¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

1 hour ago, Homesickhorn said:

Here’s a closer view I got of him.

https://imgur.com/gallery/b8TFvVj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamondback water snek.....vertical stripes on his jaw and his round pupil are the give-away.  Easy for me to say looking at a computer and not worried abut his ass climbing in the boat however....

Diamondback water snek.....vertical stripes on his jaw and his round pupil are the give-away.  Easy for me to say looking at a computer and not worried abut his ass climbing in the boat however....

I guess the video has no sound, but I identified him verbally. Cool dude, actually sent fish towards my hook a few times.

'tks for saving me from snek'  -horny toad, probably.

That’s awesome. I’d love to catch one of those in the wild.

Here’s what happened when I left Marble Falls for Matagorda. Apparently snek made a phone call to a cousin.

https://i.imgur.com/FEX3fzA.mp4

Here’s part 2. Buh bye.

https://i.imgur.com/IP7brMw.mp4

http://animals.mom.me/can-keep-mongoose-pet-2117.html

(Not my mom)

CAN I KEEP A MONGOOSE AS A PET?

By Martha Adams
200329192-001_XS.jpg  

Keeping a wild animal such a mongoose as a pet is iffy at best. As the mongoose is already present in force in Hawaii and Puerto Rico, there's no problem keeping one as a pet there. How how many are kept illegally in the rest of the United States is anybody's guess -- nobody's likely to advertise that.

Mongoose

The mongoose is a member of the civet family, smaller than a domestic cat but larger than a squirrel. This carnivore preys on small rodents, birds and reptiles, and it can threaten the ecological balance of a habitat.

They were introduced to Hawaii and Puerto Rico in the late 1800s to control rats on sugar plantations. This project was ineffective because a mongoose hunts in the daytime, while rats come out at night. Instead they ate native lizards and birds -- and their eggs -- to the extinction of several species. In Puerto Rico they also ate snakes.

In North America the mongoose has been prevented from establishing a breeding population except on tropical islands. There they do some $50 million in damage a year, principally to the poultry industry.

Federal Regulations

The Lacey Act of 1900 forbade importing only the small Indian mongoose (Herpestes ailuropunctatus). The same act as amended up to 2006 lists 7 of 19 species of mongoose (at least 30 species are known) as injurious ones for which no import permit can be issued. The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service has no health requirements for the importation of mongooses, except those that have been inoculated with a pathogen for scientific purposes.

If you can obtain a mongoose that is not on the federal banned list and is not intended for a research laboratory, you might be able to get a permit to keep it as a pet.

There once was a legal mongoose in the continental United States. Mr. Magoo, an Indian mongoose, came in on a freighter in 1962 and was donated to the Duluth Zoo. The feds heard about him and passed a death sentence; apparently they feared he would flood the nation with babies all by himself. After a public outcry, he was pardoned by President Kennedy. He lived at the zoo as a legal temporary resident until he died in 1968.

Other Laws

Some state haves strict rules for the keeping, housing and maintenance of captive wild animals. Florida requires that you be at least 16 years old, obtain a permit, be examined for knowledge of the animal and its needs, and provide quarters and diet as described in exhaustive detail.

Texas is less demanding, requiring a license to possess a "dangerous wild animal," but the mongoose is not on that state's no-no list.

If you got to that level, you would still need to conform to any county/parish and municipal ordinances related to keeping a wild animal as a pet.

Child of the Wild

Befriend a young mongoose in the wild, where he is free to come and go and socialize with humans and other mongooses, and you will have a good friend who will help keep your house free of pests. Take him out of his native habitat, confine him to a cage and limit his associations to humans, and he might not be so consistently friendly. Not all your friends will enjoy having a mongoose run up their legs (covered or bare), sit on their shoulder, chatter in their ear and nip them if they try to touch him.

A group-living mongoose will suffer from isolation, and the solitary type might have differences with other pets. It could be difficult to get appropriate medical care for such an exotic pet.

Wild animals tend to make poor pets for all but the few who are willing to accept their instincts and habits, and to overlook or treasure their unpredictable and uncivilized behavior.

Their entire diet consists of those large red harvester ants. Do not kill those ants if you have horny toads in your area. Those pics were taken on our place in the Texas panhandle. We have tons of them up there. We stopped using pesticides on our wheat crops 30 years ago because it was killing the ants. Thus, we are loaded with horny toads. This time of year you can drive the ranch roads and easily see 20 per day.

• Like 6

A couple of days ago our dogs alerted us to a snake coiled up behind two outside water bowls during their last time out for the evening. Rattle snake. Snake gets the shovel and we inspect all the dogs for any signs of a bite. Nothing! The next morning we get up and our lab has a moderately swollen face. Little baby 3 rattle popped him on the side of the face. Vet said that Colt was lucky to have only gotten a small dose of venom and that it didn’t hurt that he weighs close to a hundred. Three days later and he looks normal again.

So glad it wasn’t one of our smaller 20-30 pound dogs.

http:// https://www.click2houston.com/news/deputy-snags-blue-indigo-snake-from-bee-county-bathroom-vanity

BEEVILLE, Texas - A Bee County man was cleaning the bathroom at his home when his 6-year-old son said he saw a snake slithering out of their toilet.

Wade Velock said he ran so fast he knocked down his son.

Deputies with the Bee County Sheriff's Office were called to the home on County Road 407, authorities said.

Bee County Sheriff's Office

Deputy Lindsay Scotten found the snake, which appeared to be about 5 feet long, in the bathroom vanity, and then released it into the brush. It was identified as a blue indigo. It wasn’t hurt.

Vielock said Scotten told him she has trouble dealing with cockroaches, but is OK handling snakes.

“There has been an increase in snake calls this year due to the weather, and residents are encouraged to be aware of their surroundings,” the Sheriff’s Office said. “Blue indigos are nonvenomous and will eat venomous snakes. If you encounter a snake in or around your residence, you can contact the Sheriff's Office for assistance.”

crop-640x360-000.jpg

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

http:// https://www.click2houston.com/news/deputy-snags-blue-indigo-snake-from-bee-county-bathroom-vanity

BEEVILLE, Texas - A Bee County man was cleaning the bathroom at his home when his 6-year-old son said he saw a snake slithering out of their toilet.

Wade Velock said he ran so fast he knocked down his son.

e6c646e675e5.gif?w=590

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Stepped right in the middle of a 3 foot rattlebug Thursday night chasing pigs. No rattle, no strike.  Wouldn't have ever notice it had I not been wearing leather sole boots and felt it. It slithered off into a patch of cactus where we found two more. Probably should have bought a lotto ticket immediately afterward. 

3 is probably enough to make a snake skin cod piece.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my fondest memories of my dad, Professor JBB, PhD was on a collecting trip about 1971.  He had found a rough green snake (opheodrys aestivus) and brought it to the truck, sporting a miniscule slightly bloody wound to the thumb.  "He bitted me", pronounced the professor...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

so about the rattlesnek and the fawn....

i'm thinking the snek happened upon the dead fawn and ate it.  the idea of the snek striking the fawn and then tracking it down and eating it are probably pretty slim.  certainly it didn't hunt the fawn, right?

A rattlesnake will strike it's prey and follow the scent. It's prey doesn't die immediately. Snakes are good at detecting scent. My son's kingsnake will run a mouse down from a distance if it picks up the scent trail.