¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

diamondback_water_snake01.jpg

Diamondback water snakes will flatten their head making it look triangular.

Yep - In this case the pupil (obvious if you can get that close) and the vertical stripes on the jaw are the give-way that its non-venomous diamondback or yellow-bellied water snake.

An Indian woman who was bitten by a snake in her sleep and unknowingly breastfed poisoned milk to her daughter has died along with the child, police said Friday.  

The 35-year-old woman from Uttar Pradesh state did not realise she had been bitten when she woke and breastfed her daughter.

The three-year-old girl and the mother fell ill on Thursday and both died before they could reach hospital, policeinspector Vijay Singh told AFP.

The family spotted the snake in another room but the creature escaped.

India is home to some 300 snake species and 60 are highly venomous, including the Indian cobra, krait, Russell's viper and saw-scaled viper.

India accounts for 46,000 of the 100,000 snakebite deaths around the world each year, according to a 2011 study by the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-05-indian-child-dies-mother-snake.html

I've had this nightmare multiple times...where the entire porch/yard is littered with rattlesnakes:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/ec93fcca-8932-374b-b5e0-7022b66d8f5b/ss_california-woman-opens-door.html

June 1 (UPI) -- A California woman opened her front door to discover a deadly rattlesnake on her front porch -- and it didn't come to the house alone.

Bella Trujillo said she opened the front door to her Benicia home on this week and discovered the entrance was blocked by a northern pacific rattlesnake.

"We were like, 'Step back, go back, go backwards, don't go there!'" she told KGO-TV.

Lou Fraser of Rattlesnake Removal USA responded to the home with his snake-sniffing dog, Peaches. He said a total three rattlesnakes were removed from Trujillo's property, including a small one that he might have missed if not for Peaches' snake sniffing skills.

Fraser said the snake season is in full swing, so business is booming.

"I started in Dixon, then St. Helena, then Santa Rosa, now in Benicia, Fairfield, after this," he said.

Fraser said snakes are less likely to occupy clean yards with lots of activity. He said having pets in a home can also help ward off the venomous reptiles.

"We don't want our pets to get bit, but honestly, the scent of a dog and the scent of a cat with deter animals like this," he told KTXL-TV.

Edited by Uncle Nate

On 5/25/2018 at 9:53 PM, NorthLoop said:

60 highly venomous species.... to our what.. 4? 

Jesus. 

we say 4 but there's about 20 kinds of rattlesnek.  texas has 10 species of snek, with some of those having a couple few subspecies for 17 different type of venomous snek.  looks like arizona is the snekiest state with 15 species and 19 types. 

Edited by elfenix

Went out snek hunting today.  Only one I saw was this juvenile broad banded water snake.  At first I thought it was a juvenile copperhead.  Fast little bastard. 
27631449597_1540e87a54_b.jpg

Love this snek. I caught one a few years back and kept him in a 40 gallon aquarium. It was awesome watching him gobble up minnows by the dozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Fuck this.

A Corpus Christi man is still recovering after he was bitten by a rattlesnake, even after the snake had already been beheaded.

It happened the weekend of May 27 at a residence near Lake Corpus Christi.

Jennifer Sutcliffe and her husband were doing weekend yard work when she spotted a four-foot rattlesnake. She said her husband quickly took his shovel and severed the snake's head, but moments later when he bent down to dispose of the snake, the snake's head bit him.

"Which in that case since there is no body, it released all its venom into him at that point, so he had a lot of venoms," Sutcliffe said.

Sutcliffe called 911 and began driving her husband to the hospital. He immediately began having seizures, lost his vision and experienced internal bleeding.

Sutcliffe couldn't get her husband to the hospital fast enough, so she met up with an ambulance.

"They HALO-Flighted him into the hospital," Sutcliffe said.

Sutcliffe said the first 24 hours were the worst. Doctors told her husband might not make it, even after giving him vast amounts of antivenom.

"A normal person who is going to get bit is going to get two to four doses of antivenom," Sutcliffe said. "He had to have 26 doses."

Sutcliffe's husband is now in stable condition, but his kidney function is still weak.

She said her husband quickly took his shovel and severed the snake's head, but moments later when he bent down to dispose of the snake, the snake's head bit him.

"Which in that case since there is no body, it released all its venom into him at that point, so he had a lot of venoms," Sutcliffe said.

That this is possible and actually happened will haunt my dreams forever.  Thanks.  

You have the shovel...that's what the shovel is for...you want to dispose of the body, use the shovel.  I ain't touching no snake...dead or alive...especially not the head that has two hypodermic needles filled to the brim with poison ready to be injected into me.

• Like 1

Incredible.  26 doses is hard to fathom.  Does he get a volume discount?  Also, interesting article from several years ago regarding the cost of antivenom.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/09/09/the-crazy-reason-it-costs-14000-to-treat-a-snakebite-with-14-medicine/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c59f3e1fc42c

Serious question, and maybe this should go in the "stupid question amnesty" category, but why can I get a rattlesnake vaccine for my dog and not for me or my family?  Not sure if it really works on the pup (hope I never have to find out), but it was worth the minimal investment to roll the dice. 

