¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

On 6/13/2020 at 8:33 PM, markstanco said:

Western rat snek? Or water snek?

Relocated to a creek behind the house.
a0a2562d105d36f9bee27c5e0adc53c0.jpg3ef147203ea468d9e2add72b35c5c954.jpg

Western Rat Snake. A dark adult specimen.

43 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Wife and I went scouting for Indian Paintbrush to transplant this fall and ran across this fellow. It was still cool so he wasn't real active. I had to come to a complete stop so he could get across the road.

IMG-20200613-080709107.jpg

Bullsnake.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

How do you tell the difference between a bull snake and gopher snake?

Nevermind. I see the difference. I thought they were synonymous, but apparently gopher is a subspecies of bullsnake.

According to KSU they are one and the same. I never felt strongly enough to look any further.

A bullsnake is in the Pituophis genus with gophersnakes and pinesnakes. They all look fairly similar. And technically a bullsnake is a subspecies of gophersnake, so not all gophersnakes are bullsnakes, but all bullsnakes are gophersnakes. All are very large powerful constrictors and are amongst the largest snakes in North America. Maybe not as long as an Indigo but pretty close. They eat pretty much whatever they can get a hold of. Big ones can have a pretty salty disposition and bow up like a rattlesnake and vibrate their tail when annoyed. Generally speaking, we have (Sonoran) gophersnakes in far west Texas (and on into the Pacific coast) and pinesnakes in East Texas (and on into the south east even as far as into the Mid-Atlantic), and bullsnakes in between (and the states north of us).

• Like 4

Made a quick trip to Galveston after not finding Osprey and Swallow-tailed Kites in Clearlake. Hoped I would flip a rattlesnake, but ended up doing a welfare check on the two coachwhips I found recently. The big one was in shed again and kept spinning around, ultimately removing most of the old scales to show a brilliant salmon color. Put both back where I found them.

P8xPnD1U_o.jpeg

AjH67NRU_o.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Made a quick trip to Galveston after not finding Osprey and Swallow-tailed Kites in Clearlake. Hoped I would flip a rattlesnake, but ended up doing a welfare check on the two coachwhips I found recently. The big one was in shed again and kept spinning around, ultimately removing most of the old scales to show a brilliant salmon color. Put both back where I found them.

Hey, scro, why you gotta hate it when anyone else gets in on a snake?

Naw, seriously, good-looking specimens. Keep hearing the Rawhide theme in my head when looking at your coachwhip pics.

• Like 1

Hey, scro, why you gotta hate it when anyone else gets in on a snake?
Naw, seriously, good-looking specimens. Keep hearing the Rawhide theme in my head when looking at your coachwhip pics.

Yeah, I just hate it. Can’t stand it. Lulz. What a shit stirring basement dweller.

It’s funny that both times that big mother was in shed. Awesome color underneath. He was about 4.5’ at least.

In Palo Duro I happened upon a speckled king snake.  Much like this one.  A group of olds passed by and the womens walked right on by with disgust.  I tried telling the old dude who stopped to take a look he was good.  That equated to only garter snakes are good therefore it must be a garter snake then.  Didn't try and correct the old, he's lived this long.  

ei9spu2pBl9dtU0Xolh3TsX5ACVWcn4Wbql7e_kE

• Like 4

Went to a pond in Cypress hoping to get some good shots of the resident Osprey. Of course he wasn’t there. The area seems like prime habitat for rough green snakes. I love those little dudes, but have yet to see one this year. Just like the Osprey, no luck.

So I walked over to the creek knowing I would probably see a water snake, and sure enough, two of them. A broad banded and a diamondback. The broad banded bit me and the diamondback tried.

7UCmMD3N_o.jpeg

RJKlyeIn_o.jpeg

dAQPMUtq_o.jpeg

feUntQfB_o.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Went to a pond in Cypress hoping to get some good shots of the resident Osprey. Of course he wasn’t there. The area seems like prime habitat for rough green snakes. I love those little dudes, but have yet to see one this year. Just like the Osprey, no luck.

So I walked over to the creek knowing I would probably see a water snake, and sure enough, two of them. A broad banded and a diamondback. The broad banded bit me and the diamondback tried.

7UCmMD3N_o.jpeg

RJKlyeIn_o.jpeg

dAQPMUtq_o.jpeg

feUntQfB_o.jpeg

Back off warchild. Seriously.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

That's really cool.  Did you actually catch up with the snek to make the id or make an educated guess?

Caught up with him.  He was a biggun.  We have a LOT of indigo on our place on north bank of Frio and very few rattlers.  The south bank is plumb full of rattlers and very few indigo.  

go figure. 

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Caught up with him.  He was a biggun.  We have a LOT of indigo on our place on north bank of Frio and very few rattlers.  The south bank is plumb full of rattlers and very few indigo.  

go figure. 

This explains your avatar, lol.  I saw that sign going thru Uvalde a few weeks back.  haha!

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 10:38 AM, deadshank said:

Something wicked this way passes

A483DE73-900F-4A2B-A692-2E72D02A687F.jpeg

thanks for letting me hunt your place, sorry if my nuts dragged a little and scared you

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Indigo sexy time in the Frio. 

IMG_9629.MOV

that's cool, I'd love to see that in person

only time I've see a man levitate right out of a chair and run thru the air was when a big Indigo came from behind him and between the legs of his folding chair while dove hunting down in the free state of McMullen County 

1 minute ago, 4th and 5 said:

thanks for letting me hunt your place, sorry if my nuts dragged a little and scared you

that's cool, I'd love to see that in person

only time I've see a man levitate right out of a chair and run thru the air was when a big Indigo came from behind him and between the legs of his folding chair while dove hunting down in the free state of McMullen County 

Ha.  McMullen Co.   that’s where I used to hunt.  What ranch were you on?   We were on the old Wenzt place where Highway 99 dead ended at a pipe gate south of Choke Canyon. 

The couple of indigo I have been up close to didn't have the light colored belly, so I was looking that up.  I have a pic somewhere of me at Camp Longhorn in about 1980 with an indigo draped around my neck and shoulders.

Turns out one of their latin names is Drymarchon, meaning King of the Forest.  That's pretty cool.

• Like 1