¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

44 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am far from an expert, but depending on where you are and the size of the egg, those could be several species. Might be king snakes, might be Ratsnakes.

South Austin very near large wooded management area. Eggs are just about an inch long, maybe a tad shorter. I've seen plenty of rat snakes around, so that's why I was leaning that way.

Homesick and I went to the snake gettin place last night. We saw only one watersnake. Was really weird because usually there are a lot of them. So we started looking for sleeping rough green snakes. One thing is certain, homesick has an eye for schlange. He spotted several rough greens. I only caught a stinky ribbon.

zmOJaJNm_o.jpeg

Given the amount of water sneks we’d seen the previous times we were out there, just seeing one was extremely weird. Couple that with the fact that I whiffed twice with my new snek grabber 3000, I was glad we saw those greens. It also debunked the full moon theory.

I’ve got a perfect little half-circle between my middle and index fingers where that little asshole of a ribbon snek wouldn’t let go of me.

Here are some of what we’ve caught on previous trips.
f69bcace893d77c217f4d7e084cffe62.jpg
ef1a2f8beb7fc9a774704060fc336c7f.jpg
8acebc46cd591670713d7f35be785ce3.jpg
8ee57f70780d70a8d34d190f1a8673b2.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm going with Texas Indigo or Eastern Racer.  I think ratsnakes and kingsnakes have smooth eggs.  Although, that is a less than educated guess.

Are there Indigos in South Austin? I've killed 4 baby diamondbacks on our property, so we've got those. Seems the indogos would eat them up. Hell, I don't know.

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

Identifying a species from an egg is diificult at best. You could use a bright light to try to look thru the egg but those eggs don’t look viable. 

The eggs have already hatched, so no chance to try and identify. I'm going to confidently say rat snake to anyone who asks. If they argue with me, I'll just call them an idiot.

Now.....time for a Bud Light. Thank you gentlemen for your time and input.

• Hook 'Em 1

The eggs have already hatched, so no chance to try and identify. I'm going to confidently say rat snake to anyone who asks. If they argue with me, I'll just call them an idiot.
Now.....time for a Bud Light. Thank you gentlemen for your time and input.

I’d believe you...until I saw the Bud Light in your hand.

On 8/7/2020 at 12:09 AM, Homesickhorn said:
On 8/6/2020 at 11:29 PM, Patricio Swayze said:
Saw this buzzworm near Medicine Mound today. Head was crushed and rattle had been cut off.  

hoQHBf99_o.jpeg

How big? That’s horseshit, them leaving the body there.

What is the proper procedure?  Make a belt or a meal for nature?  I guess i would assume birds eating it is better than a dumpster?  

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

That is a dekay’s brown anaconda viper. Deadly. Don’t even look at it.

Knew it had to be deadly veen-o-mous !!!  Such a pretty little guy. He was very well mannered, even with my Shovel in his face as I was trying to move him to safety.

Dekays brown snek ?  correct ?

My yard has apparently become a snake haven. I’ve always had a decent sized rat snake living in one of my wood piles and another one that seems to be more of a nomad because I only see him every couple months. Now I’ve got what I think are two checkered garter snakes that had babies. Haven’t gotten a picture of the bigger one, but this is the second biggest (bout 2’). And I’ve seen a couple small ones around 8” over the past week or so. Tried to pick this one up and the little fucker struck at me

c80b2b404d39250f4b46130b8582b2d8.jpg
0be20ffca1ead43cca3dd0e522f08679.jpg

Kinda torn on whether to relocate them. We have a fucking shit ton of cool small frogs and lizards that I’d prefer over these guys.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

My yard has apparently become a snake haven. I’ve always had a decent sized rat snake living in one of my wood piles and another one that seems to be more of a nomad because I only see him every couple months. Now I’ve got what I think are two checkered garter snakes that had babies. Haven’t gotten a picture of the bigger one, but this is the second biggest (bout 2’). And I’ve seen a couple small ones around 8” over the past week or so. Tried to pick this one up and the little fucker struck at me

Kinda torn on whether to relocate them. We have a fucking shit ton of cool small frogs and lizards that I’d prefer over these guys.

I don't know for sure, but I imagine most folks have a garter or ribbon snek or two in their yard and also that you probably have a nice little ecosystem going on there with snek, frawg, and lizard balancing each other out and keeping the vermin low.  It appears, for example, that you have your shit ton of other reptiles coexisting with snek.  I doubt these fellers and their young are set to change that.

• Like 1

That’s a garden hose.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1