DFW breweries

Jive Turkey

Figured we ought to have one of these.

Guide Live has an article today about 13 new breweries in the DF-Dub.

I'm excited about Oak Cliff Brewing.  But lots of others in and around the Metroplex.

Also didn't know that a new brewery - Steam Theory - is going in at Four Corner's old spot in Trinity Groves.

https://www.guidelive.com/craft-beer/2018/07/31/find-new-breweries-dallas-fort-worth

Edited by Jive Turkey

Peticolas is still my favorite. I just wish they'd get around to bottling/canning at some point. I think I read somewhere recently that the farthest you can enjoy Peticolas from the brewery is 39 miles. (I was a little excited to see one of the Peticolas kids is in my 5th grader's homeroom class for this coming school year. Got a great idea for a Parents' Night!!!!)

• Like 2

My current favorite local brewery is Turning Point in Bedford (yes, Bedford). Great quality brews (IPAs in particular), a lot of them and they’re canning new beers seemingly every week (that you pick up there at the brewery).

Had Oak Cliff’s NE IPA this weekend and it was tasty to quite tasty.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 10:28 AM, Jive Turkey said:

Figured we ought to have one of these.

Guide Live has an article today about 13 new breweries in the DF-Dub.

I'm excited about Oak Cliff Brewing.  But lots of others in and around the Metroplex.

Also didn't know that a new brewery - Steam Theory - is going in at Four Corner's old spot in Trinity Groves.

https://www.guidelive.com/craft-beer/2018/07/31/find-new-breweries-dallas-fort-worth

Buddy of mine's brother is the chef at the new place in Trinity Groves.  Going to try to get over there soon.

On 8/17/2018 at 2:59 PM, C-Man said:

Peticolas is still my favorite. I just wish they'd get around to bottling/canning at some point. I think I read somewhere recently that the farthest you can enjoy Peticolas from the brewery is 39 miles. (I was a little excited to see one of the Peticolas kids is in my 5th grader's homeroom class for this coming school year. Got a great idea for a Parents' Night!!!!)

I'm very close friends with the Peticolae.  I met Michael in law school in the late 90s and try to make it up to Dallas a couple of times per year to hang out (usually schedule it around the concert calendar).  I also brewed the second batch of Velvet Hammer with him back in early 2012.  Great people. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I'm very close friends with the Peticolae.  I met Michael in law school in the late 90s and try to make it up to Dallas a couple of times per year to hang out (usually schedule it around the concert calendar).  I also brewed the second batch of Velvet Hammer with him back in early 2012.  Great people. 

That's really cool. I know Michael a little bit from bumping into him around town and at the brewery.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

That's really cool. I know Michael a little bit from bumping into him around town and at the brewery.

He's definitely around town a lot.  That's the tough part of being the face of the brewery, I'd guess.  Lots of time out representing the business after work.  Especially early on.

15 hours ago, dcbc said:

True Love is solid.  I have not found a raspberry sour in a can that has disappointed me yet.  Great beer style for the Texas summer.

The pilsner is fantastic. Unfortunately, they don't offer it year-round, I don't think.

I've gotten to the point where I mostly drink lighter, Kolsch or pilsner beer these days. Rarely do I want an IPA anymore and those used to be my jam.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 8:48 PM, mdleast said:

My current favorite local brewery is Turning Point in Bedford (yes, Bedford). Great quality brews (IPAs in particular), a lot of them and they’re canning new beers seemingly every week (that you pick up there at the brewery).

Had Oak Cliff’s NE IPA this weekend and it was tasty to quite tasty.

Interdasting. Need to find this.

Lakewood is my most frequented, but that's partly due to convenience/location. I do really love their stuff too though. 

Edited by CBT
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 10:15 AM, C-Man said:

The pilsner is fantastic. Unfortunately, they don't offer it year-round, I don't think.

I've gotten to the point where I mostly drink lighter, Kolsch or pilsner beer these days. Rarely do I want an IPA anymore and those used to be my jam.

Preach.  Pilsner, Kolsch, Pale Ale, Helles.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 8:45 PM, threesheets said:

Peticolas Royal Scandal is the best local beer I've had. Wish that one had taken off like the Hammer did. 

Agreed.  It's their best beer, in my opinion. My wife named it.  I'd grabbed a keg of it while in Dallas and was drinking one when they one Gold at GABF for it in their first year.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, threesheets said:

Props to your wife- always loved that name.  Love to hear the rest of that story if you feel like telling it. 

We're friends of the Peticolae from law school.  I've been home brewing for a while and the brewery thing on his end involved a lot of talk, both before and during.  I named the first three beers released (Velvet Hammer, Great Scot, and Golden Opportunity) and my wife named Royal Scandal (the last of the four original beers).  I've named a large handful of others since then.  I also helped brew the second batch of VH.

Royal Scandal was inspired by the Royal Wedding, talked about like the SD album, Royal Scam, then went  tabloid with Scandal. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 4:42 PM, C-Man said:

Have discovered my son has become good buddies with Michael's kid at school and they play XBox online all the time. Told him to keep cultivating that friendship!

Are they playing that "futuristic cars playing soccer" game.  That's what GP and I played the last time I was there.  Who am I kidding.  It's Fortnite. 

But seriously, definitely cultivate the friendship.  The Peticolae kids are cool. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

Are they playing that "futuristic cars playing soccer" game.  That's what GP and I played the last time I was there.  Who am I kidding.  It's Fortnite. 

But seriously, definitely cultivate the friendship.  The Peticolae kids are cool. 

Fuck, I play Rocket League. That game is awesome — but, yes, they’re playing Fortnite.
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Bumped into Michael Peticolas (and Michelle) at school today for our kids' choir performance. Naturally, they're pretty damn excited about the Sunset law that passed the Senate yesterday and just needs to be signed by Gov Abbott (now that BEK and Andrews are on-board, it's just a formality). Anyway, after congratulating him, he confirmed that this news means they probably start bottling/canning, which is awesome! (BTW, their new Bicycle Pump pilsner was/is the tits!)

He's a good dude- I worked with him on events in the past.  He was also the recipient of an email fuck up of mine when I first got into event production. We were  doing a beer event and I was inviting all the local breweries, and to save time I came up with a canned email and just changed out the name of the brewery.  It wasn't until after I'd sent his that I realized it said "...we'd love to have Franconia involved."  Peticolas is my favorite brewery so it double sucked to screw that one up.  So I scrambled and apologized and even (truthfully) pointed out that Royal Scandal is my favorite beer of all time.  He was super cool about it and has been since.  /csb

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 1:56 PM, C-Man said:

Bumped into Michael Peticolas (and Michelle) at school today for our kids' choir performance. Naturally, they're pretty damn excited about the Sunset law that passed the Senate yesterday and just needs to be signed by Gov Abbott (now that BEK and Andrews are on-board, it's just a formality). Anyway, after congratulating him, he confirmed that this news means they probably start bottling/canning, which is awesome! (BTW, their new Bicycle Pump pilsner was/is the tits!)

Melissa

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...