¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Walte464 said:

2 corral snakes within the same week, when I hadn’t seen 1 in years. I didn’t get a before pic on the first 1, he met his judgement when trying to go into my garage but now I have to wonder if there is a nest near by. 1st one must have been a parent because he was way bigger than the 2nd.

F880470A-6583-4468-8758-0F45EEAA6623.jpeg

BA604293-702E-45FD-A53A-B74FEB8C89A2.jpeg

Certainly looks like it could kill a fellow. 

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

We've seen a huge increase in coral snake sightings this year in the neighborhood, which seems to match other folks as well.

There has to be a scientific reason for what makes this year different.  Anybody know?  Other than "forget it Jake, it's 2020".

Nope, it's 2020, take the length....

8 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

We've seen a huge increase in coral snake sightings this year in the neighborhood, which seems to match other folks as well.

There has to be a scientific reason for what makes this year different.  Anybody know?  Other than "forget it Jake, it's 2020".

People are home more, outdoors more?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

People are home more, outdoors more?

Huh.  Obvious answer is obvious.  I guess that makes sense, although I am pretty active regardless of pandemic status and have seen more this year than probably the last 3-4 years combined.  But that's just one data point.

2 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

Huh.  Obvious answer is obvious.  I guess that makes sense, although I am pretty active regardless of pandemic status and have seen more this year than probably the last 3-4 years combined.  But that's just one data point.

Certainly. I was just spit ballin, but keeping it in mind to compare with the next few years might not be a bad thing. You never know, for just going off instinct, animals are pretty smart and more sensitive to changes. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This little feller decided to take up residence inside an irrigation system valve access in a flower bed at the front of my joint.  Of course, that caused Crystal Palace to go to DEFCON 1 and spark plugs were pissed on.  I got the alert at 9 am and didn’t get home until 7:30 pm so snek got one more night to do snek stuff in our flower bed.

I waited until the cold morning when he was lethargic to snatch him up and relocate him to the nearby wooded park. 

It’s a pretty hognose with great markings.  

Enjoy yourself, snek. 

921A85A6-5440-4C16-BB1B-B5844CE75922.jpeg

78BC8926-434A-4162-A3F4-266E40E92DBF.jpeg

92FCBCEE-31C8-4A62-8854-7B9D9DFB929D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I heard the stupidest shit I’ve heard in a good year or so.

Thank God not my wife, but a wife at the zoo today, talking to her kid while we visited the herpetarium:

”Snakes don’t have bones. They have exoskeletons, their skin is like their bones. They have to shed it when it gets too rigid.”

Very, very hard not to go over and tell the kid not to listen to his mom, ever. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2021 at 10:01 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Today I heard the stupidest shit I’ve heard in a good year or so.

Thank God not my wife, but a wife at the zoo today, talking to her kid while we visited the herpetarium:

”Snakes don’t have bones. They have exoskeletons, their skin is like their bones. They have to shed it when it gets too rigid.”

Very, very hard not to go over and tell the kid not to listen to his mom, ever. 

I was at the Ft Worth zoo a few years back and this woman was loudly and confidently telling people the plural of fox was fox.  I was laughing for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

i'm pretty sure i was wrong to call this a "Texas" Rough Earth Snake, but i still enjoyed saving him.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMp3obSnafO/?igshid=15rghxq1jfaui

also my mom continues to be hilarious. she asked me what i wanted to name him, and I, thinking of March Madness, said, "ima name him TJ." and she said, "Ibeh? Wee-Bey? Wee-Bey?!?!" (she loves The Wire. i recently posted an anecdote of her yelling out "got them yellow tops!" while i was trying to shoot baskets in the backyard). so once she got all excited about Wee-Bey i was pretty much on board with it, lol. 

also, god damn it, i am somehow still not used to IG not being able to embed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NorthLoop said:

Young copperhead? 

Has a short body like a moccasin but I feel like that's just cuz it's young. Could just be a young chicken/rat snake that has copperhead camo. 

I thought copperhead at first but pics I found online just don't match. It was striking out just by me getting close to take a pic. 

13 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Young copperhead? 

Has a short body like a moccasin but I feel like that's just cuz it's young. Could just be a young chicken/rat snake that has copperhead camo. 

Juvy copperheads typically have a yellow tail, and that just seems way to dark for a copperhead.