Is the reason that there isn't a human vaccine due to cost?  Or demand?  Or liability?  Or genetics?  I have no clue.

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

26 doses!! Holy Shit.  Isn't that like $40k/dose, no coverage...

$2300 per vial back in 2014 - Only one company makes it - 

There are no other competitors in the market, and because of that, in 2014, BTG closed out around $100 million. For one hospital vial, the price is around $2,300. A typical treatment dose? That requires four to six vials. So for a single, smaller rattlesnake bite that would need four vials of antivenin, the cost is $9,200.

I'm no fan of health insurance companies, but in this case I sort of hope they have a clause buried deep in the policy's fine print that excludes dumbassery from coverage.

Had forgotten all about this thread, so allow me to contribute.

Last Thursday evening about 7:30 my wife called me in hysterics that a "snake" had climbed into the dryer vent.  I told her to get a soaking wet towel and throw it in the dryer and turn it on wide open and be ready with a hoe.   About 4 minutes later she called back that it had worked and the snake was dead, and she was leaving it there for me to identify when I got home Friday.

Fast forward to Friday morning about 10:00am.   She called again saying she had killed another one by the driveway when she was getting ready to leave for work.  Again she said she wasn't moving it, but thought it was the same type snake as the first one.   I get home about 2pm Friday and go out to check the snakes, both of which were cottonmouths.  About 45 minutes later I go out back and damn, there's another one on the back porch.   I killed that one also. 
About an hour later I go back on the back porch and just as I start to sit down I notice something on the far edge of the chair cushion, it's the back end of a snake.  I step back and easy the chair away from the wall and see the thing wrapped around the back cross bar of the lawn chair.  Not wanting to destroy the chair, I start swinging at its head with a machete missing it two or three times.  Snake gets the hint and hauls ass down to the concrete with me swinging and missing trying not to break anything.   The damned thing heads straight between the wall and the mini fridge we have on the back porch and into the motor compartment.  After several minutes of poking underneath it with the machete and shaking the fridge it starts to come out, and I nailed it with the hoe.

All four, cottonmouths, 5'-6' in less than 24 hours.  Haven't seen another one since thank God.

Two weeks prior we had killed one on the back porch also.  The only good snake is a dead snake.

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Had forgotten all about this thread, so allow me to contribute.

Last Thursday evening about 7:30 my wife called me in hysterics that a "snake" had climbed into the dryer vent.  I told her to get a soaking wet towel and throw it in the dryer and turn it on wide open and be ready with a hoe.   About 4 minutes later she called back that it had worked and the snake was dead, and she was leaving it there for me to identify when I got home Friday.

Fast forward to Friday morning about 10:00am.   She called again saying she had killed another one by the driveway when she was getting ready to leave for work.  Again she said she wasn't moving it, but thought it was the same type snake as the first one.   I get home about 2pm Friday and go out to check the snakes, both of which were cottonmouths.  About 45 minutes later I go out back and damn, there's another one on the back porch.   I killed that one also. 
About an hour later I go back on the back porch and just as I start to sit down I notice something on the far edge of the chair cushion, it's the back end of a snake.  I step back and easy the chair away from the wall and see the thing wrapped around the back cross bar of the lawn chair.  Not wanting to destroy the chair, I start swinging at its head with a machete missing it two or three times.  Snake gets the hint and hauls ass down to the concrete with me swinging and missing trying not to break anything.   The damned thing heads straight between the wall and the mini fridge we have on the back porch and into the motor compartment.  After several minutes of poking underneath it with the machete and shaking the fridge it starts to come out, and I nailed it with the hoe.

All four, cottonmouths, 5'-6' in less than 24 hours.  Haven't seen another one since thank God.

Two weeks prior we had killed one on the back porch also.  The only good snake is a dead snake.

Let's see $300 for a new fridge, $14k for fixing wall outside dryer vent, $15k for new patio, $100 for new chair.  Throw in extra for good measure and that snek infestation would've cost my insurance company $30-40k.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

$2300 per vial back in 2014 - Only one company makes it - 

I'm no fan of health insurance companies, but in this case I sort of hope they have a clause buried deep in the policy's fine print that excludes dumbassery from coverage.

Cool.  Obviously was way off, but that's still a lot of scratch for some snek handlin dumbassery  

Saw two at the lake last weekend.  Will try to get the photographers to send me their pictures.  One was on a felled cypress tree in the water.  The other was wrapped around my boat prop taking a nap when the boat was on the lift.  More to come.

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

attach using tapatalk rather than uploading to imgur.  people not using tapatalk can't see imgur links cuz reasons. 

Neither can people using regular 'puters.  Use Imgbb or Tinypic.