled bird’s nest a few weeks ago. I told her to be ready for the toad and rat invasion that’s coming now that they’ve dispatched those two snakes.

I'm thankful for this thread. I'm all about letting good sneks live, but that hognose looks for all the world like a copperhead to me. As I see more pictures of both, the differences in pattern are getting more clear, and I'm trying to be mindful and learn. But I can say that I might have killed it, too (hopefully I won't now).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

I'm thankful for this thread. I'm all about letting good sneks live, but that hognose looks for all the world like a copperhead to me. As I see more pictures of both, the differences in pattern are getting more clear, and I'm trying to be mindful and learn. But I can say that I might have killed it, too (hopefully I won't now).

Joining a snake id Facebook page really helps with learning to identify snakes.  There is a Central Texas Snake ID page which is quite good, but I'm sure there are pages all over.  A regional one is best to start because you will see the same types of local snakes over and over and begin to pick up traits for id.

They really don’t look that similar. Here is a reddish hognose and a copperhead.

570RRtn1_o.jpeg

QkVvrjZ4_o.jpeg
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

They really don’t look that similar. Here is a reddish hognose and a copperhead.

570RRtn1_o.jpeg

QkVvrjZ4_o.jpeg

That reddish hognose wouldn't have caused me confusion. But that's not at all what the hognose posted by Austinvines looks like. The one Austinvines posted is tan and brown, and the pattern resembles the hourglass markings of a copperhead (resembles being the key word). You can be a jerk about it, or you can support folks like me who logically  understand the need for good snakes, and understand their place in the ecosystem, but who also have kids and want to keep them safe.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Joining a snake id Facebook page really helps with learning to identify snakes.  There is a Central Texas Snake ID page which is quite good, but I'm sure there are pages all over.  A regional one is best to start because you will see the same types of local snakes over and over and begin to pick up traits for id.

Is there one you can recommend for Austin / the hill country?

2 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Central Texas Snake ID.

thanks - just submitted my join request.

It's been a VERY active season around our neighborhood (SW austin, off of SW Parkway). 3-4 baby rattlers, 3-4 adult corals, and more rat and garter snakes than I can ever remember. We've got a good group of parents (dads and moms) that look out for the good snakes, and this can only help.

• Like 1

That reddish hognose wouldn't have caused me confusion. But that's not at all what the hognose posted by Austinvines looks like. The one Austinvines posted is tan and brown, and the pattern resembles the hourglass markings of a copperhead (resembles being the key word). You can be a jerk about it, or you can support folks like me who logically  understand the need for good snakes, and understand their place in the ecosystem, but who also have kids and want to keep them safe.

I was being a jerk? Ok.

15 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

You can be a jerk about it, or you can support folks like me who logically  understand the need for good snakes, and understand their place in the ecosystem, but who also have kids and want to keep them safe.

Going to nitpick here at the risk of being a "jerk:" All indigenous snakes are good snakes, even the venomous ones. Just because they are cold-blooded reptiles doesn't mean they are hiding in the shadows, plotting your demise.

The vast majority of people who get envenomated were being stupid or careless, e.g., not watching where they stepped or freehandling rattlers in front of friends.

Education is the best way to be safe. Learn your venomous snakes, respect all species, look where you step, etc.

The FB group you joined seems like a good start. Hope to see more pics of what you observe.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Going to nitpick here at the risk of being a "jerk:" All indigenous snakes are good snakes, even the venomous ones. Just because they are cold-blooded reptiles doesn't mean they are hiding in the shadows, plotting your demise.

The vast majority of people who get envenomated were being stupid or careless, e.g., not watching where they stepped or freehandling rattlers in front of friends.

Education is the best way to be safe. Learn your venomous snakes, respect all species, look where you step, etc.

The FB group you joined seems like a good start. Hope to see more pics of what you observe.

No, very much not a jerk - appreciate the insight. I fully agree, and we don't go hunting venomous snakes. Even the coral snakes we've found in the wilder parts of the neighborhood get left alone. However, in neighborhoods, when found around my house, means that if I leave them alone, they'll be back around my house at some point. Those snakes have to die, because I cannot guarantee that my 5yo is capable of watching where she steps, or not sticking her hand into a shrub, or even just playing in a shady spot where a baby rattler might be coiled up away from the heat (happened yesterday to the neighbors across the street, their dog found one).

• Like 1