¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

Where do you live? Moc and a copperhead spotted on the same hike?

Houston. But this was at a park near humble. Actually a really cool park called the Jesse H Jones Nature Center. It has an old cypress swamp with a boardwalk trail. Some of the biggest magnolia and bald cypress trees I have seen.

Sidewalk Snake

FWStartlegram.com

white%20snake_fitted.photo

A white rattlesnake spotted Wednesday at a Texas park has produced a collective shudder across the country, after a photo of the snake was shared thousands of times on Facebook.

It’s not an albino. Called a banded rock rattlesnake, the seldom seen species of pit viper has a spotty distribution in only three states along the Mexican border (Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas), and is known for having a powerful bite, say experts.

The photo was posted Wednesday by The Wyler Aerial Tramway State Park in Texas, a 195-acre park within the Franklin Mountains. “We had this little friend come and cool down by one of the doors at the park,” said the post, adding “rattlesnakes won’t strike unless provoked.”

ReptilesMagazine.com says ”banded rock rattlesnakes are very cryptic in nature and not commonly observed because of their coloration, small size and speed.”

They typically grow to only about 2 feet in length, according to the Smithsonian National Zoo, which means the one found at the park appears to be bigger than average.

They also have a “potent venom,” according to SnakesOfAz.com. “If encountered it should be left alone,” says the website.

Reaction to the idea of snake that blends in with concrete has grown steadily as media outlets have carried stories of the photo. The park’s Facebook post had been shared more than 6,400 times in two days and drawn 1,000-plus comments, many expressing fear.

At least one commenter suggested the snake was a new rattlesnake-python hybred.

“Now a brotha ain’t even safe on concrete?!” wrote Keven Lucas in response to photo.

“Nope, Nope, Nope!!!!!!” posted Giselle Miranda Martino.

“Shiver!!! All I’m gonna say !!! Oh and EEEEKKK,” said Carol Ann Duncan Graham.

“Now they’re getting scary,” posted Craig South.

“Beautiful and deadly. Man I have never seen color on a rattlesnake in my life,” posted Pebbles Adrian.

Houston. But this was at a park near humble. Actually a really cool park called the Jesse H Jones Nature Center. It has an old cypress swamp with a boardwalk trail. Some of the biggest magnolia and bald cypress trees I have seen.

There is a park south of Sugar Land that is loaded with water moccasins. On a walk around a small pond, we saw five in the water. And yes, every one of those five swam towards us when they saw us.

Seabourne Creek Nature Park. No dogs allowed.

I’ll check it out, thanks.

As for cottonmouths approaching people, I would guess it has more to do with the snakes associating people with fishing. Free and easy meals. I nearly stepped on one at the prison there in sugar land and it took off. Definitely didn’t chase me. Haha.

19 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Swayze, more I look at your copperhead photo the more I enjoy it. Who needs picasso? That image is great. Mag quality without a doubt. 

Thanks man.  Here are a couple more.  He was really chill.  I wish my shot of him coiled up had come out.  I lifted up some bark and there he was just waiting out the day.  The Cottonmouth was kind of a prick, but I think I would be too if someone grabbed me with tongs.  Speaking of which, the ones I have suck.  Need to get some better ones.

41598977420_c48489a975_b.jpg

This one I took with my macro lens.  I reckon I was about 2 feet from him.

28537436907_02748c566f_b.jpg

• Like 6

I’d recommend not getting 2 ft from a rattlesnek.   Especially the concrete rattlesnek

Well, yeah...but a few things to factor. Snakes demeanor (this one was very calm, even when I moved it), it was maybe two feet long, so it’s striking distance when coiled is just over a foot. Finally, I closed the snake tongs on it and laid them down, I cropped that out hahaha. He wasn’t going anywhere.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Those are great pix, Swayze.  I've always thought copperheads were cool looking snakes, but kind of didn't let my mind go there.

I'm not a big wuss about snakes, but what's this shit about tongs?  Also bark flipping?

Thanks.  I think pit vipers are amazing predators.  Got to respect them.  I don't fault anyone for killing them when found around their house, especially if they have kids or pets. 

Yeah, I have been trying to do some different photography than I usually do.  So that requires actively looking for subjects.  They like to hide.

Here is the asshole Cottonmouth close up.

43407148311_805ae07b13_b.jpg

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Thanks.  I think pit vipers are amazing predators.  Got to respect them.  I don't fault anyone for killing them when found around their house, especially if they have kids or pets. 

Yeah, I have been trying to do some different photography than I usually do.  So that requires actively looking for subjects.  They like to hide.

Here is the asshole Cottonmouth close up.

43407148311_805ae07b13_b.jpg

Meh, that's a salamander in a snake costume.

• Like 1

I love the whole "it's a myth" bullshit with cottonmouths being aggressive. I grew up in east TX and have had many many cottonmouths swim towards me. Now, were they just curious? Maybe. But I didn't stick around to find out. 

I grew up on a creek and we would hunt for snakes all summer. I have never had one chase me. This one I recently caught immediately tried to get away (and continued to do so).

I love the whole "it's a myth" bullshit with cottonmouths being aggressive. I grew up in east TX and have had many many cottonmouths swim towards me. Now, were they just curious? Maybe. But I didn't stick around to find out. 

Seconded. Maybe East Texas cottonmouths have more attitude.

Swimming towards you isn’t chasing or attacking. I’m gonna need to see some proof of these snakes chasing people. Just one video.

Any of you east Texas Nancy boys ever come across a timber rattler? Closest to me that I have heard of sightings of them já the woodlands.

In the creeks of Austin they would always come after us when we’d be splashing around. I did not ask said cottonmouths their motivations. Maybe they just wanted to snuggle.

Swimming towards you isn’t chasing or attacking. I’m gonna need to see some proof of these snakes chasing people. Just one video.

Any of you east Texas Nancy boys ever come across a timber rattler? Closest to me that I have heard of sightings of them já the woodlands.

I saw a dead one hanging on a fence that our neighbor killed back in the late 80s/early 90s. It’s the only one I’ve ever seen outside of a field book.
  • Like 1

Honestly never even seen a live rattler in the wild. And at 45 y/o, hope I never do. The ones I've seen the pulp wood guys kill are enough.

As for the 'cottonmouth' myth, I don't know if it's curiosity or what. I am not waiting for him to declare his intentions. As they say curiosity killed the cat(and the cottonmouth).

Swayze, you are brave(stupid) mofo. Great pics.

• Like 2